HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I'm juggling many balls in the air right now...and one of them is getting my CCW permit in CA...which is not an easy task.

I'm doing some research into holsters for my HK45c, so I'll be ready when that time comes, and I've come across this minimal concept a couple of times - with the latest being from Raven Concealment (introduced at the Shot Show). I've never carried in my life...so I don't really know the nuances of carrying, and what I should or shouldn't look out for or be aware of. Check out the link below, with photo and video.

Raven Concealment intros the VanGuard2. | Military Times GearScout

So the question...for those that HAVE carried on this forum - what are your impressions, and the pros and cons you see in this holster piece. Is it a holster you'd recommend, looking just at the concept of it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
If you want a good discussion by those in the "know" check this link: RCS Vanguard2.

My personal opinion, the Vanguard 2 is not suitable for every day use, but may be suitable in certain niche situations. Once you unholster, you must then remove the holsters from the belt to reholster. That negates any type of training with the holster. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It's an interesting concept but not something that I would recommend to anyone for CCW let alone someone new to CCW.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The vanguard 2 is not a dedicated EDC holster. It is a product that as the others have said is a niche type product designed to fill a certain roll that few specific people need.

I would recommend getting a good quality leather and kydex holster and focus on the day to day lifestyle of carrying a gun. Over time you preferences may change and you might start experimenting with different options.

Also get good gear from the start. A good quality holster and a good quality belt will serve you well!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
The vanguard 2 is not a dedicated EDC holster. It is a product that as the others have said is a niche type product designed to fill a certain roll that few specific people need.

I would recommend getting a good quality leather and kydex holster and focus on the day to day lifestyle of carrying a gun. Over time you preferences may change and you might start experimenting with different options.

Also get good gear from the start. A good quality holster and a good quality belt will serve you well!
What he said. Occidental Leather makes some awesome leather holsters. In terms of kydex, Comp-Tac and Raven receive a favorable recommendation as well.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want a good discussion by those in the "know" check this link: RCS Vanguard2.
Thanks for the link GT..good read.

Nice to see Tom Fineis chime in to defend the product...not to mention Todd Green actually putting the holster through some paces, with subsequent review. Good points for and against - one being the need for re-holstering. Not sure where I stand on that, since I've never carried...but initial thoughts are that if I ever did have to draw the pistol - either I'm dead or someone else is. I don't think my concern would be how fast I could re-holster...but - I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks for the sound advice gents.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Garrett Industries Silent Thunders are all I use aside from a Meco pocket holster for the LCP.

Leather lined Kydex, very well made.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's good you're on the path to carrying, lots of folks figure it's too much of a bother. The security of yourself and your family are worth the bother. Just because you had to draw your frearm, doesn't mean someone got killed. A lot of times the introduction of a pistol changes things. I love Raven holsters, but the Vanguard is definitely made for a "niche" market. I think you should start with a good kydex holster to work with, and go from there. I have and use: Blade-Tech, Comp-Tac and Raven. For my HK45c I use a Comp-tac for my IDPA (CDP) holster. I use a Blade-Tech for my IWB needs, and I use a Raven Phantom LBH for my 45c with a TLR-3 attached, OWB. The advice I usually give newer pistoleros is this, Leather is great for EDC. It's not as good as Kydex to "work out of" at the range or a class.
If you want to start simple I would suggest a Blade-Tech IWB. They are well made, carry well, and hold their shape. From there you can think about putting an order in for a Raven or some nice leather. But you'll have a good starting point. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Thanks for the link GT..good read.

Nice to see Tom Fineis chime in to defend the product...not to mention Todd Green actually putting the holster through some paces, with subsequent review. Good points for and against - one being the need for re-holstering. Not sure where I stand on that, since I've never carried...but initial thoughts are that if I ever did have to draw the pistol - either I'm dead or someone else is. I don't think my concern would be how fast I could re-holster...but - I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks for the sound advice gents.
It is the administrative holstering that is of concern. Nobody is worried about reholstering during the "real deal." You would be surprised the number of times you unholster during a regular week of CCW.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Crossbreed Supertuck. Leather and kydex mix plus they have other models of holsters AND gun belts. Give em a look...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
2 basic questions/thoughts have to be processed.
1. Leather vs. Kydex.
Leather, generally bulkier, vastly more expensive if you get the "good stuff", but usually much more comfortable, and in my experience the better ones just get it right. They will also not mark up the gun as bad.
Kydex is cheaper, arguably more functional, less bulky, but will also mark up the gun more.
2. IWB vs. OWB. Personal preference based on comfort, functionality and concealability. I am an IWB kind of guy myself.

I also despise clips more than I can tell you. Kydex ones especially. I can't tell you how many I have tried, only I hated them all. Unless it has snap loops I will not even consider it now. The one exception it the metal clip used on he N82 holster. It stays put.

I assume you'll be using the HK45C? Right now I am using the Comp-Tac Infidel for that duty. I'm looking for a Milt Spark VMII for it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You'll start thinking differently once you begin to carry. Your clothing, for example, is likely to change somewhat. Consider what you wear on a regular basis - is it a heavy overcoat and blue jeans, or shorts and a t-shirt? Do your daily activities take you to places where carrying is prohibited? If yes, you may desire a holster that can easily come on and off. If you like OWB, are you willing to wear a cover garment (you're in California, right?). you'll pay more attention to the cut of the clothes you wear, along with the fabric. Some clothes "print" more than others. I always ask my wife if she can detect what/where I'm carrying when I am wearing new clothes. She has a hawk-eye- if it can fool her then I'm good. I would suggest going for quality, once you have answered these questions and thought it through. One thing, as others have said - get a good gunbelt. It's the foundation of your whole carry system, and a quality holster will wear like crap if it is strapped to your el cheapo dress belt from Wal-Mart.

For me - I've been using a Wilderness Instructor 5 stitch belt and I love it. Holster is a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe for my P2Ksk. TTgunleather just shipped my "Mike's Special" for my 45c. I can't wait to try it out.

Good luck!

Paddy

Edit: Got the Mike's Special and after wearing for one day I must say I'm very happy. Only took about maybe 6 to 8 weeks to get it. They will get more business from me in the future.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just bought a DM Bullard "Dual Carry" leather holster - it can be used either OWB or IWB, but I will be running it strictly IWB. Mine is still being broken in, but I can tell you that it's extremely well-made, high quality leather, strong clips, etc.

Bonus - there are quite a few in stock, so you can have one now! No waiting!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I regularly carry a USPc in an MTAC, and I recommend it. (Comp-Tac AND the holster) They have great turnaround, and great customer service.

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster
+1 for the MTAC

I daily carry a P7 in a Del Fatti, but since I picked up an MTAC holster for my 45c, I've carried it a few times. Conceals extremely well and is one comfortable rig. For my slim frame, 5' 11" 175lbs. it was comfortable right from the start with minimal break in time.

I'd give it a try...turn around time is quick, easy on the budget...not a major investment if it doesn't work for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Milt Sparks, Inside the Waist........HANDS DOWN ;):wink:

#VERSAMAX2

1 - 20 of 32 Posts