HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Any metalurgists have any comments on what added stress that would have on the spring? I'd bet that HK would not recommend it. However they do say you can put 31 rounds into the curved MP5 30 round mags.

I'll check it out....hopefully Monday afternoon. :D

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Well, the MP5 is 9mm, the .45 is 2mm more.
I will have a mag here in two days and I will try it out.
Would be nice, but if this is true, CA will fail this gun for sale in CA!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
All the more reason to believe that the engineers are working on higher capacity mags for the full size.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I hadn't tried it with mine but yup, mine will take 11 also. But I would certainly not say number 11 went in willingly. It took a LOT more force to put in the 11th round than it did the 10th, so much more that to me it is obvious the spring is being over compressed and while I cannot prove it from just shoving in one round in 4 mags over ten minutes time, I suspect carrying 11 in them will cause spring failure in no time at all. While my crystal ball is still on the fritz, I suspect leaving it fully loaded with 11 rounds will lead to the slide not staying locked back after the last shot within a month or two. Time will tell I suppose.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Any metalurgists have any comments on what added stress that would have on the spring? I'd bet that HK would not recommend it. However they do say you can put 31 rounds into the curved MP5 30 round mags.

I'll check it out....hopefully Monday afternoon. :D
Should be no problem for the springs

·
Registered
600 Posts
YES!!!

I can confirm what you all said. I just tried to squeeze in that last 11th round(!) into my HK45 COMPACT 10-rd mags! It will go and fit the 11th round. This is GREAT! ;)

The 11th round (last rd) in the HK45 10 round mags are actually MUCH MUCH easier to fit then the 10th (last round) into my Sig P220 with the 10-rd Sig mags (both nickle & phospate ones of the single stack 10-rd P220 Combat mags which I have). I don't have feed issues with these Sig 10-rd mags.

If you carry for duty. 10 round in mag while the 11th in the battery all the time is not bad either. Though I personally would not store HK45 10-rd mags with 11 rounds in them.

Though I don't think this is a 'mistake' on Hk's part, I think it was planned so as to relieve some stress on the mag spring(?)

Just so there is no confusion, I've added a link to my post with the TEN-round magazines for the HK45 Compact that I bought. THESE are the mags I tried to load 11 rounds into.

Here: 2008 HK45C 10-rd.http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70619&highlight=quikz

·
Registered
96 Posts
Why is this a mess? The magazines are advertised as 10-round magazines. An HK USP40 Compact magazine is advertised as a 10-round magazine, yet will hold 13 rounds of 9mm, and functions fine as a 13-round 9mm magazine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
since in many states that would be illegal if this is the 'official' 10 rnd magazine. I didn't bother to look at CA law, but for example in MA (where I used to live) the law is simple.
If it "accepts" (not is 'designed' or is 'advertised', etc.) more than 10 rounds then its illegal.
jb

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I noticed this too, on my first outing. although, one of my mags easily took 11 rounds (I didn't even realize it at first), the other takes a bit more effort. I notice is it considerably more difficult to seat the magazine on a closed chamber also... I will not be carrying my mags with 11 in them, although the gun functioned just fine when I was doing it, unintentionally....

good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts