HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started messing with my HK45 today. I hadn't even looked at it until today (I got it yesterday but hadn't even opened the box). When I opened the box all I thought was WOW this is going to be great. I couldn't hardly wait to pick it up and it was laying in my lap. Anyway, I picked it up the grip was bigger then my P30 (which I love) but it was to be expected afterall it is a 45acp instead of 9mm.

I racked the slide, cleared the chamber and then I started looking it over it looked really nice everything was there very much like my P30 happy so far. I rode the slide forward and started messing with the trigger. PROBLEM I didn't like it. It seemed like the trigger had to go way too far back for it to break. I also noticed that my finger was rubbing the top of the mag. release. I went ahead and cleaned it and got ready to take it out to see how it did.

I went down to my vault picked up a box of Blazer brass 45acp in 230 grain and stepped out my back door onto the deck. My target I have in my backyard is just one of the Orange spinning targets about 5 inches around. It is about 20 yards away. The temp was 36 degrees and it was raining fairly hard.

I hit the target with every shot no problems and I was kinda surprised the mag didn't fall out every time my finger rubbed it. (Not real good for confidence in a combat pistol) Accuracy didn't seem to be a problem I will be able to tell more when I actually get to take it to the range and shoot some paper.

I then brought it back inside took a towel to it then put it up in the vault. Overall, I am disappointed in it. While accuracy and everything was good the trigger pull, and my finger rubbing the release everyshot don't give me alot of confidence in it. I would have probably liked it more if I had gotten it before I got my P30. Everything else is falling short in comparison.

As much as I believe that HK really hit the nail on the head with the P30 I think they dropped the ball at about the 3/4 mile marker with the HK45. I really expected much more especially with all the hipe about a SF operator, and a comp. shooter being involved in its design. Not too mention as great of a design as I think the P30 is.

It will have a easy existance as it will probably spend most of it's time sitting in the vault while the other pistols go to the range. It is a good pistol I think, just not the pistol I thought it would be with the issues I already pointed out.

Just my 2 cents on the HK45 take it for what it is worth as we all know what they say about opinions.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Sorry to hear that sfguard? Can you explain more about the trigger in comparison to the P30?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Sorry to hear that sfguard? Can you explain more about the trigger in comparison to the P30?
+1.
Thanks for the honest range report. It sucks that the Hk45 let you down. If the trigger is not working out for you how about having it switched to the LEM or Match trigger once the parts become available?

I am looking forward to finally picking up mine this week checking it out for myself.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it has more slop in it then the P30 especially on DA. My P30 don't seem to have much at all but the HK45 does have some in it. Plus the trigger pull is long, the trigger is almost touching the back of the trigger housing/front of mag well before it breaks. If I had to guess I would say about 1/16 of a inch before it touches. My P30s is not that long it breaks much sooner. Also, like I said about the trigger guard, and the mag release. I didn't like my finger rubbing the mag release every shot at all.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1.
Thanks for the honest range report. It sucks that the Hk45 let you down. If the trigger is not working out for you how about having it switched to the LEM or Match trigger once the parts become available?

I am looking forward to finally picking up mine this week checking it out for myself.

I will be looking into the LEM when it becomes available to see if that helps. Still will have the issue with the mag release but if I mess with it enough I might get more confident that it isn't going to drop the mag when I don't want it too.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thank you. I did look at a HK45 when I bought the P30. Grip felt nice, but I didn't spend alot of time inspecting it.
Seems like the P30 is the perfect balance of grip/trigger pull length for me. Until I actually shot the P30, I was planning on waiting for the HK45c. But seeing how much I like the spidey-grip on the P30, I though I might give the HK45 a shot. I'll go check it out and inspect it more closely. Probably just wait until I can inspect the new HK45C also before making a decision.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Sorry about your experience with the HK45. I guess it's not for everyone, but did you try changing the backstrap to see if that might have made a difference? I've noticed that the HKs are shipping with the large backstrap; this might cause your finger to rub on the release. As for the trigger, maybe giving it some time to "break-in"?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to mess with it more later don't have much time right now I have family in from way out of town. (They are taking a nap right now) But my initial impression of it was disappointment. We will see what happens after I mess with it some more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The guy at RHP said the same thing about the mag release rubbing his finger. It was more a comment about how it abraided his finger raw at testing. This is the one reason why I have not sold any of my USP45F's or any more Tactical's to fund this purchase. I wish the USP platform did not sit as high in the hand; having said that, I might take the 2 extra rounds and call it a day. Although I will still get a H&K45, I will wait until I've saved a few more bucks and pay cash and not trade or sell any more of my other's to fund the project.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Whos RHP as I would like to read artical? That review sf doesnt sound very promising. Should I opt for the HK USPC in .45 instead was debating between the 2.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wonder if you could swap the mag releases with a usp or the compact model? Failing that, maybe sand it down a bit

·
Registered
73 Posts
I tried my son's HK45 and liked the pistol. See my report here, with pics: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=186072
The pistol was very accurate and I did not feel any rubbiing with mag release. Everyone's hands are different. My dislike is a bit long trigger reach in DA mode and heavy DA pull. But overall the gun is manageable to even those with smaller hands. Incidentally, I am very comfortable with P2000 but not at all with the USP45.
I would not be disappointed with HK45 if I bought one. :)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried my son's HK45 and liked the pistol. See my report here, with pics: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=186072
The pistol was very accurate and I did not feel any rubbiing with mag release. Everyone's hands are different. My dislike is a bit long trigger reach in DA mode and heavy DA pull. But overall the gun is manageable to even those with smaller hands. Incidentally, I am very comfortable with P2000 but not at all with the USP45.
I would not be disappointed with HK45 if I bought one. :)
Saw your report good post by the way, and the usual morons commenting on HK CS. Like they have a clue just someone else looking for something to complain about.:rolleyes:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not what i was hoping to hear but thxs for the info

You never know it may fit your hand much better and you have no problems lots of people here have it and like it alot. Just didn't fit my hand very well

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
not what i was hoping to hear but thxs for the info
sfguard is one of the VERY FEW guys so far that had something negative to say about it. He really likes the gun but he just wants to be different from everyone else. :D

:380:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry to hear that sf....I just put 500 rounds through my HK45 on Wednesday and am simply in love with the thing. The trigger pull on mine is sweet and smooth. My finger does not rub the mag release when shooting but as you said, everyone's hand is different. I know you were really looking forward to it....Maybe the inclement weather combined with holiday stress put a damper on things eh? Try it again on a sunny day and get back to us...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts