HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Wanted to say thanks to those participating in the forum. It has been an excellent resource for all HK products.

I recently made my first handgun purchase of an HK45C V1. After TONS of research and looking at general feedback in this forum, I decided to pick one up to be a "jack of all trades" pistol. Have about 500 rounds through it so far and it has been an absolute blast to shoot. Seems like a very well thought out design and I have been blown away by the quality thus far. I did have a question about the decocker though. When I engage the decocker, it only drops the hammer 3/4 of the way down. There is noticeably more slack on the trigger and it varies significantly from the standard DA pull. Is this a normal feature for this model? Any input would be appreciated!

-Collin

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,372 Posts
The weapon incorporates a safety mechanism called a catch which moves up and blocks the hammer's ability to engage the firing pin. This is what you see blocking the hammer's full forward movement.
When you pull the trigger all the way through for a shot, the trigger bar moves forward and pulls the catch out of position, dropping it down into a notch in the lower part of the hammer, so the weapon can fire. This ensures that the trigger must be pulled in order to fire.
Not asked, but worthy of mention, at the same time another safety mechanism is acutated. Just to the right of the catch is the control latch, which as the trigger bar pulls the catch down, lifts the control latch up, where it disengages the firing pin block in the slide (prevents the firing pin from striking the primer unless the trigger has been pulled).
Both of these parts serve to prevent slam fire and meet the drop safety test criteria.
If you remove the slide and then manipulate the hammer and trigger, you'll see this operation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Guess that I was under the assumption that using the decocker would "fully" reset the trigger to DA mode.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Guess that I was under the assumption that using the decocker would "fully" reset the trigger to DA mode.
It does. The trigger pull at that position is the DA trigger pull in its normal weight. Manually dropping the hammer replicates a scenario where the hammer fell and the primer did not detonate or the slide did not cycle fully. In either case the click in the next DA stroke (when the hammer moves behind the catch) essentially lets you know that something went wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts