HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When did HK add the bolt catch/release guard onto their upper receivers? I've got 3 HK uppers on hand and of the 3, the MR762 has the guard and the other 2 do not.

Is this an early feature or something done more recently?

Attachments

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
When did HK add the bolt catch/release guard onto their upper receivers? I've got 3 HK uppers on hand and of the 3, the MR762 has the guard and the other 2 do not.

Is this an early feature or something done more recently?

View attachment 166778
Wow. Thanks for the pic. I'm curious......where or how did you come up with 2 417 uppers? Just curious.... BTW.....congrats.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They've been borrowed for the pic and have to go back - as much as I wish I could say they were mine, unfortunately they're not.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I do not know when they started, but its safe to say it was AT LEAST in 2014, when the last "non A5/A3" guns went off the line. There are, as you can see, A1's with the guard, so these must be 2014 uppers because in 2015, all forgings were already fully on the A5/A3 spec.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input so far guys, I somewhat answered my own question just by looking at the date codes on the receivers. The MR762 with the guard built in is of 2014 manufacture, while the two HK417 uppers are of 2007 and 2011 manufacture, so the guard is definitely more recent.

Baljar, what changes were made to the uppers for the A5/A3 spec?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I actually dont know if there are any bigger changes on the 7,62 Platform aside from that guard and the "picatinny rail to the rear end". I do know that the 5.56 Platform had more changes in the upper, that are not present on the 7,62 such as pinned Piston-Bushing, more "play" to the lower, rear locking lug with the spring loaded pusher to reduce wobble (that just started to be there because of the more play forging to allow for better compatability with non hk uppers/lowers).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Interestingly, the M110A1 CSASS prototype (not the MR762A1 mock-up shown at SHOT 17) has ambi-features on the lower, much like the 416A5-family, but the bolt catch fence was removed prior to finishing:

Also note that the M110A1 CSASS upper deletes the forward assist (you can see the "hump" where the forward assist housing was milled off), and is cut with the fully top rail going all the way back, over the charging handle, again, like the HK416A5/MR223A3 upper, unlike the MR762A1 that has the "legacy" scallop over the charging handle, however, the M110A1 upper does not appear to have the pinned in piston guide. It's almost certainly the same raw forging, just finished differently.

~Augee

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Augee for those excellent pictures - I was curious if the CSASS would have all of the latest ambi features on it or not. It's also curious how they deleted the features on the upper. I'd have to look on my work computer at the SOW and P-Specs of the solicitation, but I would have sworn that a forward assist was a requirement for CSASS but am apparently wrong.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Thanks for the input so far guys, I somewhat answered my own question just by looking at the date codes on the receivers. The MR762 with the guard built in is of 2014 manufacture, while the two HK417 uppers are of 2007 and 2011 manufacture, so the guard is definitely more recent.

Baljar, what changes were made to the uppers for the A5/A3 spec?

Don’t go by Date Codes, tell you why later!!

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Interestingly, the M110A1 CSASS prototype (not the MR762A1 mock-up shown at SHOT 17) has ambi-features on the lower, much like the 416A5-family, but the bolt catch fence was removed prior to finishing:

Also note that the M110A1 CSASS upper deletes the forward assist (you can see the "hump" where the forward assist housing was milled off), and is cut with the fully top rail going all the way back, over the charging handle, again, like the HK416A5/MR223A3 upper, unlike the MR762A1 that has the "legacy" scallop over the charging handle, however, the M110A1 upper does not appear to have the pinned in piston guide. It's almost certainly the same raw forging, just finished differently.

~Augee

Correct me if I am wrong, we are taught here to hit it with Are palm, not push it, I would think that cage would cause training issues, correct?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct me if I am wrong, we are taught here to hit it with Are palm, not push it, I would think that cage would cause training issues, correct?
I remember as a grunt in the Marines being taught to just push it, whether palm slapping it or pushing with your thumb wasn't specified one way or the other. I could see where the fence would be undesirable and asked to be removed though.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
I don't recell ever seeing a US import HK417 (non-CSASS related) with the eyebrow.
Was typing to fast it is corrected THEY DONT AND NEVER DID HAVE the Ambi style lowers with BOlT Catch Cage!!

Maybe we will get good news at Shot Show or Trump will overturn the Sporting Purposes Import EO

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
This is a legitimate question. Who are you referring to as "we"?...Mil/potential CSASS endusers? or general AR training dogma as a whole?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing a US import HK417 (non-CSASS related) with the eyebrow.
Was typing to fast it is corrected THEY DONT AND NEVER DID HAVE the Ambi style lowers with BOlT Catch Cage!!

But thats civillian hands only guns, and only due to the fact that they were procured by agencies before stricter end user verification was put in place hence they were able to sell them off to civilians.

Any Mil/Leo agency can of course buy latest spec guns any day. But never pass them to civivilans.

·
Registered
700 Posts

Thats most likely due to training and resulting specification not having caught up with the gun. I do not know anyone with said "A3A5" guns who uses anything but their trigger finger to let the bolt come forward.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts