Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been mentioned that the HK45 may very well be the Colt 1911 of the
21st century. What do you think?

First a disclaimer: I'm a hard core Colt 1911 kool aid drinker. I mean Colt,
not the Kimber, Springfield or the other wannabe 1911s, The original 1911
is and will remain the only 1911 for me. I've been flamed on several 1911
boards for my diehard Colt lover status. But that's for another time.

Today, I fired my brand new HK45 and I am completely and absolutely
in awe of that pistol. I'm a lefty and with the addition of a right side
safety the HK45 would be the perfect pistol. Perfect in every way.

It's just like holding a modern incarnation of John Brownings masterpiece.
I have found my new favorite handgun in the HK45. I love it.
If you like the 1911 (who doesn't) then you must get a HK45.

It functioned flawlessly, was super accurate and all the good stuff
reported in other posts. No Problems at all.

In my opinion the HK45 will be the 1911 of the 21st century. Maybe in
the year 2107, handgun lovers will be getting ready to celebrate the
100th birthday of the greatest pistol of the 21st century. I hope so.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have NO doubt whatsoever that it is one of the premier combat pistols of the new century.

But the 1911 can be customized about a million different ways and has 12 companies I can think of off of the top of my head that make parts for it.

The HK won't. That doesn't mean it's not super cool. Lord knows I want one desperately! But the 1911 is the 1911 for a lot more than it's superb combat performance (I have 2).

HKs work great and don't need to be tinkered with. 1911s are usually for those who want something unique.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's been mentioned that the HK45 may very well be the Colt 1911 of the
21st century. What do you think?

First a disclaimer: I'm a hard core Colt 1911 kool aid drinker. I mean Colt,
not the Kimber, Springfield or the other wannabe 1911s, The original 1911
is and will remain the only 1911 for me. I've been flamed on several 1911
boards for my diehard Colt lover status. But that's for another time.
1911 of the 21st century? Doubtful.

It's a great gun but I think it has a long way to go to gain such esteem.

Sorry, Colt 1911?

There are far better renditions of the 1911 then what Colt produces.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not until we get a general idea of the accuracy produced.
After reading several articles written about the HK45 in some firearms publications, I have read that most of the authors have seen accuracy of 2 to 2 and 1/2 inches at 25 yards. That's plenty accurate for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is HK45 a 1911 of the 21-st century? No, it is a totally different pistol, mechanically and otherwise. I am a bullseye shooter and normally shoot Les Baer 1911 under 2" at 25 yards off-hand, but HK45 needs to be customized to do that. And customization of HK45 is not available. Holding by 2 hands, I could shoot groups under 2.5-3" at 25 yards with HK45, but there were flyers. My son was plenty accurate with HK45 at 50 yards, but again it was a not a bullseye-type shooting. To compare accuracy, one needs to do a ransom rest test.
See my range report here, with pics:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=186072

·
Registered
802 Posts
There are 4 guns that will stand the test of time.

M2
M16/M4/AR
AK47

A good sign that a design is great is when everyone is copying it. HK45 will be lucky to survive even 25 years. I would put money on it that in 50 years, everyone would have forgotten about it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is HK45 a 1911 of the 21-st century? No, it is a totally different pistol, mechanically and otherwise....

I think that's understood.

What I meant is in the area of popularity and acceptance as a combat pistol. Neither was designed as a target pistol. Combat accuracy is acceptable.

The 1911 has been copied, improved, tinkered with and has an
entire industry devoted to selling improvement parts and accessories.

The HK45 is the finished product. It's there already. Ready to go
right out of the box.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think being "The 1911 of the 21st Century" would more likely be a Glock than anything HK ever produced.

I have the HK45, and it's a great pistol no doubt. But it's certainly nothing revolutionary. Rather it's a further refinement of the USP platform. The 1911 is in no danger from any double action factory pistol. As a matter of fact, it would be a Glock that comes closer to the 1911 with its short reset trigger.

The ergos of the HK45 may loosely mimic the 1911, but make no mistake about it, it's still chunkier and has a pretty horrid polymer trigger that flexes significantly when it's cycled, especially in DA. They could've gone with a MK23 trigger and had a MUCH better feel, at least it would get the trigger into SIG territory.

Comparing the HK45 to a good 1911 is much like comparing a tool to a precision instrument. Unless HK introduces a SA only model with a short reset steel trigger, the HK45 will suffer the same handicaps that have plagued the USP. Take a look at all the versions of the USP (expert, match, elite, ect.) Most owners will no doubt swear they're reliable as hell and VERY accurate, but they don't lend themselves well to speed related competitive events in the same way an STI or SVI would. Bruce Gray does wonders with the USP and he's won his share of matches with them. No doubt, he'd be the first to mention the USP's drawbacks for rapid fire shooting.

By contrast, Glock pretty much started from a clean slate and developed the safe action trigger system which though still mushy and imperfect by 1911 standards has a very short and positive reset which contributes to good shooting under rapid fire.

Due to a lot of factors, I think Glock would be a LOT closer to holding the title of "The 1911 of the 21st Century."

If John M. Browning was alive today, I'm sure he'd agree.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I wouldn't go as far to say glock is the "new 1911 of the 21st century" in fact i'd say the 1911 of the 1911 of the 21st century. It's still going strong after 100 years of use and most people I know have at least one in their collection, don't fix what isn't broken.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would have to say there's no chance the HK45 will be the 1911 of the 21st century. In fact, it won't even be the Luger or Browning Hi-Power. First, there's nothing revolutionary about it. It's just an evolved HK USP. Do you guys really think other companies are going to start cloning the HK45 design? I seriously doubt it. In fact, honestly the only handgun in recent years that has truly been innovative from a clean slate and is truly an iconic pistol is the Glock 17. That's not to say that the HK45 isn't a great pistol because it is. However, if we think about the greatest pistols of the 20th century, I think most of us would put some of the following in the list: Colt 1911, German Luger, Browning Hi-Power, Glock 17, S&W 357 Mag, S&W J-frame, etc. I really don't see the HK45 becoming one of those guns for the 21st century.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i agree w/ germanic.....im a die hard hk lover, but the usp/hk45 won't gain the esteem that the 1911 has built. even though i don't like glocks, it has more historical significance than the usp/hk45.......if any polymer handgun can be on the list of firearms as significant as the 1911, it'll prolly be the glock before the usp/hk45.
on that note, the list of modern cartridge firearms you'd mention in the same sentence as a 1911 in history/design excellence is very short (as others have pointed out).....
imho, winchester 94, colt 1873, 1911, mauser 1898, m1 garand, ak47 (whose origins trace to the stg44 really).

·
Registered
337 Posts
But the 1911 can be customized about a million different ways and has 12 companies I can think of off of the top of my head that make parts for it.
And that has to be considered one of the modern 1911's negatives. Too much gunsmithing is required to fit all of the various manufacturers parts together into a reliable firearm. Not to mention 1911 magazines - what a nightmare.

The HK won't.
That’s good news in my book. One company, one set of specs, one QC process, one blue print, all of it truly drop-in. Who could ask for more?

As time passes HK should have all of the variants available for the HK45. When that happens nobody can really complain. You can set up your HK45 basically anyway you want it. Not to mention sights manufacturers will make after-market sights for it, no question about it. Although I will not be changing them, I love the stock sights.

·
Registered
423 Posts
With the thumb safety and the ability to be carried "Chocked and Locked" it might come close to being like a 1911. I keep waiting for Greg or somebody to post their results of shooting the same course of fire with a 1911 and the HK 45 that would include time, score and their splits between shots.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.