HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my HK Elite (.45) to my brother, so we met up at the range so he could check out his Elite - and I could check out my brand new LEM HK45.

No FTF issues, or FTE eject, sweet... only, its accuracy is very inconsistant! Figuring it was me, and because we were shooting at 25-yds, I worked to tighten up the groups. Nope, didn't matter what I did. I'd aim right at the bullseye and my brother would call the shots, "3 inches high and 2" right." Next shot, "3 inches left and 2 inches low." Next shot, "6 inches high and right." Even tried shooting off a stand, nope. Ugh... okay, fine, I handed him the pistol. First shot, dead center. Okay, it's me. Nope, second shot he was 4" low and left. Next shot, 3" high and right, same thing. He even said, "this thing's all over the place."

We loaded the same brand of ammo into the Elite and both of us shot 2" groups, so it's not like we're bad at aiming.

I expected the HK45 to be very accurate - or at least, repeatable. Inspecting the pistol, with the slide back and the barrel extended, it (the barrel) was very loose, but I believe that's how it's supposed to be - correct? With the slide closed it's tight, but it looked like it wasn't perfectly centered, not sure what's up with that.

I really want to like this pistol and plan on keeping it a good long time. What might explain what's going on? Am I doing something wrong? Is this something that a gunsmith should be involved in, or should it go straight back to HK (hope not.) Or, am I expecting too much too early, and HKs need several 100 rounds through them before they "settle down?"

Help me out, thanks.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I am still going with "it's you", for the accuracy issue. Perhaps it's the grip that's throwing you off, or maybe it's the new trigger. If you have access to a Ransom Rest, I'd suggest that for an end all answer to the question.

As for them needing to settle down, no they don't. My HK45/C's were all just fine out of the box.

ETA: When the barrel is unlocked and the slide is back the looseness is normal.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Agreed, it's you. Have you shot the LEM prior to this? How's your paw taking to the grip? I can keyhole @15 yards.

But for arguments sake, how does the o-ring look? My USP .45 Compact has the same barrel off center type thing you were talking about. It looks funky but I don't think it would throw your shots off.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The SA trigger in the Elite and the LEM are very different animals. It's gonna take some time to get used to it. Bring your target in closer and start there.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
You need to master that trigger first. An Elite has alot better trigger and longer sight radius. It alot easier to shoot better with that platform than a new HK45 that youre still learning. Bring your target closer like 50 ft until you can run all the rounds into the same hole. I shoot at bullet holes, NOT big black bulls eyes.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It might take a time or two out on the range, just give it a chance and it will come around.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Understood; I had certain expectations and, well, maybe it is me. I can always change the LEM if things don't improve, like install the heavier trigger spring. At this point however, I don't want to keep changing things, just shoot it.

I forgot to mention that with the last two rounds, on a whim I decided to fire single-handed. Oddly, those two shots were more accurate than the previous two-hand shots, but at this point I don't know if it was random variation or an actual improvement on my part. Going to take a few more range trips.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I'd bet your issue is the LEM. With practice you'll get it down.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that's what I kept hearing, which was one big reason I went with it, which made the disappointment all the more surprising. I'll give it a few more sessions before contemplating LEM mods.

Did a good cleaning of it and got out all the grease, so we'll see if that matters. Barrel is like a mirror, not one bit of crud in it.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Yeah that's what I kept hearing, which was one big reason I went with it, which made the disappointment all the more surprising. I'll give it a few more sessions before contemplating LEM mods.

Did a good cleaning of it and got out all the grease, so we'll see if that matters. Barrel is like a mirror, not one bit of crud in it.
Wait. Are you saying that you didn't clean the factory grease off the gun before taking it to the range?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Um... correct. My only claim to not lose my Man Card is that the wife was hanging around too much and I couldn't be seen cleaning a new pistol. Or does saying this ensure the loss of said Man Card?

Seriously though, could that really cause the spread in grouping?

·
Registered
783 Posts
not sure.... seems like that could have caused a couple malfunctions if anything. ... but now you might have more gunk to clean out with powders getting all stuck to the packing grease. You've got a little extra time to spend cleaning this gun... make sure your wife is out with her friends or something for a while!

·
Registered
50 Posts
It takes a while getting used to the LEM trigger. It took me about 3 range trips to get my accuracy back while firing the LEM. Once you get used to the reset, you will get your groupings back. On the other hand LEM just may not be for you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wouldn't worry to much about it. It's a new gun and your new to LEM. Try to practice more if you can, I'd start at 7-10 yards and work your way back.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Um... correct. My only claim to not lose my Man Card is that the wife was hanging around too much and I couldn't be seen cleaning a new pistol. Or does saying this ensure the loss of said Man Card?

Seriously though, could that really cause the spread in grouping?
not sure.... seems like that could have caused a couple malfunctions if anything. ... but now you might have more gunk to clean out with powders getting all stuck to the packing grease. You've got a little extra time to spend cleaning this gun... make sure your wife is out with her friends or something for a while!
+1. I, too, don't think it would affect the groupings.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This has been bugging me...

I can understand that it's me, but what I don't understand is the large variations. I mean, if it's an incorrect sight picture, fine, but the resulting group should still be of reasonable size. Maybe it's me anticipating the pistol firing? Perhaps, though neither I nor my buddy had that issue with the Elite. There's just a lot of variation... oh, and it was a 15-yd range, not 25 like I said above :(

During cleaning nothing appeared amiss, though I admit I don't know what to be looking for. The barrel appeared to be a snug fit, so no variation there.

To that end I'm trying to locate a local HK45 owner (not easy in California since it's not on "the list.") I'm hoping that we can do a comparison between the two, and for each of us to shoot both. That should show whether the issue is me or the pistol.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It didn't take me long to figure out LEM, butting did take a couple of mags.

With a new gun I usually start shooting close range, 7-10 yards, working more for familiarity and function, the accuracy, hen I push it out to more distant ranges.

FYI, member Fifthward has both an HK45 and HK45C, both light LEM and is in CA. What LEM weight is yours?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Light LEM.

I should also mention that I'm using low-cost brass-cased 230 ammo, FMJ, if that matters.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts