HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, today I am a new handgun owner, first one being the HK45 Tactical. I chose the HK because it was a brand I could trust as many have deterred me since they are pricey compared to others but I had my mind set on it. I just received mine today and I am very pleased with the exception that it is a variant 7, being only a double-action and not a single action and/or double action. The way the dealer I spoke to before purchasing it, told me it was a double action but left the part that it was a double action only. Miscommunication on his part and poor research on mine. Either way, I couldn't return it unless I paid a 25% restock fee which is ridiculous.

The trigger pull requires quite a bit of pressue, so definitely not smooth at all. Which brings me here to where all the experienced folks are and was curious to know if I can convert it to a variant 1, assuming it would be less than the 25% restocking fee if that is even a thing. Sometimes it's best to learn the hard way, thank you in advance.

·
Quietly Making Noise
51 Posts
Welcome to the site, and welcome to the addiction. HKs have a way of multiplying. Search is your friend here as there are endless threads on HK trigger variants. I have converted most of mine to LEM and never looked back. Without question, I shoot my 45T the best. HKParts has the complete kit for $149.95 https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK45-LEM-Conversion-Kit-Complete-212p1129.htm Other supporting vendors, as well as HKCS also should be checked.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Welcome to the site, and welcome to the addiction. HKs have a way of multiplying. Search is your friend here as there are endless threads on HK trigger variants. I have converted most of mine to LEM and never looked back. Without question, I shoot my 45T the best. HKParts has the complete kit for $149.95 https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK45-LEM-Conversion-Kit-Complete-212p1129.htm Other supporting vendors, as well as HKCS also should be checked.
He has v7 LEM, I suggested light LEM so he would not need conversion kit, just some spring changes.

Or, he really might not like LEM.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You do realize the LEM only kicks in when there is a round in the chamber or the slide it racked. Otherwise it is the same pull as the DA. Just making sure it is a heavy LEM.

·
Registered
18,647 Posts
I believe you have the Heavy LEM variant, which has a 7.5 to 8.5-lb trigger pull after the slide cycles. If you do not rack the slide, it's about 11 to 12-lb pull. I would suggest converting it to Light LEM, which requires 2 springs: TRS (209266) and HS (214300) and produces a lighter, 4.5 to 5.5-lb trigger pull (when slide is racked).

If you still don't like the pull, then DA/SA is your answer. The DA/SA parts won't be cheap but I am sure many members would love to swap parts with you.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Don't make it DA/SA!!! Keep it LEM and replace a couple additional springs in it to make it MATCH/LEM hybrid. This is what I did to my HK45 that was a heavy lem trigger. IMO, match/lem hybrid is the finest trigger in the world and the HK45 rocks it like a champ (without needing a trigger over travel screw). I may have posted this pic before elsewhere, but this thread needs a pic. As others have mentioned, the LEM trigger only shines when the gun is cocked (it's not that heavy DAO pull you feel when just dry firing). So I would recommend to go shoot it before you change it. Enjoy, you purchased the finest gun HK makes in the best version!

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are right, HK&K identified it as a 12lb trigger pull when I spoke with them today. I could fork up the restock fee from the dealer or have H&K convert back to a variant 1 which they quoted me for a couple hundered or so. I am surprised the rep I spoke to mentioned many people converting to variant 7. I guess to each their own, either way the conversion should drop it to a 4-5lb pull which is suited to my needs.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
You are right, HK&K identified it as a 12lb trigger pull when I spoke with them today. I could fork up the restock fee from the dealer or have H&K convert back to a variant 1 which they quoted me for a couple hundered or so. I am surprised the rep I spoke to mentioned many people converting to variant 7. I guess to each their own, either way the conversion should drop it to a 4-5lb pull which is suited to my needs.
The gun is pretty easy to work on yourself if you are somewhat handy. There are how to threads in the reference section and videos on YouTube. Order the springs TooSixy mentioned and pop them into the gun. If you are replacing the trigger return spring, order the tool from HK parts (makes the normally difficult swap easy). Good luck!!

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Just like TooSixy stated, it just takes swapping a couple springs. I did these part numbers in mine to get it closer to a match/lem hybrid. It's about 4 lbs. HKCS may not have the match spring (I think I got mine from hkparts.net).

HK45 match hammer spring 215694
Trigger return spring 209266
Nickel plated sear spring 215691

If you don't want to do the replacement yourself, give Bill Springfield at triggerwork.net a call. You can just send him your frame and he will swap the springs for you. His turnaround time is usually very fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts