HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys what mount would you recommend for a S&B 1-8 or 1-4 short dot optic? I was thinking of Bobro Dual lever Precision Optic Mount 34mm Rings would 0 MOA or 20 MOA.

Thanks

leib

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Why not run a Spuhr or the mount that HK uses with their G28P optic (S&B 1-8) which is Era-Tac?

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I tried to find it, but someone recently posted a mangled top rail from a Bobro. The roll pin on the bottom was digging into rail sections and leaving a nice indent mark. Curious how you don't see much Bobro/ADM use from big-name, dialed-in types rarely rock either of these.

Era-Tac's are fine mounts but I found them to be rather clunky and heavy.
I have about 8 or 9 Geissele mounts and have been systematically phasing out my Larue's. I refuse to pay full, non-holiday sale price though...they're not that super.
Spuhr's are tried, true and have a good following in the precision world for a reason. Probably overkill for a 1-whatever. RRS (Really Right Stuff) has a nice optic mount as well that should be considered if the accessory points on the Spuhr aren't required. I have an Ultra Short in a RRS and it's going well.
I still have one Badger Ord in the mix that has served me well. GTG, but I'm to understand the Geissele mounts were meant to meet a requirement that BO wasn't meeting.
NF is GTG...sadly, you have to want 20MOA; no 0 MOA cant at this time.
KAC...Decent mounts, but too much $$$ for what they are. They'd be perfect for $175.
Larue...their number is up. Their "slightly better than ARMs" throw lever has always been a point of debate. Also, It's been known in the optic world that vertical split ring is a flawed design. That cat's out of the bag now; there's no point in dealing with Larue anymore.
Galli's vindication on Larue/Split ring: http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/return-to-zero-failures.6483776/

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried to find it, but someone recently posted a mangled top rail from a Bobro. The roll pin on the bottom was digging into rail sections and leaving a nice indent mark. Curious how you don't see much Bobro/ADM use from big-name, dialed-in types rarely rock either of these.

Era-Tac's are fine mounts but I found them to be rather clunky and heavy.
I have about 8 or 9 Geissele mounts and have been systematically phasing out my Larue's. I refuse to pay full, non-holiday sale price though...they're not that super.
Spuhr's are tried, true and have a good following in the precision world for a reason. Probably overkill for a 1-whatever. RRS (Really Right Stuff) has a nice optic as well that should be considered if the accessory points on the Spuhr aren't required.
I still have one Badger Ord in the mix that has served me well. GTG, but I'm to understand the Geissele mounts were meant to meet a requirement that BO wasn't meeting.
KAC...Decent mounts, but too much $$$ for what they are. They'd be perfect for $175.
Larue...their number is up. Their "slightly better than ARMs" throw lever has always been a point of debate. Also, It's been known in the optic world that vertical split ring is a flawed design. That cat's out of the bag now; there's no point in dealing with Larue anymore.
Not too kiss ass but you are pretty dialed in on this. Great post.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Built in elevation is not a function of the gun/round, but of the mechanics of the optic and the amount of travel available after zeroing.
Travel available is absolutely useless if the round used is subsonic by the time travel limits come into play. Which is what will be the case with a 16in rifle and a 1-8 S+B using wet towel .308. You will not need build in elevation with any .308 rifle with a half decent scope, simply because .308 runs out of breath pretty much at around 1000m even on very hot rounds and long barrels.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Travel available is absolutely useless if the round used is subsonic by the time travel limits come into play. Which is what will be the case with a 16in rifle and a 1-8 S+B using wet towel .308. You will not need build in elevation with any .308 rifle with a half decent scope, simply because .308 runs out of breath pretty much at around 1000m even on very hot rounds and long barrels.
You need in excess of 10 mils of travel to get anywhere close to 1k.
1-8x24CC you will have about 7 mils to play with after zero.
1.5-8x26...about 8 mils left.

Heck, I tried to get cute and use the Stratos BDC without cant, and it left me with 1.1 Mils of travel!!!

Thanks, Ball Jar

·
Banned
4,102 Posts
You need in excess of 10 mils of travel to get anywhere close to 1k.
1-8x24CC you will have about 7 mils to play with after zero.
1.5-8x26...about 8 mils left.

Thanks, Ball Jar
You're funny too. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts