HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard if the HK45 line will include an HK40 and HK9? I've been looking at the thumb-safety-less P30 as something of a replacement for the P2000, and the HK45 as something of a replacement for the thumb-safety-enabled USP...except there are a few calibers missing.

Can anyone make any sense out of HK's product-line management (not to knock the individual products, which by most accounts are quite nice)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I assume when you say HK40 and HK9...you are attempting to reference the particular caliber, 40 S&W and 9mm. The P30 is 9mm so its covered. There is speculation that the ribbed P30 mags are designed to accomodate a possible 40 S&W version in the future.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As much as I would love to see it (and HAVE to get one), I doubt HK will ever make a 10mm. No govt./mil. reason for it, and civilian sales in addition to being of tertiary importance, would not be enough to justify the tooling-up, production, and long-term warranty/maintenance costs.

As far as the original question, I'm betting the P30 and HK45 are the end for their respective lines. I think the 9mm/40SW sales are covered by the P30, and the design lacking a safety/decocker isn't an issue to HK or their customers (govt./military). The 45 is covered by the HK45, and my presumption is that the only reason it's not a P30 in 45 caliber is because the guys that brainstormed it, and the contract that it was aimed for, required a manual safety.

For American police - the button on the back of the slide is a good design. Allows decocking while in (or out of) the holster, something that occasionally happens under stress - re-holstering a cocked pistol. It's also smooth-sided for injury-free malfunction drills, and it has a simple trigger design, which police agencies have found optimum. No reason to change it.

Lastly, with a 45 already in the line-up and the 9mm/40SW covered in the line, it's hard to believe the developmental costs would be worthwhile to invent pistols that would compete with each other. (P30 in 45, or an HK45 in 40/9mm.)

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Pretty sure they use MP5/10's though.
Not any more.... The FBI's contract for the MP5/10mm was the reason HK made the 10mm MP5, but the FBI has been in the process of moving to an M4 based weapon for some time. I am sure there are many MP5/10mm's still in service witht he FBI, however as they wear out (or what ever) they are being replaced with M4 type rifls.... Perhaps the 416 at some point...

·
Registered
329 Posts
oh well so be it. Even if it weren't for gov't contracts the 10mm just isn't as popular as some would like it to be.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well in my opinion the P30 will be made in 40 and 357 sig in the near future. In my opinion the USP is soon to be discontinued and HK will continue to grow the P30 and HK45 line of guns. I think the P30 is more of a replacement to the P2000 and we may see the P2000 leave the product offering in the next 5 or so years. Once there is a SubCompact P30 and some more calibers the P2000 really isnt needed. I think the HK45 will be produced in 40cal since that is a very popular caliber, not every user wants a LEM action or a DAO type trigger with single action follow ups like the P30, a lot of people and me being one of them like the cocked and locked carry the Hk45 offers. Since more US agencies are leaving the 9mm and have been for a long time in favor of the 40 or 45 I think HK has to have more then one option for the 40 cal. I think we will soon see tacticals, experts etc based on the HK45. I would be very suprised if HK says they are not making a tactical or expert type gun in anything other then 45acp, in fact that would be pretty stupid. We all have to remember that HK did not have all the varients and calibers in the USP line when it first came out. The first USP's where in 40 cal come to think of it. Its just a matter of time. I just hope they come out with high cap versions before we can't buy them anymore.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts