HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I picked up a used HK45 with the LEM trigger. The sales guy couldn't tell me where the gun came from but he thought it was a police trade-in since it was with some used USP's in the case. The gun had no carry wear (unlike the USP's) but had been shot. I never noticed to just recently that the gun has a really early serial number 126-0001xx with a AH date code.

I thought I read somewhere that it took a few years before they shipped LEM versions of the HK to the US. The matching case does not show a version number, it says "PISTOL HK45 COMPL".

Was this gun originally a LEM or has it been converted? Maybe it was sent to a police department for demo before factory LEM's where available to the public?

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
LEM stands for Law Enforcement Modification. Which may at first sound like it is a LEO only pistol. That is not the case. That is the Name of the trigger group. Same as a Sig DAK trigger.

That being said. Your pistol may very well have been an LEM prior to being sold to you. HK45's are not carried by any law enforcement agency that I am aware of. So I don't know where it came from, but it may have been one before you got it.

Pistol HK45 COMPL means that it is compliant with the state laws in which it was sold.

·
Registered
18,642 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
LEM stands for Law Enforcement Modification. Which may at first sound like it is a LEO only pistol. That is not the case. That is the Name of the trigger group. Same as a Sig DAK trigger.

That being said. Your pistol may very well have been an LEM prior to being sold to you. HK45's are not carried by any law enforcement agency that I am aware of. So I don't know where it came from, but it may have been one before you got it.

Pistol HK45 COMPL means that it is compliant with the state laws in which it was sold.
The officer (for our small town) that wrote the report for my fender bender was carrying an HK45. I was surprised and asked him about it as it used to be they could only carry Glock 21s. He said the new chief allows them to carry whatever they want as long as it's .45 and reliable. Obviously not the orm but I was pleased to see it just the same.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe COMPL means Complete and INCOMPL means Incomplete. Many of the HK guns are shipped to US facility incomplete (no accessories, no mags, no manual, etc.) and later packaged with accessories at the HK plant before shipped out to distributors/dealers.

See this post:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/153169-what-does-incompl-mean-usp-box-label.html#post1145154
That's what I thought it meant too but I wasn't sure either.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe COMPL means Complete and INCOMPL means Incomplete. Many of the HK guns are shipped to US facility incomplete (no accessories, no mags, no manual, etc.) and later packaged with accessories at the HK plant before shipped out to distributors/dealers.

See this post:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/153169-what-does-incompl-mean-usp-box-label.html#post1145154
Now that you say that, I am thinking you are right about that.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
The officer (for our small town) that wrote the report for my fender bender was carrying an HK45. I was surprised and asked him about it as it used to be they could only carry Glock 21s. He said the new chief allows them to carry whatever they want as long as it's .45 and reliable. Obviously not the orm but I was pleased to see it just the same.
There are some departments that allow that. But they are often small, or they are officers that have been in for a long ass time. They have a standard department issue, and other ancillary weapon options. All you have to do is qualify with it. And it has to pass department standards.

Wish I could do it. You better carry extra mags though, if you run out of ammo, no one is going to be able to give you a mag.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I don't believe any HK45's came from Germany as a LEM, and most likely was converted here.

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
There are some departments that allow that. But they are often small, or they are officers that have been in for a long ass time. They have a standard department issue, and other ancillary weapon options. All you have to do is qualify with it. And it has to pass department standards.

Wish I could do it. You better carry extra mags though, if you run out of ammo, no one is going to be able to give you a mag.
There are increasingly more dept's allowing officers to carry their own handguns. We switched a few years ago, there are about a half dozen of us in my dept carrying the HK45 now.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
My "AK" proofed HK45C case is marked the same way. COMPL. There is no indication on the handle nor paper label that this is a LEM pistol (unless it's in code).

Until recently all HK45/HK45C LEM pistols were converted from standard V1 at HKI in Columbus GA. None were imported as LEM.

-- Chuck

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
There are increasingly more dept's allowing officers to carry their own handguns. We switched a few years ago, there are about a half dozen of us in my dept carrying the HK45 now.
Remind me to move there, and join the department.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts