Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have an HK45 that has a problem after a trigger job. The hammer is following the slide back to the half cock position after firing. When cycling by hand it works fine (unless you hand cycle REALLY fast.) When shooting, the hammer follows 9 out of 10 times. I'm assuming i will have to replace the sear or hammer, but do you guys have any idea which? I hopefully won't have to replace both.

the trigger job was performed by Bill Springfield if that helps. I'm not sure which part he works on if not both the hammer and the sear.

thanks in advance,

DS

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
No, you need to send back to HK and have it switched back to factory specs and learn from this experience.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Emailed bill twice and left messages here but I have received no response. Hopefully I will hear from him, but I'm not sure what can be done. you can't really put metal back and taking more metal to correct an angle or whatever the problem is seems iffy to me. We'll see what happens I guess.

Thanks for the help and advice!
DS

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I'm leaning toward. But I'm wondering what parts those might be. I'm guessing hammer, sear, and hammer spring? Does anyone know if mr springfield adjust s both hammer and sear?

Thanks,
DS

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The parts need replaced, all of them that were modified.
Listen to gt on this one. It needs to go back to HK with full disclosure on what you had done. Be prepared to pay for the replacement, and again tell the truth when you send it in; it will make things a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
That's what I'm leaning toward. But I'm wondering what parts those might be. I'm guessing hammer, sear, and hammer spring? Does anyone know if mr springfield adjust s both hammer and sear?

Thanks,
DS

DS, not being a jerk but only HK can make your gun back to factory spec.s so you can rely on it and Not have a Dangerous gun. I would do exactly as gt said send it back to HK. Guessing and wondering would drive me nut's. I would send it back to HK and Know Your HK is a HK again...Safe and Reliable....

·
Registered
818 Posts
It seems the conscience here is to return the gun to factory specs. A trip to HK seems to be in order.

I do not understand what the obsession is with trigger work on HK firearms. If you don't like the trigger, get a 1911 and put up with all that crap. If the quality of your shooting is dependent on the trigger, YOU NEED LESSONS! My suggestion would be to restore the factory trigger group, PAY HK to fix it & lessons learned. For what you have spent on this, you could have taken lessons from a professional who would have taught you proper trigger control on YOUR pistol, making you a better shot, not only with your HK but ANY pistol you pick up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep. I'm certain that parts will need to be replaced. I'm comfortable in the UPS/HK45 firing controls and can replace the parts myself. Hopefully Bill will get back to me to tell me which pieces he altered. If he does this i can order replacements and take care of it. If he doesn't, it may need to go back to HK for testing.

Is there anyone out there knowledgeable with his work who can say what he does and to what parts?

I can get a hammer, sear, hammer spring and sear spring (flat spring) shipped for $118. I already replaced the trigger reset spring. Are there any other parts that may be suspect?

out of curiosity, has anyone had their firing control replaced by HK? what did it run?

thanks again for all the help. All responses are appreciated!

DS

·
Banned
232 Posts
I don't see why you would need to send it back to Hk, it's not that big of a deal... Contact the guy, he will probably, and should replace all the parts he touched. What it sounds like he did was stoned down the face of the hammer sear to a bad angle so the pressure of the spring basically pushes the sears apart. If he is a good smith, he would have marked out the sear to see how much contact it had, he shouldn't have "taken too much off the top". That's my guess anyway, bad angle. Buy a new sear, and a new hammer worse comes to worse, that's all you have to do. The rest of the Hk sounds like it's working like a charm (safeties). I wouldn't send anything back to that guy, he should have put pressure on the back of the hammer to make sure it didn't follow down right after he worked on it and put it back together. That shouldn't have left his shop like that.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
yep. I'm certain that parts will need to be replaced. I'm comfortable in the UPS/HK45 firing controls and can replace the parts myself. Hopefully Bill will get back to me to tell me which pieces he altered. If he does this i can order replacements and take care of it. If he doesn't, it may need to go back to HK for testing.

Is there anyone out there knowledgeable with his work who can say what he does and to what parts?

I can get a hammer, sear, hammer spring and sear spring (flat spring) shipped for $118. I already replaced the trigger reset spring. Are there any other parts that may be suspect?

out of curiosity, has anyone had their firing control replaced by HK? what did it run?

thanks again for all the help. All responses are appreciated!

DS
I would contact the smith and have him replace all the original parts the way it came to him since he didn't do it right. It doesn't make sense to pay somebody to d-ick with your gun and have to pay more $$$ to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bill springfield is well known for his trigger jobs around the interweb. Some people have had similar experiences to mine but i figure each bad experience equals 100 happy customers that don't post about their experience. I guess im just one of the unlucky few. Hopefully he will get back in touch with me soon, or i will replace the sear and hammer as you suggest. I believe he installs a lighter match hammer spring as well, could this contribute to the following as well?

DS

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Not the first time I've heard of this occurring, unfortunately...

Your options.

1 - contact him and either make him correct the problem or have him replace the parts back to factory standard.

2 - have HK fix it for you.

Good luck,

Rhino

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks, Rhino

unfortunately i haven't heard a response. Hopefully Mr. Springfield will send replacement parts and i won't have to pay for shipping a third time. We'll see how it goes!

DS

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I do not understand what the obsession is with trigger work on HK firearms...
If the quality of your shooting is dependent on the trigger, YOU NEED LESSONS!
I could not agree more... in fact this is the most intelligent thing I have read on this forum in a while!

Learn to shoot the firearm as it was designed... after it has been repaired.

AWD

·
Registered
818 Posts
It seems the conscience here is to return the gun to factory specs. A trip to HK seems to be in order.

I do not understand what the obsession is with trigger work on HK firearms. If you don't like the trigger, get a 1911 and put up with all that crap. If the quality of your shooting is dependent on the trigger, YOU NEED LESSONS! My suggestion would be to restore the factory trigger group, PAY HK to fix it & lessons learned. For what you have spent on this, you could have taken lessons from a professional who would have taught you proper trigger control on YOUR pistol, making you a better shot, not only with your HK but ANY pistol you pick up.
+1

Fine post ME. :350:

I don't understand the trigger obsession either.

My HK's are all V3's or V1's with stock triggers and they work beautifully. :wink:

·
Banned
232 Posts
You do it because you can make them better. Why do people mod cars? Trucks? Why do they do additional work to their houses? It's simple, because we want to, and because we can. Also, who says that having work done on your guns means that you're untrained? That's just an ignorant comment.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
+1

Fine post ME. :350:

I don't understand the trigger obsession either.

My HK's are all V3's or V1's with stock triggers and they work beautifully. :wink:
For once, I can agree with like minded people. Been biting my tongue on this thread and will continue to do so. I have an opinion, but not fit for public consumption.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.