HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i'm new to shooting competition and have been looking at a gun to purchase as well as CCW carry. I have been looking at 1911's and while looking found the HK45. It looks like a nice weapon for duty carry and CCW, but was wondering how it might work in IDPA or IPSC competition?
Thanks in advance for all the help.
Dan'o :} FNG

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I would think so

I'm going to seriously look at running my Hk45 in IDPA, it's an awesome gun, I'm thinking it over a Kimber TLE 2!

Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well I can tell you this for sure the HK45 is going to be much more reliable then any 1911 out there! I am in LOVE with my HK45, short of my Expert 9mm and my P7 its my favorite gun and is my first go to gun in an oh sh-- situation. For shooting matches like IDPA you would not be at any disadvantage. And for the USPSA matches you would be shooting against Glocks and the like anyway so there is no reason you couldn't be competitve. Your also going to have the full 10 round capacity that your not going to get with a 1911 so thats a big advantage.

Dave

·
Registered
802 Posts
If you are shooting in Limited 10, there's no advantage in mag capacity over a 1911 since 10 round mags are abundant. Single Stack Division is 1911 only, so you can't shoot that there. 45's are at a disadvantage in Production division.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I've gone to an IPSC meet and practice, and lots of shooters seem to shoot some sort of a 1911, but I saw a lot of jams, which surprised me. I like the looks of the HK45 and the fact I can change from DA/SA to SA, etc, seems like it would allow me to compete in different classes (at least that was mentioned to me).

Now, what are people doing for holsters for IDPA, etc, as I understand that there really isn't much out there?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Do a search for holsters, I started a thread last week. It fits perfect in my HK USP Expert holster, I would guess a standard USP 45 holster would work well.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done a quick search for holsters and the only thing I found was a duty holster, which won't work in IDPA. My dad recommended a nylon holster as they are generic, but I don't think they are legal for either IDPA or IPSC.
Dan'o :}

·
Registered
143 Posts
The HK45 will be legal in USPSA/IPSC Production (once approved...if not already) and you can use it in Limited or Limited 10. You'll be outgunned in Limited or Limited 10, though. Mags aren't large enough for Limited. You won't have some of the advantages of others in L10.

The biggest hurdle you'll face is by shooting .45. You'll have a lot more recoil to deal with than everyone else in Production shooting 9mm. It's not hard to shoot a .45 but it's hard to do it very quickly and accurately.

There is a reason you see so many 1911 or 2011s. It's the same reasons I moved from my Custom Combat .40f to a 2011 Brazos Custom gun. They are just better for competition in almost all cases. Less felt recoil for faster follow up shots. Very nice triggers. Whatever kind of sights you want on it. Etc...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Get a Comp-tac or Blade-tech straight drop belt holster. Probably 90% of the people use one of these two companies for a reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts