HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me a quick break down comparison of features and "look" between a 416a5 lower vs a modern AR lower?

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a whole MR556 or just get a MR556 upper and throw it on a US made AR lower, but I'd still like it to have the look of a 416.

I can see that the A1 mag well looks very different than an AR lower, but the A5 seems to have adapted the slated mag well.

So other than the better quality HK manufactured lower, is there some other reason to go with the HK lower instead?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
700 Posts
The A5 lowers are some of the nicest fully ambi lowers you can get. The pinned 416A5 feature list should show plenty of info.

·
Registered
430 Posts
+1 for Baljar, the A5 has all of the neat aftermarket features your AR15 needs in 1 proven package. The application of the ambi concept has been implemented out well.

One thing I noticed though, when I swapped grip to the ERGO, the spring tension on the selector lever made the safety switch a bit more harder to flip around. Whereas when I swapped again with the HK V7, the safety switch became again more easy to flip. Coincidence? The difference was not big but noticeable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
when I swapped grip to the ERGO, the spring tension on the selector lever made the safety switch a bit more harder to flip around.
The hole in the Ergo grip for the spring is probably not as deep. It should be easy to drill a little deeper.

·
Registered
583 Posts
How would one even acquire an A5 lower? I thought that was military/LE only, no civilian sales; the MR223A3 also has the ambi lower, but that's not available for import as far as I know.

IMO, the only real advantage the MR556A1 lower would have would be the ability to be put on safe regardless of the position of the hammer. A nice feature, but to me, I'd rather have magazine compatibility and the standard AR trigger compatibility; there are some seriously nice aftermarket fully ambidextrous lowers, too, such as the LMT MARS-L, AXTS AX556, ADM UIC, etc.

·
Registered
430 Posts
agree, if you don't have access to the MR223 A3 via any means the discussion is purely conceptual

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,582 Posts
I thought the A3 and A5 were both Ambi lowers and essentially the same. The only notable difference between the A3 and A5 was the adjustable gas block on the upper.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I thought the A3 and A5 were both Ambi lowers and essentially the same. The only notable difference between the A3 and A5 was the adjustable gas block on the upper.
And select fire capability. But yes, apart from that, the 416A5 and MR223A3 are the same, including OTB, Chrome Barrel etc.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,582 Posts
And select fire capability. But yes, apart from that, the 416A5 and MR223A3 are the same, including OTB, Chrome Barrel etc.
Thanks for confirming!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only ask the question because I'm buy a 416 upper. Beyond that I'm trying decide between buying a MR556 lower, buying an 80% 416 Clone Lower milling it and having it engraved or maybe just sticking with a modern AR lower.

As always thanks for all of the input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts