HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search function for "HK45c Bug Out Bag" but alot of threads about "SHTF HK's" came up. But this is specifically for the HK45c owners (not being a d*** and excluding others, it's just that the HK45c is the only HK I own)... Anyway, for your HK45c owners that plan on stuffing your HK45c in a bug out bag I want to know how do you have it setup. Like the whole setup, mags, WML's, a holster, even the kind of bag you're using and I know it isn't HK related but you can throw in what kind of knife and flashlight you're taking too.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
I don't keep a bug out bag for my sidearm since one of my HK45c's is always with me. I keep spare 10-round magazines in my car, in a number that I consider to be "enough." I have multiple HK45's, so no immediate concerns for parts. The only thing I'm ever lacking is stored ammo, since I shoot three days a week. Ammo is a commodity around the house. Always in need.

Oh, and all of my HK45's are V1's (had to throw that out there). :wink:

BTW, I am not a prepper. If SHTF tomorrow, I'd starve rather quickly. :8:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not too much of a prepper either. I believe if the SHTF so bad that Gov't aid can't get to you within a week or two then you're prob screwed anyway. I don't prep for solar flares, or WW3, or nuclear fallout... No offense to those that do but if the world is so bad that you need 50,000 pounds of food and 10,000 rounds of ammo then that prob means the world went to sh*t and no one will survive. BUT I do prep for Katrina type or 9/11 type situations... Like if something happens here and I need to get out of town quick to a safer neighboring area.

My guns are always in my safe, I don't keep a HK45c in my BOB either because just like you mine is always on my side. If something happens in my town that will force me to evacute to a safer place then I'm probably just going to keep the one on my side, on my side and stuff my bag with the stuff I need.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm no prepper (my son and I enjoy the show on Nat Geo though). :wink:

You might want to have 8- 10 loaded mags, another 200 rds. of .45 ammo, two good flashlights, two good knives, water and some candy bars in your bag.

And the big thing, IMO, is to have a top quality AR with plenty of mags/ammo.

(You ask some very good questions in your posts Darebear, makes for good discussion.)

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
I have my HK45c on me, with an 8 rounder in the gun, and a 10 rounder on standby.

My Bug out bag, has my HK45 w/tlr-1s and about 5 or 6 mags. With other odds and ends in it. But I carry that bag almost everywhere. So.....I hope no one stops me and thinks I am crazy.........nah it isn't that much, only when I am going to be away from home for a while. So I have two pistols on hand. Works out for me, and if I have someone that can shoot with me, they get one, and I get one. Works out. But that again, is only for an extreme case. A Rifle is always better, with lots of ammo, like pistol shooter was saying.

As far as Prepping goes. I feel it is something everyone should do. But call it being ready. Prepping is a new name for what American's used to do in the 1950's. Called being prepared. And there is nothing wrong with it. I feel everyone should have stuff on hand to last them. Guns, bullets, food, water, movable shelter, batteries, flashlights, and other stuff. There is nothing wrong with that.

That whole social sub group, that secretly wants the world to end so they can use their "preps," smell like sh*t all day, shoot their neighbors in an imagined race war, and dream about Book of Eli. Those are the ones you have to worry about. Nothing wrong with being prepared at all. I Strongly encourage it. But doomsday lovers and crap like that is nuts. 90% of them don't know how to, or use that equipment properly. Like the MOPP suits, or milspec stuff like that. It is funny for me to watch.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Maxpedition

I don't have a bob per say, but I do carry a maxpedition backpack everywhere, work , gym , on the bike, inside Velcro holder for my 45c w Viridian c5l, 8 round flat , 2 elephant foots, hk kneck knife , underwater kinetics flashlight(free) , tums, gum, Advil, pen, pencil , sharpie, notepad, also can hold hydration pack, know one knows what is inside , just a backpack

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm no prepper (my son and I enjoy the show on Nat Geo though). :wink:

You might want to have 8- 10 loaded mags, another 200 rds. of .45 ammo,
That's gonna be mighty heavy.

And the big thing, IMO, is to have a top quality AR with plenty of mags/ammo.
Just brought my first AR15 2 weeks ago. Bushmaster M4A3 Patrolman Carbine... The AR crowd says it's junk but I like it. Got 6 Pmags with it so far.

(You ask some very good questions in your posts Darebear, makes for good discussion.)
Thank you, I really appreciate that. You guys give some awesome advice, answers and feedback... this is by far my most favorite forum.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a bob per say, but I do carry a maxpedition backpack everywhere, work , gym , on the bike, inside Velcro holder for my 45c w Viridian c5l, 8 round flat , 2 elephant foots, hk kneck knife , underwater kinetics flashlight(free) , tums, gum, Advil, pen, pencil , sharpie, notepad, also can hold hydration pack, know one knows what is inside , just a backpack
Which maxpeditiion do you have? I keep telling myself I'm going to buy one but I keep buying stuff for my new AR.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Which maxpeditiion do you have? I keep telling myself I'm going to buy one but I keep buying stuff for my new AR.
Condor-II, w two extra pouches and flashlight holder , inside gun and two mag holder,optics planet getting when they have coupon and free shipping, cheap I know but I need all my money for bike parts and hk's

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have the maxpedition jumbo l.e.o., and have everything in there from matches, first aid, 6 loaded mags (4-10, and 2-8)...to even copies of important docs sealed in ziploc, and a couple ounces of silver! ;)

Not to mention the inside pouch to hold either the HK45 or HK45c. More then likely if I have to resort to buggin out, I'll have the 45c IWB, and the hk45 in the bag.

+1 to great discussion threads Darebear...you're on FIRE! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I carry my HK45C on my hip. In a Bug Out situation, my other HK, the HK91, will come along with me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
... That whole social sub group, that secretly wants the world to end so they can use their "preps," smell like sh*t all day, shoot their neighbors in an imagined race war, and dream about Book of Eli..
For me, the disconnect is how 99% of their effort is spent researching and buying "stuff" rather than learning useful skills. It's far more manly and impressive to discuss guns, bulletproof vests, and gas masks(!) than it is to learn how to grow plants, purify water, and perform first aid... you know, farm. After they run out of food, I can't help but think that they'll use their guns to start taking food from farmers. At that point, who's the "zombie..."

[edit] The other disconnect is how these same people who talk about the Brave New World also maintain a poor lifestyle, overweight, smoking, no exercise... They're planning for something that realistically has about a 0.01% chance of happening, while maintaing a lifestyle that has about a 90% of killing them.

/Rant over.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
[edit] The other disconnect is how these same people who talk about the Brave New World also maintain a poor lifestyle, overweight, smoking, no exercise... They're planning for something that realistically has about a 0.01% chance of happening, while maintaing a lifestyle that has about a 90% of killing them.

/Rant over.
We all die...I've seen vegetarian marathon runners drop dead in their early 30's and life long smokers live to their late 80's. What is the "preferred" lifestyle?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Since i had to sell my 3 HK45c's and don't own one now. Even tho i think there HK's best offering. I'm not a prepper either but i went thru the Clinton ban year's so i buy a few mag's as i go along. Plus the ammo shortage before the election it was very hard to find. I now plan to stock up on ammo and mag.'s all nothing to do with a Book of Eli event's i'll be long gone :wink:.

Plus i'm like gt i'll starve quickly. But to add i think a .22 rifle and handgun could prove in-valuable...BTW, i carry a USPc 9mm so Dare if this does not qualify let me know and i will delete it...but if i could some on the forum know one of my HK45c's would be on my hip. Not because a .45 is better than a 9mm i just liked my HK45c's alot!

I planned awhile back to only have 9's and .45's but life changed that decision to 9mm's. Using this pic. below as my EDC take's the sting out of not having my .45's anymore. I like the stainless HK's! Plus my P30s's when i get one more in on order i will carry one,

By deehkman at 2011-10-04

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plus i'm like gt i'll starve quickly. But to add i think a .22 rifle and handgun could prove in-valuable...BTW, i carry a USPc 9mm so Dare if this does not qualify let me know and i will delete it...but if i could some on the forum know one of my HK45c's would be on my hip. Not because a .45 is better than a 9mm i just liked my HK45c's alot!

Lol, no. DeehkMan your input is always appreciated and being a current HK45c owner you are def allowed to share your wisdom in this thread...

But I can not find a 9mm that I like better than the HK45c, I feel the same exact way you do... It's not the .45 caliber, it's the firearm itself. Honestly if HK would make a HK45c but in a 9mm caliber then I'd own one, I know the P2000 is that but I'm talking about a 9mm with the option of threaded barrel, Heinie sights, O-ring on the barrel and front cut serrations and a Hk45c mag release and with a short grip like the HK45c for easier concealment. I'd sell both of my HK45c's to buy one of those. But we have to take what the gracious HK gives us because we suck and HK hates us right? Lol... I just found out what that means yesterday.

One of these days I'll settle on a USP9mm or go get that Walther PPQ but even those are no where to be found.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Just brought my first AR15 2 weeks ago. Bushmaster M4A3 Patrolman Carbine... The AR crowd says it's junk but I like it. Got 6 Pmags with it so far.
That's because you're not one of the AR-15.com "warrior caste"... a hardy bunch of nimrods, most of whom really have no clue what to do with their properly set-up "Tier One" rifles/carbines, but they can parrot the latest cogniscenti-speak verbatim.

I have a pre-Cerebus Bushie, just like yours (Patrolman's Carbine). When new, it had extraction issues, but an O-ring fixed that. It has been through several classes of 3-400 rounds + per day, and has never puked since that initial time, in well over 5K rounds by now. Most of the clowns I mentioned earlier insist that one must have the latest/greatest iterations of whatever. If I was going to war, I'd agree. I'm not, and I suspect you're not either. Although I've heard a few grumbles regarding post-Cerebus QC issues, IMO Bushmasters are just fine; both for entry-level users and experienced guys who don't want to pay through the nose for designer guns that, true enough, are top shelf. But all you really need is a dependable carbine/rifle.

I have a couple of Colts laid back for The Revolution, but the Bushie is with me every day.

To answer your question... I have a small Fatboy that I keep in the vehicle, with extra HK45C magazines (three 8 rounders, one elephant foot), and the other assorted stuff you mentioned. SureFire A2 and Inova X5 for light, Spyderco Military, extra batteries, extra spectacles, minor first aid, etc. A larger "war bag" back pack holds more of the same, along with a water bladder.

Personally, I'm all about "bugging in". Having witnessed, first hand, the utter chaos and pandemonium that the roads are in any emergency, the best place to be is NOT on them. However, I understand that in a few scenarios I may have no choice; but the stuff I carry is mainly to get me back to my house, should I be caught in town, etc., when the flag goes up.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's because you're not one of the AR-15.com "warrior caste"... a hardy bunch of nimrods, most of whom really have no clue what to do with their properly set-up "Tier One" rifles/carbines, but they can parrot the latest cogniscenti-speak verbatim.

I have a pre-Cerebus Bushie, just like yours (Patrolman's Carbine). When new, it had extraction issues, but an O-ring fixed that. It has been through several classes of 3-400 rounds + per day, and has never puked since that initial time, in well over 5K rounds by now. Most of the clowns I mentioned earlier insist that one must have the latest/greatest iterations of whatever. If I was going to war, I'd agree. I'm not, and I suspect you're not either. Although I've heard a few grumbles regarding post-Cerebus QC issues, IMO Bushmasters are just fine; both for entry-level users and experienced guys who don't want to pay through the nose for designer guns that, true enough, are top shelf. But all you really need is a dependable carbine/rifle.

I have a couple of Colts laid back for The Revolution, but the Bushie is with me every day.

To answer your question... I have a small Fatboy that I keep in the vehicle, with extra HK45C magazines (three 8 rounders, one elephant foot), and the other assorted stuff you mentioned. SureFire A2 and Inova X5 for light, Spyderco Military, extra batteries, extra spectacles, minor first aid, etc. A larger "war bag" back pack holds more of the same, along with a water bladder.

Personally, I'm all about "bugging in". Having witnessed, first hand, the utter chaos and pandemonium that the roads are in any emergency, the best place to be is NOT on them. However, I understand that in a few scenarios I may have no choice; but the stuff I carry is mainly to get me back to my house, should I be caught in town, etc., when the flag goes up.

You should have seen the response I was getting over on Glocktalk. People were asking the mod's to delete my thread, they told me to stop trolling, telling me I brought a POS rifle, insulting me... and all I asked for was some help getting accesories. I thought the 1911 and Glock fanatics were bad until I met the AR crowd. Or no excuse me... the "Black Rifle" crowd. Just talking about how I got treated kind of pisses me off. In all honesty that's why I choose HK's, not only is it a world class, battle proven weapon but the HK community is alot better than some of the other communities. Unfortunately I can't afford a MR556 so I'll have to continue to surf other forums for AR15 help when I need it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
In all honesty that's why I choose HK's, not only is it a world class, battle proven weapon but the HK community is alot better than some of the other communities.
That ^ all the way!

I too carry a .45 even though I own 9mm's. (Both HK's.) I have had plenty of people go down the "9mm is more plentiful should SHTF" and, "You can carry more ammo, etc." However, the fact is that my first pistol I ever bought as soon as I turned 21 was an HK USP 45. That being said, I am simply more comfortable shooting it and have the most trigger with .45's. I have always been under the impression that you carry what you can use well. Since I have the most experience with that round/pistol, that is what I choose to go with. It aint easy on the wallet, but it just feels right. I still love my 9mm's and shoot them well but it is a .45 for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
For me, the disconnect is how 99% of their effort is spent researching and buying "stuff" rather than learning useful skills. It's far more manly and impressive to discuss guns, bulletproof vests, and gas masks(!) than it is to learn how to grow plants, purify water, and perform first aid... you know, farm. After they run out of food, I can't help but think that they'll use their guns to start taking food from farmers. At that point, who's the "zombie..."

/Rant over.
You hit that nail on the head. The sh*t on shows like the colony, which people feel 8 different kinds of ways about it. But it gave a small insight into what you would need to live, and how stupid hard it is. It also gave outlines on how to make basic survival equipment. But no, it is better to stock up and hope that you will be fine. Not saying stocking up is bad, but training and equipment go hand and hand. You can't have too much training, and you can't have too many supplies. But you have to know how to use them. Otherwise they are useless.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts