HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am concerned that there may be a problem with my new HK45. By way of background, I purchased it as a V1, converted to the "lite" LEM using the universal kit, and then replaced the stock trigger return spring with the heavy TRS (the one with the squared wire). I think this is the HK45 equivalent of the P30 "Todd Green Special" configuration.

The issue is this: If I dry fire and then rack the slide while very firmly holding the trigger back all the way tight against the frame, the backward movement of the slide is not cocking the internal hammer, and when I release the trigger it only resets when it has been almost fully let out and the next squeeze of the trigger will be the ridiculously heavy DA pull that you would have in a primer re-strike scenario.

If, however, I dry fire and rack the slide while barely relaxing my trigger finger (just enough to let the trigger out a fraction of a millimeter), the backward movement of the slide does cock the internal hammer, and when I release the trigger it resets almost immediately and the next squeeze of the trigger is the lite, smooth LEM action.

Is this normal? I do not know if the gun will behave the same way during live fire, because I have not been to the range to try it out with the LEM. Before I do fire it, I would really like to hear whether or not this is abnormal from more experienced HK owners (which would be the vast majority of the forum members since this is my first HK).

I hope I have described what is happening in a reasonably clear and understandable way. Any thoughts, advice or descriptions of your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I can't be sure how, I'm betting that something was assembled wrong. There's an extremely remote possibility of an out of spec part, but in 3 aftermarket LEM installs having seen at least 100 OEM versions I've never seen it.

First thing I would do before taking it all apart again, is take off the slide and press down on the trigger bar (the piece that comes back into the action from the trigger). Make sure that it springs back up easily. Either being out of alignment with the detent, or a missing detent/detent spring could be the issue.

If that's fine, Double check the positioning of the mainspring in the base of the rear grip piece. If it's out of alignment, it might be pushing too much pressure.

·
Registered
765 Posts
P.S. After those two things I mentioned, My next wager would be on the flat spring having been bent during the parts change. It's really difficult to say without having the gun in my own two hands.

I doubt the hammer rebound spring (I'm assuming that is the elbow spring P30 is referring to) would have anything to do with it. I've actually ran a LEM trigger without it installed, and beyond a cosmetic appearance of the hammer movement, it functioned flawlessly.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. Checked trigger bar, and it springs back easily and is aligned with detent. Checked mainspring, and it is properly positioned/aligned. I am pretty sure it is assembled correctly. Please let me know if you think of anything else it could be...

I can't be sure how, I'm betting that something was assembled wrong. There's an extremely remote possibility of an out of spec part, but in 3 aftermarket LEM installs having seen at least 100 OEM versions I've never seen it.

First thing I would do before taking it all apart again, is take off the slide and press down on the trigger bar (the piece that comes back into the action from the trigger). Make sure that it springs back up easily. Either being out of alignment with the detent, or a missing detent/detent spring could be the issue.

If that's fine, Double check the positioning of the mainspring in the base of the rear grip piece. If it's out of alignment, it might be pushing too much pressure.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for pointing me to those posts. I followed the links and checked as shown. The elbow spring is properly intalled. I think the posted problem was a bit different. It sounded as if the issue there was the length of reset, but once the trigger reached the reset point, it would function in LEM mode. In my case, the internal hammer is not cocking and after the long reset it is in straight DA mode.

A short time ago, a similar problem was posted. This was the solution (the internal elbow spring was rotated, which is the spring in the middle of this picture).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
"P.S. After those two things I mentioned, My next wager would be on the flat spring having been bent during the parts change." - bordercop

The first time I put the sear back in during the LEM conversion, I did not have the lower elbow spring arm positioned correctly (it was below the sear), so I disassembled and reassembled appropriately. When I did that, I do specifically recall seeing that the two sections of the flat spring had slightly different degrees of bend (i.e., one was angled out further towards the hammer than the other). If the two sections are supposed to be at identicle angles, then one may have bent the first time I put the sear back in. Can you give me any pointers on what to look for with the flat spring?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just found a couple of pictures in another post showing an HK45 during disassembly and the flat spring shown in the photos looks exactly like mine did. The section of the flat spring closest to the left side of the frame is bent out further than the other section. I'm open to any and all other suggestions...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone else ever experienced this at all?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Well, I just found a couple of pictures in another post showing an HK45 during disassembly and the flat spring shown in the photos looks exactly like mine did. The section of the flat spring closest to the left side of the frame is bent out further than the other section. I'm open to any and all other suggestions...
That's normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts