HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been noticing the break point for my HK45 has been getting further and further. Now the break point is pretty much a millimeter or so before the trigger hits the frame. Comparing to my HK45c the break point is still nice and sharp so I'm wondering if some of the fire control components havent been worn down some just enough to mess with the break point.

Using the parts diagram on HKparts which parts control when the trigger breaks so I may fix this issue.
HKParts | Heckler & Koch Genuine Parts - HKPARTS.NET

Will upload pictures later for visual reference.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
That would be odd. All though, I have had several TRS break that gave me the sensation before breaking that the trigger break was changing. Do you dry-fire a lot?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont believe its the TRS as I've changed it(went from light to TGS). I generally try to dry fire with snap caps but dont see how that can affect the trigger.

Here the the HK45 trigger right before the break

My HK45c trigger right before the break

Both are LEM, HK45 was factory and HK45c was done by me. Only thing I can think of is maybe the catch or trigger bar on the HK45 is worn down some therefore causing the trigger to have a much longer/spongy break than the HK45c.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The reason I asked about dry-firing is that the more you work the trigger, the quicker the TRS wears out. I've broken several. While the TRS really doesn't have anything to do with trigger sear engagement, it always felt to me that the engagement changed as the tension reduced on the TRS via wear.

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
I have no idea, but I am very interested in hearing what you find out.

·
Registered
765 Posts
TRS will not affect the break point. Pull weight, but not the breaking point.

The mechanical link from the trigger itself, the transfer bar, the sear actuator latch and sear, to the point on the hammer/cocking piece all tie together to determine the break point. It *might* be possible for the flat spring or detent/detent spring to affect it, as well. Comparing it to another pistol, especially one in a different frame, is an unfair comparison since there might be a tiny difference in the mounting points of those parts between each frame. I find it hard to believe that it has moved that much over time, and even less believable that it would have moved enough within a short enough time frame to be humanly perceptable. Without before-and-after pics or measurements, I'd have to chalk it up to tolerances in all the parts (especially including the frame).

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got home early from work today and set to work on detail stripping my HK45 and HK45c. I compared the components for both and outside of some normal wear on the HK45 parts(shot more than compact) the only noticeable "defect" was a slight gouge on the leg of the trigger bar. I first swapped the trigger bar to see if it was the cause of the trigger creep but no joy. I then said f' it and swapped all parts(outside of hammer spur and springs) between the full size and compact and lo behold, the creep in the full size was gone. There is now a small/barely noticeable creep to the compact now but is nowhere as bad as it was on the full size. Sorry for no pictures but my camera doesnt have a good macro setting so all the pictures were either out of focus or too fuzzy for details.

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Weird, I hope you are able to determine which part is out of spec.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I thought i was starting to notice this as well on my USP .45

Is this something to worry about or is it something that happens the more the gun gets fired? Ive probably dry fired about 250 times and my round count is 1150...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts