HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thats most likely due to training and resulting specification not having caught up with the gun. I do not know anyone with said "A3A5" guns who uses anything but their trigger finger to let the bolt come forward.
But it's supposed to be issued to snipers - who are already using rifles with ambi bolt releases.

Of course, the M110A1 CSASS has gone nowhere for the time being. It's more likely to be seen fielded as a DMR rifle in 2020/2021 than as a sniper weapon before then.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have found the release only KAC way of doing things to be far less appealing than the HK bolt holt/release, both in functionality (of couse since it can do both) and also ergonomics.

Maybe it is a weight thing, lets keep in mind that weight was a strong requirement, that also led to the omission of the forward assist.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thats most likely due to training and resulting specification not having caught up with the gun.
I'm not entirely sure what you're implying...

I do think it's probably in part driven by weight--also, the M110 was spec'ed without a forward assist, I don't have the CSASS solicitation specs in front of me, but I don't recall it being re-added, if anything, I think some confusion may have come from the MR762A1-based mock-up displayed at SHOT 2017 (way too many people seem to have missed the "mock-up" part of that display...)

~Augee

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Should be thumb push, but funny to see a lot of people smacking the release.
Agreed, but you're never going to see it go away because:
"We teach 'em to slap cause (gross motor skill nonsense)"...the "Getcha Killed in Da Streetz" crowd.
"We teach 'em to slap cause it's hard to miss with your big mitts to a small button..."(even though everyone's seen someone cup their hand and miss it with the recess in the middle of their palm quite frequently). Teaching to the lowest common denominator crowd.

If you pay attention to the guys that are really good at just bumping the bolt release with the meaty part just below the thumb (and not the big ol' pimp slap) are just as fast and efficient as guys who are adept at the thumb press. Depending on their ability, it can look nearly the same. But then again, that involves crazy voodoo like practice and meaningful repetitions and such...ain't nobody got time fo dat.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just want one of these, what appears to be a Midwest Industries MR762 forearms.
MWI 762 Forearm.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It’s a Geissele handguard. As of right now they said they won’t be releasing them to the commercial market.
I'm still on a quest for one, lol. I get it though, they're probably devoting what limited production they're doing with it for the limited or anticipated orders they expect for CSASS.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It’s a Geissele handguard. As of right now they said they won’t be releasing them to the commercial market.
My guess that they were made by Midwest Industries was what appeared to be a MWI trademark branding (M) on the 762 forearm. I have attached the original photo and a photo from MWI's website for comparison. I am not a trademark attorney and this is not meant to be a urinating match over who is right. Just listing where I came up with the thought the said forearm came from MWI. Matters not to me if the forearm is made in Argentina, I just want one if they ever come on the civil market.

MWI 762 Forearm MWI trademark.jpg

MWI 556 Forearm.JPG

21 - 31 of 31 Posts