HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be completely ammo related but I had 2 separate FTF issues with my HK45 yesterday (shooting it for the 1st time). I was using Winchester white box and both times when I inspected the unfired round it seemed the primer strike was weak since the indentation was shallow. I didn't have time to try different ammo but I will tomorrow to see if that's the problem. The other 48 rounds fired normally. My experience with semi-auto handguns is limited so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
269 Posts
that is very odd. hk is the best out there. if it does it again with any other ammo even winchester white box call HK right away! could be a spring or something that is causing light strikes. very odd for an hk to have this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
someone else mentioned something similar related to WWB ammo recently, but I think it was in a different caliver. I would try a different type of ammo. I would lean toward hard primers, but it could be a spring or something? At any rate you will have a good time researching the problem... good luck

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm confused by "the primer strike was weak."

Did you not try a DA re-strike?

Could be hard primers, although I've literally shot thousands of rounds of WWB .45 through my MK23 without a single issue.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
WWB is hit and miss. Sounds like hard primers to me as well and not weak FP strike.

Switch brands and retest.

·
Registered
87 Posts
every time a hk has a problem its answered on here has "bad ammo" and it may well be the problem in most cases as ammo is mass produced and mistakes can be made in the manufacturing.....HK hand guns are also mass produced and ive seen higher end hand guns slip through the cracks of quality control make sure you look at all aspects of what this problem could be especially if you plan on carrying this weapon

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
But I think we can all agree that the weapon must prove itself reliable before being carried, and therefore we simply must rule out the ammo being the cause of the malfunction. Additionally, hard primers and other defects are quite common with bottom shelf ammo.

If this pistol continues to have malfunctions with an entirely different brand of ammo then HK or not, it needs to be returned.

·
Registered
337 Posts
While proving nothing I’ve always been a little skeptical of anybody with 1 post & January 2008 sign-up date who complains about a problem. That being said two FTF with WWB in ANY weapon not really shock me. It’s range ammo at best quality in my opinion.

Certainly not the ammo I would choose for carry, duty, or reliability testing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the reason I just joined was to hopefully tap into the knowledge of the people on this board who have a lot of experience with these weapons. We all have our first post sometime I guess. I'm a big fan of HK and my only other handgun is an USP40c which has given me no problems in the short time I've owned it. Thanks to all who offered suggestions/advice. I'll try again tomorrow with different ammo and hopefully different results.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I would buy two boxes of Wolf, a box of Blazer Brass and a box of WWB. I suspect you just got a bad lot of ammo. In my experience only very, very, very rarely do hammer fired pistols have light primer strikes. It COULD be that there is some gunk, or a bur, or something like that on the FP or FP channel, but I doubt it. Ammo, especially these days, is the likely culprit.

Just run a few more rounds with it and see if it was the ammo.:28:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Can't believe VA is "Ding'ing" someone for joining the board to ask questions.
I can't remember when I joined but I think it was when I got the 93 bug up my a$$ and I need to get info.
The P7 is gone and I hardly visit ParkCityTactical anymore ( besides the P2000 and Rifles forums don't seem that busy).

Welcome aboard calamus !.

Stop using that **** ammo, HK's deserve some S&B ;-)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think Va is just saying what a lot of us think these days when we see a "problem" post from a brand new guy. Sadly, the internet is so full of trolls and jerks that you can't help but be cynical. I am sure Calamus understands! :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you still have the rounds with the light strikes on the primer try to shoot them out of another pistol. My USP has eaten ammo a Glock would not on a couple occasions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts