HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This is my first post, as I am a proud owner of my first HK pistol (HK45CT)! It has been dream of mine for quite some time and all I can say is: Wow! What a great shooting gun!

I have a question about this seemingly strange issue I'm having... Strange to me, at least! After shooting normally with thread protector on, I was taking it down for cleaning and the posterior-most thread on the barrel looked like this (pictures attached). It only affects the right side. There were no incidents that I'm aware of that could have caused this and the gun was handled very carefully, especially when removing the barrel for cleaning. I have searched the forums and have not found any examples that are similar to this. Did I do something wrong? The thread protector goes on easily--no issues there. I am not concerned about the cosmetic aspect, since I purchased this gun in order to shoot it. There are no other damaged areas.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
DeltaKiloCharlie

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
Looks like some of the coating came off on the threads right there. If it bothers you that much, clean it really good with alcohol or brake cleaner, rub some permablue on it, and you'll never see it again.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Does that thread contact the slide when in battery?

·
Banned
1,168 Posts
I've had similar chipping of the coating on the barrel threads on some of my HKs which i believe is normal, but none of mine ever had that much. I would send hk customer service an email with those photos and see what they say. They will know whats normal and what crosses beyond that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like some of the coating came off on the threads right there. If it bothers you that much, clean it really good with alcohol or brake cleaner, rub some permablue on it, and you'll never see it again.
Thank you. I may do that after seeing if it progresses at all... And after seeing what HK has to say about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had similar chipping of the coating on the barrel threads on some of my HKs which i believe is normal, but none of mine ever had that much. I would send hk customer service an email with those photos and see what they say. They will know whats normal and what crosses beyond that.
Thank you. I sent them an email with photos. I looked at it with a microscope and it does, in fact, look like chipping of the finish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
HK customer service got back to me (good response time, BTW) and indicated that something likely marred the coating. I have brushed all of the threads to remove any debris and applied some PTFE tape to the threads. I do suspect a piece of debris was the culprit... Lesson learned. I may have underestimated the effect that a small piece of debris can have on the threads.

Thank you guys for your responses.

TL;DR From now on, I will brush all threads to remove any debris before securing the thread protector.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, a little chunk of debris was in there, and the threads squeezed it together under a lot of pressure. That's what caused the chipping. Luckily, it's not all that bad. Follow the instructions of others to add a little color to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, a little chunk of debris was in there, and the threads squeezed it together under a lot of pressure. That's what caused the chipping. Luckily, it's not all that bad. Follow the instructions of others to add a little color to it.
Thank you. I hope others who are new to threaded barrels benefit from this as well. Interestingly, alongside the manual is a yellow paper that says not to over tighten the thread protector. While I was sure not to over tighten it with my kung-fu grip, I do wonder if such issues are the reason why it is mentioned...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

Permablue, and leave the thread protector in the case when at range.
They do come loose unless you use loc-title.

Just leave it off when you shoot, and clean her well post shooting.
I always leave mine in the case when shooting my suppressor ready pistols at the range.

Hope you find the the news ur looking for..

Enjoy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts