HKPRO Forums banner

HK45 V1 or V7?

20K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  LCSO264 
#1 ·
Hi guys/gals. First time poster and about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on an HK45T. Dealer is asking me to choose between the V1 or V7. Let me state that I've researched this topic quite a bit and there's plenty of confusing info out there. I think I understand the difference pretty well. I have not fired either gun and I won't have the ability to before I place the order. I'm coming from a Glock 23 (.40 cal) and Browning 9mm. My question is am I better off getting the V1 and converting it to an LEM trigger? It would seem that would be the least costly path than the other way around which I don't think is even doable since the V7 frame doesn't have cutout for the decocker. I like the theory behind the V7 but I'm afraid I may not be able to get used to it and then I'm kind of stuck. It's hard for me to grasp not having SA/DA with a manual safety. But for no real good reason other than what I'm used to on my Browning 9mm. Is it similar to the Glock?

I need to decide very soon and I'm sort of leaning towards getting a V1 and converting it to LEM. This way I still have the manual safety (albeit maybe not as useful on LEM). But everything I read about the V7 seems people love it plus it's a lower profile frame without added width of safety. I'm also reading a number of people accidentally decocking the gun while reaching for the slide lever or while firing if they run their thumb up high. Ugh these first world problems :) TIA for any guidance!!

See less See more
#17 ·
This ^^^ 100%. However, this requires lots of training, especially if you're coming from a Gluck..

#4 ·
Since you haven't fired either v1 or 7, and you currently carry a striker pistol, it will have a learning curve. Personally, i like to keep all my guns v1 if possible. I can always change to lem as you state. I like to carry cocked and locked. I find that the single action first shot is even a better trigger than the lem. Double action, not as good as lem. Good luck with your new gun.

#5 ·
I have both a v1 and v7 HK45 full size, and converted my 45C from v1 to v7.

The V1 is German made, low serial number, and I left it V1 as that's how it came NIB. My V7 also came that way, I prefer Light LEM as more similar to my VP9 (not same obviously, but similar). The V1 when at range I just manually cock and shoot SA, though for carry I guess condition 1 and decocker would be attractive to some.

You'll end up with both in the long run as I did.

#7 ·
Buy a V1 and convert to LEM if you want at a later time. LEM, like wine, is an acquired skill and not many people shoot LEM well, let alone the fact that you have never shot one before. It is also cheaper to go from V1 --> LEM than to go from LEM --> V1.

If your worry is accidental decocking of your gun, change the Detent Plate to get rid of the decocking.

#10 ·
Buy a V1 and convert to LEM if you want at a later time. LEM, like wine, is an acquired skill and not many people shoot LEM well, let alone the fact that you have never shot one before. It is also cheaper to go from V1 --> LEM than to go from LEM --> V1.

If your worry is accidental decocking of your gun, change the Detent Plate to get rid of the decocking.
I see you are a newbie here. Welcome and congrats on owning a top notch fire arm and wanting to learn more about it from our top notch family here. TooSixy is a very knowledgeable member who is always willing to help. He is usually always close by!

#11 ·
I run all my HK45's with a 5+6 Detent plate, cocked n locked and ride the thumb safety with no worries. I run LEM's however in all my HK45c's. Both are a great options. Not a fan of having the decock capability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.