·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BLUF: Can the safety lever be
removed from the pistol and a
different axle used or the
lever ground off?

The reason is because my love handle pushes the top of my Crossbreed holster out enough to catch the lever as I holster the weapon.

I would be happy to lower the hammer, by thumb, to decock.

And no, losing weight is not an option ;-)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'd get a better (or better for you) holster. You might also try shifting the position of the rig on your body. I carry a 45c myself, and use a Milt Sparks VMII. I also have love handles. I have no issues.

I would NOT try to remove the decocker and then lower it by thumb. Even with the half-cock, that to me is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd get a better (or better for you) holster.
Very delicately put!...I have no problems with the holster when carrying the P2K because it's a V3...Slides right in. I'm sure I'm going to have the same problem with any holster of the same type, which is the type that I like.

Honestly, it a small problem as it only hampers re-holstering but it just bites to deal with since I really love the HK45c.

Maybe it is diet time...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TooSixy,

I just can't do LEM. I am one of those die hard DA/SA guys, especially with this pistol. The SA is awesome!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
BLUF: Can the safety lever be removed from the pistol and a different axle used?
Can this physically be accomplished by installing the LEM hammer axle? Yes
Would I in good conscience advise someone to do so? No
Do I think it would lead to a potentially unsafe situation? Yes

Some will say that it would be the same as a revolver and technically they'd be correct but the frequency that you would be decocking would be far greater than with a revolver. Remember that a revolver isn't cocked to SA every time you load it and after every shot. The more often you decock this way the greater the chance for you to do it incorrectly and have an AD. If you do decide to go this route make sure you know how to properly decock a pistol using this method. You probably do and it seems simple but it's amazing how many students I see or people I shoot with that keep their finger on the trigger while lowering the hammer. Your safety procedures are your own personal decision. Hopefully some thought goes into it when making this one.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How 'bout changing to a right-side control lever?
Fatmat27,

Hadn't though about that. That would be the second option.

Brownie,

That's what I wanted to hear. That drives the question of what all I would need to order/change to accomplish it. Would it be as easy as the axle only or would I have to change to a different detent plate...

I have thought long and hard about doing a manual decock when necessary. Im thinking the only time I would have to decock would be when leaving the range and after cleaning it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I too have to say LEM is gonna be your answer.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Fatmat27,

Hadn't though about that. That would be the second option.

Brownie,

That's what I wanted to hear. That drives the question of what all I would need to order/change to accomplish it. Would it be as easy as the axle only or would I have to change to a different detent plate...

I have thought long and hard about doing a manual decock when necessary. Im thinking the only time I would have to decock would be when leaving the range and after cleaning it.
Or after loading..........Detent controls the range of movement of the control lever. No lever = no need for detent (or 42 slide plate or 43 compression spring). While what you propose is physically possible I strongly urge you to consider an alternate resolution. As others have stated LEM is a safer and viable option. It would be my suggestion that you pursue it, the V2 lever that fatmat suggested, leave it as is and deal or pursue the most health conscious option (which I am currently working on) and lose the offending pounds. Any other course of action I would consider reckless and irresponsible. I'm sure I'm not alone.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brownie,

I am far from a final decision. I have 60 rounds through the gun so far, and have many more to go before it become a full time carry gun.

As of now, I'm leaning towards the right side lever or a reshaping of the left side lever. This tiny problem will only become large when I start doing 2-4 shot strings from the holster. Maybe with practice, it'll become second nature to holster with the lever.

We'll see...Thank You to all for the great advise!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bentonville,

I've shot a LEM. My buddy's SK, 9mm. I don't know if it was light LEM or not but I didn't care for it. Sadly, he PCS'd so I only got to shoot it for one day.

Rhino,

The pistol looks smooth without the levers. I wish they had a true V3 with the rear slide decocker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts