HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the fact that HK is putting new & improved products out there, but I dont see a big difference over the USP. I have a USP 45 expert which I absolutly LOVE, wouldnt even consider the HK45 over it. I get much more excited over the Professional Arms possibility....

·
Registered
616 Posts
Same reason BMW puts out an updated model every year. I think that this also has some appeal to agencies because they are fully ambidextrous. The USP series is built like a tank...some would say they are overbuilt (Im not one of them). The HK45 looks to be a bit more refined...blah.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I have posted a question similar to this one.

In the end, I want them all. I think even HK will be hard pressed to show a real advantage of the new pistol. The wieight, size, adjustable grip and new accessory rail are no big deal. A lower cost due to lessons learned would be nice.

My USP45F can hold 12 rounds and I have a $20 picatinney adapter. Nuff said?

JPG

·
Registered
802 Posts
HK45 was created in response to a US Govt requirement which has now been placed on hold. Other companies responded also like the S&W M&P45.

·
Registered
616 Posts
HK45 was created in response to a US Govt requirement which has now been placed on hold. Other companies responded also like the S&W M&P45.
I was under the impression that this was the next natural follow up step to the P2000 line. You think without the JCP bid it wouldnt have been created?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm just exited for it B/C I want a full size .45 HK and I have smaller hands. So that's a benifit for me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some would like the HK45 if they would have complained about the USP's ergonomics, I am currently trying to decide between the HK45 and a S&W M&P45 or hell even a 1911. A lot of 1911 users would agree with the poor ergonomics of the USP.

"I think that this also has some appeal to agencies because they are fully ambidextrous. "

Surprise surprise... I would hardly call the HK45 fully ambidextrous (with the default V1 configuration anyways) as the control lever is still on the right hand side, sure one could pay 80 bucks for a ambi lever or switch variants, but that would require work (even if its a little). A lefty can't pick up any random NIB HK45 and say "hey I don't need any work done on this..." Funny how many HK representatives talk about how ambidextrous the gun is even though they typically hold a RIGHT HAND ONLY MODEL.

Or am I wrong? Will all the new HK45s come with ambis?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Some would like the HK45 if they would have complained about the USP's ergonomics, I am currently trying to decide between the HK45 and a S&W M&P45 or hell even a 1911. A lot of 1911 users would agree with the poor ergonomics of the USP.

"I think that this also has some appeal to agencies because they are fully ambidextrous. "

Surprise surprise... I would hardly call the HK45 fully ambidextrous (with the default V1 configuration anyways) as the control lever is still on the right hand side, sure one could pay 80 bucks for a ambi lever or switch variants, but that would require work (even if its a little). A lefty can't pick up any random NIB HK45 and say "hey I don't need any work done on this..." Funny how many HK representatives talk about how ambidextrous the gun is even though they typically hold a RIGHT HAND ONLY MODEL.

Or am I wrong? Will all the new HK45s come with ambis?
I was under the impression they would be ambi...but I havent been following that very closely because I only use LEM, sorry. I really would be surprised with HK touting their fully ambi HK45 that it wouldnt have ambi safeties.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Everything I have read would indicate that the safety lever is configured for right-handed shooters only, and that the ambidextrous safety lever is optional (as would the single-sided safety for lefties be).

I love the concept of the gun, especially in it's original P2000-series grip configuration (which looks like a serious duty weapon), until they went ghey on the grips (which granted can still be stippled and made back into a man gun). I give it thumbs up with the only real drawback (other than the panzy grips) being those two-rounds lost in the magazine. I understand the reasoning behind it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. 2-Rounds in a gunfight can make a difference IMHO - and I'd rather have them. I may still favour a high-capacity STI 1911 with a 12-round magazine. We'll see...

The G21SF is still a contender, even though I would usually lean towards the HK.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was under the impression that this was the next natural follow up step to the P2000 line. You think without the JCP bid it wouldnt have been created?
Maybe, maybe not. But the JCP program dictated the terms; depending one who's version of events you listen to your going to come up with some different answers to that question. Larry Vickers cites it as an evolution of the now defunct HK 1911 project. But the bottom line is that HK wanted that pistol contract - so they made sure it fit the government requirements.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. But the JCP program dictated the terms; depending one who's version of events you listen to your going to come up with some different answers to that question. Larry Vickers cites it as an evolution of the now defunct HK 1911 project. But the bottom line is that HK wanted that pistol contract - so they made sure it fit the government requirements.
I don't care if it fit the gov. contract, I am just happy it is going to fit MY HAND!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've been wanting a P2000/k in a .45 caliber. I like the more compact size of the HK 45 for conceal carry. Hope to have that wish soon.
Problem is the grip length of the HK45c is going to be longer than the USPc and the P2000. After looking at the specs, both the hk45c and hk45 have longer grip lengths than the uspc and usp respectively. I dont know why they did it like that...but its a shame. Thin is nice, but the grip is the hardest to conceal. Maybe they were both designed as a duty pistol without concealability in mind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have posted a question similar to this one.

In the end, I want them all. I think even HK will be hard pressed to show a real advantage of the new pistol. The wieight, size, adjustable grip and new accessory rail are no big deal. A lower cost due to lessons learned would be nice.

My USP45F can hold 12 rounds and I have a $20 picatinney adapter. Nuff said?

JPG
The adjustable grip is a huge deal. It gives everyone who wanted a USP(f) a chance to have a full sized .45. I bought a USP Tactical in .40 because I wasn't able to comfortably fit my hands around a .45 (which now I think isn't a big deal seeing how I can hold 16-rds). Now with this innovation I will be able to enjoy a .45 caliber HK product, and they will sell to more people.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
My goodness, I always thought I had small hands, but I guess I was wrong. The USP45F isn't small. If the grip size keeps you from purchasing/shooting a USP45F, then bring on the HK45.

My main shooting problem has to do with my poor trigger control.

JPG

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I wanted one from about a year ago up until about two months ago. Lost interest in the wait. Don't have patience especially when there are soooo many other quality firearms out there to be had. Way I figure it H&K saved me some money since I no longer want one. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
261 Posts
Even if there is not a huge difference between the USP 45 and the HK 45 it doesn't mean that HK should just sit around and not try to develop something new. It may just be the company trying to move forward and improve on an already excellent platform. The evolution of the USP if you will.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
REally, when it comes down to it, any handgun manufacture would be hard pressed to develop a a handgun more revolutionary than the P9 and P7 series of handguns.. But since those are out of production, and it seems every quality manufacture has gone the way of the Browning operating system, this is what we are all stuck with. Couple the Browning operating system with HK's recoil reduction system, there isn't much room to improve the USP line, P2000 line, P30, and the HK45. If HK is going to stay with this set up, the improvements on the the HK45 are about as revolutionary as can be done... Then you throw the two LEM varients in the mix, and there isn't much to be improved on..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts