HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just joined the forum yesterday.
I Finished installing the LEM conversion, thanks to Carrera's video on YouTube. More importantly, I just got back from the range and the gun appeared to function without any problems. During the install, I felt I was in over my head. :)
Couple of questions, if I might:
1. When I shoot the last round in the magazine and the slide locks back, the trigger stays in the fully depressed position until I release the slide. Is this normal for the LEM?
2. The trigger pull for the LEM is, for me, too easy until you get the trigger all the way back to shoot. Is there any kind of spring change I can make that will make the trigger pull harder until I shoot? I would want the actual trigger release to have the same pull as currently exists.

Thanks for your help and I'm glad to be a member of the forum.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It sounds like you just installed the LEM kit and didn't change the trigger return spring (TRS). There are many discussions on the TRS if you search, and it can be infuriatingly difficult to do so. Lots of tips, tricks and experience here- welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't say just installed the LEM kit. :) It took me 2 nerve-racking hours!
So you're saying the TRS install is a required part of this? Thanks for your help; I'll do a search.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The TRS is one of three springs that control the pull weight. They can be difficult to change, but it is not a "required" modification.

If you changed yours from a factory V1, then you have the "medium" weight TRS. Most of us who have been carrying LEM-equipped pistols for a while prefer this, along with the "light" firing pin block spring. Both of these springs come standard in the V1 action, so all you have to do is change the hammer spring and axle/sear complete parts to make a V1 into a "medium" LEM.

Some folks are enamored of the so-called "light" LEM, which involves the light TRS. Personally, I found that this is unsatisfactory for my needs, as the trigger release is actually TOO light for safety, plus it usually produces mushy trigger return... which can affect your ability to shoot multiple round strings.

Sounds to me like you have the right set-up. If you install a "heavy" TRS, it will indeed make that take-up slack firmer... and it will also dramatically increse the pull weight necessary to trip the sear. I don't think you want to do that.

This take-up, slack, whatever you want to call it, is what confuses folks about the LEM. It is there for ONE purpose... as a fudge factor for those who cannot- or will not- keep their finger off the trigger until time to shoot. It really has no part of the actual trigger pull... that being defined as the action necessary to drop the hammer and fire the gun. It was designed to be used as take-up, much like a two-stage rifle trigger.

As always, opinions vary... someone here may not agree with all of that. Makes no difference to me; I've been carrying and shooting LEM-equipped HKs for seven years, and this is my read on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Based on the search I did on TRS and the difficulty people have had installing the spring, I wouldn't want to make the swap unless I had to.

Shooting with the LEM is going to take some practice and familiarization. The general action of the moving parts seems "looser" somehow. All the take up slack on the trigger, the hammer seems to have a lot of play, i.e., not spring restrained when the trigger is back toward the end of travel and the trigger remaining fully depressed after the last round in the magazine is fired and the slide locked back is really disconcerting.

On the plus side, besides the short trigger reset, the LEM install eliminated a bit of creep in the single action trigger release of the V1. The sear trip is now about as perfect as it could be.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi. I just joined the forum yesterday.
I Finished installing the LEM conversion, thanks to Carrera's video on YouTube. More importantly, I just got back from the range and the gun appeared to function without any problems. During the install, I felt I was in over my head. :)
Couple of questions, if I might:
1. When I shoot the last round in the magazine and the slide locks back, the trigger stays in the fully depressed position until I release the slide. Is this normal for the LEM?
This is normal.

2. The trigger pull for the LEM is, for me, too easy until you get the trigger all the way back to shoot. Is there any kind of spring change I can make that will make the trigger pull harder until I shoot? I would want the actual trigger release to have the same pull as currently exists.

Thanks for your help and I'm glad to be a member of the forum.
Changing out the TRS is optional. I have the heavier TRS in my 45c and like the feel of it better than the light. Too me it feels more solid and if the gun seems "loose" to you, you might like it as well. Give it a try, it's too cheep not to. It does however add to the the weight to the break, but it's all relative.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have about 1000 rounds through the gun as the V1 version. Occasionally I had a problem with the trigger reset not working to bring the trigger back to rest position. This always occurred right after cleaning the gun, usually in DA mode, after putting a drop of oil on the TRS. Seems counterintuitive. After dry firing about 20 times the problem would not occur until next cleaning. Installation of the LEM seems to have made the problem a little worse in DA mode. Is this a common problem? Would putting the stronger TRS in fix the problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts