HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from the range with my new HK45. I shot IDPA with it yesterday and it performed like a champ. However, at the range today it was not locking open after the last round. Also occasionally slammed closed upon slamming the mag home.

Has anyone had this issue?

Anyone know what might be causing it?

Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
First off what ammo are you using?

Also, with a full mag, when you forcefully seat it will slam the slide home chambering you first round in most pistols.

Roger

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Just back from the range with my new HK45. I shot IDPA with it yesterday and it performed like a champ. However, at the range today it was not locking open after the last round. Also occasionally slammed closed upon slamming the mag home.

Thanks
My P30 is doing the no slide thing after each last round. I've been talking with HK about my P30 issues. I don't know way HK is having these problems with these new P30 and HK45.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off what ammo are you using?

Also, with a full mag, when you forcefully seat it will slam the slide home chambering you first round in most pistols.

Roger
Actually my Colt series 80 Mark IV has never done that over 18 years of use. Nor has my Beretta 93. I don't think this is a case of "everyone does it"

·
Registered
29 Posts
He said most. Not all.

I've experienced the issue on Glock and Sig pistols as well. If you seat the magazine hard enough, the force will bump the slide lock out of place. It normally tends to happen if you hit hard on the rear of the magazine.

As for not holding the slide open, the first thing I would look at are the mag springs. I know you shouldn't be experiencing this issue with a brand new gun, but **** happens. Call HK up and they'll probably have you ship the old springs back and get replaced with new ones. Or you could roll the Wolff route if they have springs available for the new models.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He said most. Not all.

I've experienced the issue on Glock and Sig pistols as well. If you seat the magazine hard enough, the force will bump the slide lock out of place. It normally tends to happen if you hit hard on the rear of the magazine.

As for not holding the slide open, the first thing I would look at are the mag springs. I know you shouldn't be experiencing this issue with a brand new gun, but **** happens. Call HK up and they'll probably have you ship the old springs back and get replaced with new ones. Or you could roll the Wolff route if they have springs available for the new models.

Is the issue that the springs are too strong? Would storing the mags fully loaded for a period of time help? I know that Wilson recommends this before use on its combat mags.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Thanks
This is almost always a magazine problem (in normally any guns, not just HKs).
Specifically look for damage to the magazine follower or your slide stop lever.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Check my response on the "Break my HK45" thread.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Probably those fabulous HK mag springs....

If U do some searching here on the forum - you will find that HK mag sprinsg are not that great. Many people, including myself, have to swop out the mag springs very fast. EVERY mag on my USPc (10 and 13 rounders) has had to have the springs swopped out after just a few uses.

SOme people buy the wollfe springs and swop them out as soon as they buy a new HK.

The problem for you is that unless they use USP or P2000 springs - U are stuck - as the gun is so new. There will be no wollfe springs for it yet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Magazine springs seem to be the popular consensus.

Remove your slide and reinstall the slide stop lever. Insert one of the magazines that have been giving you trouble and make sure the "ear" on your magazine follower is properly engaging the slide stop lever. You may also want to take a top down look at your magazine spring to make sure it is true. A little magazine spring tuning may be in order if the ear on your follower is missing the slide stop lever or the follower is not rising high enough in the magazine tube to engage it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Magazine springs seem to be the popular consensus.

Remove your slide and reinstall the slide stop lever. Insert one of the magazines that have been giving you trouble and make sure the "ear" on your magazine follower is properly engaging the slide stop lever. You may also want to take a top down look at your magazine spring to make sure it is true. A little magazine spring tuning may be in order if the ear on your follower is missing the slide stop lever or the follower is not rising high enough in the magazine tube to engage it.

Very nice pics and great explanation.

P.S.
Raufoss converted six of my H&K USPc and USPf to the light LEM and did a great and very speedy job. I think he can now do it in his sleep.
I could not even install the TRS spring that fast. The guns work great and the trigger is perfect. I wish I had more conversions for him.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Slide dropping during an emergency reload - I've had it happen on Glocks (very frequently), high-end 1911's (rare but happens), and even my S&W M&P 9mm from time to time. It usually happens when I'm shooting under stress (competition, shot timer, or a training class).

IMO: Don't worry about it and just enjoy the slightly faster reload. LOL

As for not locking back on an empty mag my first guess would be it's a new pistol familiarity / technique / grip / hold / training / practice issue.

1st guess – you’re inadvertently holding down the slide release with your support hand.

It's new and you’re not familiar with it yet. I fought through this with a brand new high-end 1911 before I attended some training classes AND got familiar with this particular handgun. I swore up & down it wasn't me and something was wrong with the gun, only to have 3-4 friends shoot it without issue. Like I said, after I got training & more familiar with the gun it NEVER happened again.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Roufoss

Raufoss, you're more than we deserve. Great pics too. Greg Bell mentioned that he has not had this problem about not locking open after the last round, and he thinks it may be my grip; that I'm accidentally pushing up on the slide lock. I don't know but I will eventually get back to the range to test this out.

Your info and pics give me something else to look at.

I did test the slide closing if I put a clip in too hard and indeed the slide does close if I slam in the clip. Clearly the slide release pin is just too close to the mag. (design issue I guess)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Keep us posted, I am wondering if my P30 will do the same

G

·
I can say that on occasion i have found my hk45 releasing the slide with a firm push of a new mag. perhaps it is a new feature for tactical reloading. i experimented with it and i can say for sure with a hard press and the mass of a full clip, it will release itself. it wont do it with an empty magazine.

hope this helps, chris

·
Registered
206 Posts
Guys alot of times when you find the slide not locking back on the last round the first thing to check is if your GRIP is interfering with the slide release. I think about 90% of the time this is the case. Happened with my P30, USPc, Sig and couple others until I made an effort to keep my thumbs away. Never happens anymore.

Before you go and buy new springs or stretch out current springs you need to make a conscious effort to avoid contact with the slide relase by adjusting your grip. If you are 100% certain that your thumb or grip is not hitting the slide relase then you can mess with mag springs or call HK.

·
Registered
114 Posts
LOL...Boy I remember this subject ......slide would always close after last shot...

something must be wrong with the gun...right?

NOPE ....It was me and my grip ....i was just nicking the slide release. you never notice it until the last shot.

try your grip and see if it happens when others shoot it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
LOL...Boy I remember this subject ......slide would always close after last shot...

something must be wrong with the gun...right?

NOPE ....It was me and my grip ....i was just nicking the slide release. you never notice it until the last shot.

try your grip and see if it happens when others shoot it.
Well, I changed all my springs and it stopped...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts