HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do I need to put a flame suit on? I know these things are *LOVED*.

I'll -sort of- be the naysayer when it comes to putting the HK45C extended magazine release lever on the USP models.

It's hit or miss on the full size USP 9 and 40, which use polymer magazines, and also use a standard catch that has a wider tab.

Caveat being, I never had a single issue with the extended release on a Compact or Full size USP in .45, either with inadvertent mag drops, or mags dropping under recoil.

My own reasons being that I felt the magazine dropped a bit *too easily*. The magazine release lever spring for the Compact models is actually a bit stiffer (slightly longer) than the full size spring, and I think a better pairing for the extended release.

That being said, it does make mag drops effortless, but I never had an issue with dropping the mags using the standard release as it was. For me, I feel it's one of those things that you don't consider an issue, or even consider in general, until someone brings it up on a forum. Of course, on the flip side, there are also people who truly feel the standard USP release is too small for various reasons, and/or have had issues getting a positive purchase on it.

Secondly, if you look at the bottom of a USP trigger guard with the mag release off, there is a little 'shelf' recessed into it, where the front edge of the mag release fits in perfectly flush. The front edge of the extended HK45C mag release actually extends past this small recess, and therefore does not let the tab tilt into the mag notch as far as the standard lever does. You can also see this visually when inserting a mag, and observing how far the lever tilts down as the mag body slides against it, before locking the mag into place. You can also look down into the mag well with the slide locked back, and compare the amount of travel. (Having two pistols side by side, one with the standard lever and one with the extended lever, makes this comparison much easier.) I believe the standard catch has a more positive lock in this regard, as well as more pressure into the mag notch. Although, the front edge could be dremeled down between the sides of the mag release to allow it to sit completely flush/recessed.

Again, I never had a single problem in my own experience, but narrowing that tolerance window doesn't sit well with me.

Take it for what it's worth. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
First, let me say that I understand your position. I have no experience using this on a usp 9/40. I didnt even think of the problems related to the usp 9. I have one installed on my USP 45 Tactical, and I love it. In truth, it was not a nessessary upgrade. The USP got along just fine without it. I like to personalize my stuff and the hk45c mag release was one way of doing that. I think it is an improvement, but I respect your reasoning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts