HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello HK family....was wondering if anybody has tried the new +2 mag extensions? How does it compare is size to the "elephant foot"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
I've not tried it, but I just looked at the pic's of it at HKParts. looks pretty similar in size to the elephant foot to me, although less elephanty looking..... I'm sure it works perfectly, but it is and added extender to the 8 round mag, where as the elephant foot is a solid piece 10 round magazine with a rubber'ish boot that fills the void below the mag well. I would tend to think, the solid piece 10 round magazine is less prone to some kind of malfunction, than a magazine with an extender attached?

that said, I have been using a different brand mag extender on my full size HK45 mags, and have had absolutely zero issues/malfunctions.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you're talking about the Taylor Freelance extensions, I have one and it works well once I milled a new, thinner (0.020") retainer plate for it. The stock plate is too thick (0.030") and sticks in the magwell in my experience. Also, you need to use the longer mag spring from a 10-round mag for the bolt stop to function properly on an empty mag.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I surely don't see a value in a non HK extension. Why not just buy factory?? it looks like the same thing to me also........

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
If you're talking about the Taylor Freelance extensions, I have one and it works well once I milled a new, thinner (0.020") retainer plate for it. The stock plate is too thick (0.030") and sticks in the magwell in my experience. Also, you need to use the longer mag spring from a 10-round mag for the bolt stop to function properly on an empty mag.
not to get too far off of the OP's topic. Yes, I'm using TF extension, but on my full size mags. and I only load them to 12, not 13. absolutely zero issues with them, slide locks back, etc.....

Now, back to the OP; I agree with Mew. I think the elephant foot is the way to go if you're just looking for 10 round capacity for the HK45c. but again, I've not tried, or even touched the HKParts extensions.....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies...I was talking about the "extender" that is listed on HK Parts.net.

I already got a few elephant foots, so i'll be the guinea pig and try this new one

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Thanks for replies...I was talking about the "extender" that is listed on HK Parts.net.

I already got a few elephant foots, so i'll be the guinea pig and try this new one

Cool, I am curious. It looks solid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the +2 mag extensions and they are smaller than the elephant foot mags. You do need a 10 rnd spring in order for the slide to lock back consistently. They are more ergonomic than the elephant mags. I like them but they feel a little heavier than the elephant mags. Haven't weighed them but I might do that. It does give the gun a different look.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the +2 mag extensions and they are smaller than the elephant foot mags. You do need a 10 rnd spring in order for the slide to lock back consistently. They are more ergonomic than the elephant mags. I like them but they feel a little heavier than the elephant mags. Haven't weighed them but I might do that. It does give the gun a different look.
Got one of those 10 rnd springs enroute also!

Thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't mind the elephant foot mags that much. I think the ones on HKPARTS look goofy. I wish they would make it just a pure extension. NO LARGER than it needs to be to hold the extra rounds. I kinda wish they would do a slimline replacement for the elephant foot in that way. Just enough covering to wrap around the mag and protect from over-insertion. Everything else is just excess bulk.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have the older taylor freelance extensions. At first I put them on the 8 round mags to get 10 rounds; yes can get the elephant foot mags to get 10 rounds but the 8 rounders + TF = a shorter mag than the elephant foot.
TF has a newer gen extension that is supposed to run better on the 8 round mags. Hoping to get those soon.
Tried the older one on 10 round mags for 12 - 13 rounds, but that last one is hard to load. Then have a problem with over insertion of the mag on an open slide. Its a good idea, but needs a little more work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
I have the older taylor freelance extensions. At first I put them on the 8 round mags to get 10 rounds; yes can get the elephant foot mags to get 10 rounds but the 8 rounders + TF = a shorter mag than the elephant foot.
TF has a newer gen extension that is supposed to run better on the 8 round mags. Hoping to get those soon.
Tried the older one on 10 round mags for 12 - 13 rounds, but that last one is hard to load. Then have a problem with over insertion of the mag on an open slide. Its a good idea, but needs a little more work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnivPD, pm headed your way

1 - 13 of 13 Posts