HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks -

Recently got an HK45 (V1, BB Date Code) and took it out for the first time. I find the reset to be a bit longer than what I'm used to, and think I saw that the LEM kit would shorten the reset, so I bought it. However, before I take the time to install it, can anyone confirm the actual reset distance with the stock V1 vs. LEM? I've read .25 for the V1, which sounds about right, considering it feels about twice as long as my P99 / PPQ. Can anyone confirm the actual reset lengths for both variants? If the LEM is no shorter, I'll have an unopened LEM kit for sale soon!

Obligatory Pic.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The reset for LEM should be identical to that of the single action mode from the v1, at least that was my experience when installing the the LEM on my HK45. Perhaps you misread the information a bit. What is different is the reset point in the LEM versus the double action mode. Remember that the LEM is still technically a double action only mechanism. The difference is the reset point of the double action in the LEM is the same as the reset point of the single action mode, which is to say much shorter than the reset point of the standard non-LEM double action mode. I don't have measurements, but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Harkamus --

You're saying that when I release the trigger on a LEM pistol to the reset point the pistol is back to Double Action ("technically a double action only mechanism"). :wink: Just 'cuz HK markets the LEM as a DAO pistol doesn't change he fact the motion of the slide completely cocks the pistol. Something I think is referred to as "technically single action."

If anyone is hoping for a microscopic M1911 reset they'll be disappointed. The V1 and LEM sear are different but the only difference I can see is there's no provision for the decocker on the LEM sear, that little tab is missing on the LEM sear. Reset for second shot (SA Mode) should be the same. LEM reverts to SA mode any time you pull the trigger back far enough to bring the hammer back or release to reset.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Once you get used to the trigger reset, I believe that you get used to the reset and can shoot it very quickly. Personally, I believe the ultimate short reset for the package can be achieved by Gray Guns, or bu installing the overtravel screw inthe trigger.

I have the LEM and the overtravel screw, and find the reset excellent. I'll take the longer reset compared to the 1911 platform for the advantages of the HK platform.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Harkamus --

You're saying that when I release the trigger on a LEM pistol to the reset point the pistol is back to Double Action ("technically a double action only mechanism"). :wink: Just 'cuz HK markets the LEM as a DAO pistol doesn't change he fact the motion of the slide completely cocks the pistol. Something I think is referred to as "technically single action."
Well it's all semantics anyway. There's also the internal hammer which I don't really care to explain to people. If it's a techie inclined person I'm talking to, I just tell them it's a single action trigger except the hammer rides forward if you let go completely, after which you have a very light, almost miniscule trigger pull weight on the take up prior to the reset point. After briefly explaining that to them, they seem to understand, but are still equally intrigued, so I let them dry fire, and then they understand perfectly.

LEM reset is supposedly slightly longer than SA reset, but not much. [/url]
If that is actually the case, then I am not sensitive enough to notice a difference. I wouldn't be surprised if there are subtle variances though due to machining. I've heard of people with LEM triggers having a slight over travel. Mine has zero over travel. Once my trigger breaks, it's at the end of its pull with no travel past the breaking point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If that is actually the case, then I am not sensitive enough to notice a difference. I wouldn't be surprised if there are subtle variances though due to machining. I've heard of people with LEM triggers having a slight over travel. Mine has zero over travel. Once my trigger breaks, it's at the end of its pull with no travel past the breaking point.
Good to know, that's been my biggest concern, in my debate to go LEM on my HK45c. I have the parts kit being delivered this week, and if I don't like it, I figure I can always sell it to somebody else here.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Good to know, that's been my biggest concern, in my debate to go LEM on my HK45c. I have the parts kit being delivered this week, and if I don't like it, I figure I can always sell it to somebody else here.
Yea, you should have no problem selling the parts here. This is where I got mine from too, from a guy that didn't like LEM and just took the parts out of the gun.

My only advice is to give it a few hundred rounds down range before you decide to chuck it. It may seem super intuitive because of the trigger pull being the same, but there is still a learning curve for many people that go from da/sa to LEM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it looks like the Gray Guns package is the only option if I want to get the reset into the same range as the Walthers... I was short-stroking big time at the range going back and forth from the P99 to the HK45, so I was hoping that with the LEM I'd have a minimal platform difference between the HK45 & PPQ, reducing the need (and cost) of more practice. I hate to be without a new gun for a month, so I guess I'll have to get some more time in and see if I can adapt.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Two terms I've often used interchangeably and probably wrong. What's the difference in over travel and creep?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Overtravel is the unnecessary distance a trigger travels after it drops the hammer, creep is a feeling in the trigger perceived by the trigger finger as it travels to the rear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Two terms I've often used interchangeably and probably wrong. What's the difference in over travel and creep?
Over travel is span traveled by the trigger after the shot is fired. Should be non-existent. Creep is the span traveled by the trigger after resistance starts to be felt.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I guess mine would be more what's called creep-as I thought. It's not much but just enough to be noticeable while shooting from the bench more than standing and that may just be my imagination on that. I imagine also that Gray's could get 90% of the creep out of the trigger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts