HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi folks,

which one is better(handlin,accuracy...),which would you recommend?

usp .45 12 rounds,better buffer---less recoil...

hk 45 only 10 and polymer buffer which is not that effective...tac. light mount...,slimmer frame...

do you agree with that or am i wrong??

actually i wanted the hk45 but now i am thinking about the usp...2 rounds more,better buffer...should have less recoil...

did anybody shoot both???

thanks guys
tommy

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have shot and owned both of them. The ergonomics of the HK45 are much better than the USP. If you are an experienced shooter I would say go handle both of them before you decide. If you are not an experienced shooter, and really don't know how to "feel" a handgun then I would say just get the HK45. I have yet to meet a person who has handled both that didn't prefer the HK45.

The recoil reducing properties of the HK USP's recoil assembly are really more about reducing battering on the polymer frame than actually reducing recoil. Bruce Gray actually removed the system from his competition guns because of how the system slowed lock-up. Also, remember that the HK45's improved grip and the fact that your hand will sit higher on the frame will probably do more to limit perceived recoil.

The 2 rounds, well, that is a decision you have to make for yourself. The trade off for the superior grip of the HK45 is a slightly reduced capacity. HK lists 15 round extended mags as an accessory but HK USA doesn't know anything about them yet. Some folks poo-poo the idea that you might make the decison based on 2 rounds. I won't. Capacity is a personal thing. Some folks are comfortable, and are quite well defended with 5 shot revolvers. OTOH, I have never felt I had "too much" capacity.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi greg,

thanks a lot for your answer...it all makes sence...i am used to glocks and would like to try some hk...
did you also shot the hk45c? this would also be some option.But i gues the ergonomics wouldnt be that good...
Hard decision:) but one is for sure: i would like to be a member of the hk family:)

does anybody have any 45c experiences?

thanks a lot guys for your help!
tommy

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have shot and owned both of them. The ergonomics of the HK45 are much better than the USP. If you are an experienced shooter I would say go handle both of them before you decide. If you are not an experienced shooter, and really don't know how to "feel" a handgun then I would say just get the HK45. I have yet to meet a person who has handled both that didn't prefer the HK45.

The recoil reducing properties of the HK USP's recoil assembly are really more about reducing battering on the polymer frame than actually reducing recoil. Bruce Gray actually removed the system from his competition guns because of how the system slowed lock-up. Also, remember that the HK45's improved grip and the fact that your hand will sit higher on the frame will probably do more to limit perceived recoil.

The 2 rounds, well, that is a decision you have to make for yourself. The trade off for the superior grip of the HK45 is a slightly reduced capacity. HK lists 15 round extended mags as an accessory but HK USA doesn't know anything about them yet. Some folks poo-poo the idea that you might make the decison based on 2 rounds. I won't. Capacity is a personal thing. Some folks are comfortable, and are quite well defended with 5 shot revolvers. OTOH, I have never felt I had "too much" capacity.
Heck for years I carried My 1911 with 7 and one in the chamber. Extra mags had only 7. To have 10 back then would have been nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi guys thanks for all your posts...especially goodfella(please take care!!!)

i gues i would go with the hk 45 or hk 45c... but first i have to test both :)

so there will be 15 round .45 clips for the hk 45?that would be brilliant.that would make my decision much easier:)

bye
tommy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Concerning the 10+1 capacity, well, since the HK45 was designed for a slimmer more ergonomic frame with superb handling (and this means your POI should improve which = accuracy of shot placement which = a better chance at stopping the threat sooner). I believe the trade off for two (2) less rounds is a moot point all things considered...

Having said that, I like higher capacity which is reflected in my primary carry firearm, a Para-Ord P16/40 converted to 10mm with 16+1. This Para 1911 pattern 10mm replaced (in capacity only, not platform) my two decades of carrying a Colt Delta (10mm with 8+1). FWIW, the Colt Delta replaced a Colt Gov't in 45ACP with 7+1 that I carried in the 1970's to mid 1980's. So you see, I like higher capacity in a major caliber, but I also like accuracy even more, and that for me and many others means a 1911 pattern handgun...

The HK45 is more '1911-like' than was the USP design and that is why I find it so accurate and comfortable in hand. And since it's a H&K product, one needs not worry about quality and inherent reliability. A 'cocked & locked' HK45 is certainly a first cousin to the 1911 Government, and performs/handles in that same vein. Good luck...

DISCLAIMER: The preceding personal opinions are just that -- opinions. They were derived through study & reading, from conversations with other firearm enthusiasts, and by finalizing my own experiences regarding the subject at hand; the comments are not intended as a slight against any other opinion/opinions from forum members or administrators...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I own both and they are both exceptional weapons. The HK45 has the best grip of any gun I've ever felt and you also have the "standard" rail system which allows most all weapon lights w/o any needed gizmo's.

Both are fine, both will serve you well, hell buy both!!! I did.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I know I have talked about this before on other threads but magazine capacity is a big deal for me. There are other polymer frame guns out there (XD 45) that have a 13 round mag capacity with an ergonomic grip. You would think HK could do the same if not better.

I use my USP 45 for duty and have four extra mags on my gun belt. This is necessary because we stop cars full of four or more gang members all the time. It is not uncommon for them to be armed (with ak-47's, mac 11's, glocks converted to full auto with high caps ). I already carry 12+1 rounds as opposed to my partners who carry a 92fs which now have factory flush fitting 17 round mags plus their round in the chamber. Thats a five round difference per magazine over what I carry now. I can't really justify loosing an additional two rounds. The bad guy shooting back at me may have 17 rounds. Now multiply that by 2,3, or even 4 of them. The less I have to reload the better.

I guess magazine capacity isn't as huge of an issue for range guns but for LE/Military it can mean life or death. Having your magazine go dry when engaging multiple threats is a horrible feeling. One or two extra rounds can be the difference between going home or going to the morgue. Of course accuracy is always the most important factor. But I would rather be accurate and have twelve rounds than ten. It's amazing how fast you go though rounds when someone is shooting back at you. They go even faster when more than one person is shooting back at you.

I think you should get the HK 45 if the USP grip and magazine capacity is not an issue for you. The HK 45 comes with match trigger parts minus the trigger stop. It has an o-ring barrel and the grip is much, much better than the USP. Not to mention an industry standard accessory rail.

I will definitely be getting one also but I am holding out for those 15 round mags or plus two extensions. You can never go wrong with buying an HK.
To bad the don't have the MP7 yet for you guys.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think Greg Bell nailed it. Both the USP and HK45 are outstanding pistols. As Greg mentioned, I've read similar comments from Bruce Gray regarding shooting the USP at high speed. The recoil system can make it difficult for consistent recoil management. For that reason, I think the HK45 recoil system is an improvement.

No doubt the ergos are greatly improved with the HK45. As a matter of fact, I have it on good authority that Nill actually came up with the profile for the HK45 and P30. I think the ergos will go a long way to improve shooter performance.

Regarding magazine capacity, I think HK made the right move in going with 10rnd. magazines. In magazine design, there comes a point of diminishing returns regarding capacity. Most 1911 shooters prefer a 7rnd magazine to the "improved" 8rnd magazines that are common today. By cramming more rounds into the tube, it often places excess stress on the spring and certainly makes seating a full mag into a pistol with a closed slide more difficult. Further, in order to cram those extra couple of rounds into the tube, there's usually a proportional reduction in the follower length, and thereby less support for the rounds as they strip from the mag. I for one have never been a big fan of "+2" mag upgrades.

As far as 10rnds being a handicap in the LE/Mil world, I think 10 guaranteed rounds are better than 12 or 15 that are "probably" going to feed. I can't help but think that having a magazine compressed to it's maximum limit over an extended period of time will eventually present feeding issues down the road. The design of the HK45 magazine makes reloads with a full mag into a closed action easier and requires less force than loading a full 12rnd mag into a similar USP. This results in less stress on the mag spring and the mag catch. It's too early to tell yet, but I'd bet the lifespan of the mag springs on the HK45 will outlast those on the USP 45.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and what about these 15round mags?any news??will these also work with ups models?
is it only a gossip or real stuff:)

thanks
tommy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Traded my USP 45compact for the HK45 and shot it today for the first time.
I did think that recoil was little more than I felt with my compact.
Grip was much better and it seemed to not come off target much. I'd have to rate the better accuracy to the HK45.
About 250 rounds, blaser, magtech and reloads. Only one FTE with a reload.
Trigger, both DA and SA was much better than the USP.
Only gripe would be to put a flatter magazine base plat on. It could be shortened up about .25 or so.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have not shot both, I own the USPf and USPc and love them. From all the great things I have heard about the HK45 it seems like an excellent weapon. I am so emotionally attached to the USPf and USPc that I just cant switch my carry guns to the HK45.

If price is an issue, you may be able to get a used USP cheaper, otherwise there doesnt seem to be much reason for going with the USP series unless you count its excellent track record (HK45 hasnt had enough time to build one up yet) or you simply think it looks better (not sure if that is a good enough reason).

I personally will not be switching to the HK45 series and there is no shame going with the USP series either.

·
Registered
597 Posts
and what about these 15round mags?any news??will these also work with ups models?
is it only a gossip or real stuff:)

thanks
tommy
From all i'm able to see, the HK45 full sz. 15-rd mag has been speculated to be either an upcoming option or a 'typo'. I sorta doubt it's a typo. We see that the HK45Compact/USPc.45 has the 10-rd option now, it would be logical to assume that Hk will have a high cap mag option for the HK45 Full Sz. But of course the large 15-round mag will make the gun look ugly... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't held or shot the new HK45 so I can't really comment. I would agree that a USP is harder to shoot quickly than some other weapons like glocks or 1911's but I don't really see that as a bad thing.

Accuracy and hits are everything you don't really need to be able to do 8 rounds per second, like some race gun, you need hits and accuracy combined.

Now I'm not saying an HK is more accurate or less accurate than a glock but the recoil makes an HK feel a little slower.

Personally I think the 2 rounds is important, by the time you add it up it's 6 rounds if you're really carrying a normal rig.

Keep in mind that the harder you squeeze the more a grip will feel comfortable if your hands can take the pain. I squeeze all handguns to death and my hands have a very high pain tolerance. Most people don't like the USP grip bc it feels too blocky. For me it feels like I can really crank on it and get a super strong grip. That seems to effect perceived recoil drastically.

If you're not strong enough to grip rediculously hard then ergonomics will come into play more, but then again that's just my opinion.

USP's are pretty sweet, then again I don't own an HK45

·
Registered
47 Posts
I definitely like guns with higher ammunition capacity. I find myself preferring my Para P13 more and more lately. The 13+1 round capacity in a smaller package compared to my full size USP .45 with 12+1 makes it more appealing to me. I'd sure like to try out an HK45 though and I'm sure I'd buy one in addition to the USPs I have.

·
Registered
49 Posts
HK45 capacity

One of my shooting buddies bought a new HK45 about a month ago and has been using it at a local range on monday nights for practical shooting competition. We have found that the magazines will hold 11 rounds not just the ten that they are labled as. So far there have been no reliability problems doing this. Has anybody else done this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
One of my shooting buddies bought a new HK45 about a month ago and has been using it at a local range on monday nights for practical shooting competition. We have found that the magazines will hold 11 rounds not just the ten that they are labled as. So far there have been no reliability problems doing this. Has anybody else done this?
No, and I wouldn't recommend it even if it's possible, which you apparently discovered it is. The magazine is designed for 10 rounds and one should respect that design. Springs, body, follower, and base would all be stressed jamming in another round. At the range, I suppose you can do whatever you want, but stressing the magazine beyond design may lead to reliability problems 'down-the-road' even when you go back to just loading ten (10). IMO, it's not worth the risk of future results, IGO1320...

DISCLAIMER: The preceding personal opinions are just that -- opinions. They were derived through study & reading, from conversations with other firearm enthusiasts, and by finalizing my own experiences regarding the subject at hand; the comments are not intended as a slight against any other opinion/opinions from forum members or administrators...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, the 10th is a pretty tight fit in both my mags....I seriously don't think an 11th would even be possible, let alone a wise idea, in the 2 mags that I have. There was no doubt when loading mine for the first time, that I had reached "10".

1 - 20 of 40 Posts