HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After handling an HK45 at the LGS a few months ago, I was initially impressed by the ergonomics and how well the HK45 fit my hand. I had to have one. I'm happy to say I'm now an HK owner.:29: Took it out to the range, and put 200 rounds through it to break it in. The reviews are true as far as out of the box accuracy. I think it is very close to my 1911.

My only concern was the trigger pull. My HK45 is a V1, and from what I read in this forum, I was expecting a SA trigger pull in the 4.5-5.5 lb range. Using my Lyman trigger pull gauge I'm seeing a range of 5 lb 6.5 oz to 6 lb 0.5 oz (20 samples) for SA. The DA pull was higher than the 12 lb upper limit of the gauge and was not measurable.

Are these numbers reasonable? I realize that this is primarily a HD and not a match pistol...

Anything I can do to reduce/tighten the variation of the pull in my HK45?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Congrats on your fine pistol! There is a bunch of searchable information on here about the different trigger variations. Something that will reduce the weight somewhat is just shooting the gun. The more it is shot, the smoother the trigger will be; and it will get a little lighter too.

If you're coming from the 1911 platform, this trigger will be substantially heavier than the trigger you're used to. I would first try and get used to it, and just realize it is a drastically different trigger system.

If that all does not work for you, you can always send it to Bruce Gray at Gray Guns and have him work his magic on it. His is the only firm I would use for after market trigger work.

Good luck, and enjoy your new pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congrats on your new HK!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Nice HK45, its a great 45. Your bank account is going to start hating you. Expect to have another 1or2 HK's this time next year. And no, there is nothing you can do to stop it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody!

With regards to the SA trigger pull, I was hoping for a simple fix, like a spring change to get a lighter, more consistent pull. I'll go shoot the HK45 some more, and re-evaluate.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Congrats on your HK45 shoot the heck out of it. I had Bill Springfield do the trigger work on mine.

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
First off welcome to the forum, and you made an amazing life decision on the HK45. It is like a 1911 on steroids.

It is actually better in a few ways than the 1911 IMO, with the exception of the trigger. You will find very very few pistols with a trigger as good, or better than a 1911. That is just the way of the world. There are three routes you can take.

First, you can just shoot it exclusively for a while, and it will wear in/you will get used to it. My HK45 trigger got a bit lighter after the 1,000ish round mark. But I find all of my pistols do that. I am not sure if it is me or not, but that is how it feels.

Or you can go with the Light LEM trigger. It is kinda a very light DAO trigger, but also not at all like one. It is a long first pull. Very light travel, and you don't feel the actual trigger break poundage until the actual break. There is no squishy feel. It also has a short reset. There are people that LOVE the LEM trigger, and refuse to use anything else. It is a great trigger system on the USP's and HK45's. I am looking at getting an HK45 in LEM here soon myself.

Or, you can go the route of having custom trigger work done. I am not opposed to doing this, but I tend not to. I try to keep my combat handguns around stock configuration. With the exception of my USP 45, I added the HK factory Match trigger kit. But that trigger is still good to go IMO. But If you feel like you need the trigger worked on, if it is a make or break kind of thing, then get it done.

·
Registered
429 Posts
First off welcome to the forum, and you made an amazing life decision on the HK45. It is like a 1911 on steroids.

It is actually better in a few ways than the 1911 IMO, with the exception of the trigger. You will find very very few pistols with a trigger as good, or better than a 1911. That is just the way of the world. There are three routes you can take.

First, you can just shoot it exclusively for a while, and it will wear in/you will get used to it. My HK45 trigger got a bit lighter after the 1,000ish round mark. But I find all of my pistols do that. I am not sure if it is me or not, but that is how it feels.

Or you can go with the Light LEM trigger. It is kinda a very light DAO trigger, but also not at all like one. It is a long first pull. Very light travel, and you don't feel the actual trigger break poundage until the actual break. There is no squishy feel. It also has a short reset. There are people that LOVE the LEM trigger, and refuse to use anything else. It is a great trigger system on the USP's and HK45's. I am looking at getting an HK45 in LEM here soon myself.

Or, you can go the route of having custom trigger work done. I am not opposed to doing this, but I tend not to. I try to keep my combat handguns around stock configuration. With the exception of my USP 45, I added the HK factory Match trigger kit. But that trigger is still good to go IMO. But If you feel like you need the trigger worked on, if it is a make or break kind of thing, then get it done.
Awesome reply...Totally agree.
Congrats on your Badboy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What an enthusiastic forum community! I can see how one cannot stop at just one HK when one gets this much "support" from the group.:wink:

Navyman - thanks for the advice. I might leave the 1911 at home on my next range trip and put more rounds through the HK45 and go from there. You mentioned a factory match trigger kit for the USP 45. Is there something similar for the HK45?

On an unrelated note: In the case with the HK45, there was a signed envelope containing 2 fired .45 brass. Is this to prove that my particular specimen was test fired at the factory?

·
Registered
153 Posts
It was the HK45 that lured me to the Dark Side almost five years ago (and it has been my numero uno home defense sidearm ever since). About six months later I was lured even deeper when I purchased the HK45C compact. Then, two years later it was the P2000SK LEM .40 subcompact and now, there's no hope for me ever escaping the Dark Side.

Hell, I don't even look at self-defense handguns anymore.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts