HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently picked up my 5th 45c and my first pistol with the Straight Eight sights. Took it out today, and in order to hit POA/POI I had to line the bottom of the front sight up with the top of the rear notch.

Like this:

With the top of the front sight aligned with the top of the rear notch (standard sight picture) I was inches low.

This was all around 10 yards.

I passed the gun around the range and it wasn't just me. Is this usual?

Comments?

·
Registered
234 Posts
There are two Straight 8s. Are you sure that gun didn't have the ones designed for silencers? That's the only thing I can think of. The ones for silencers have a taller front blade, which makes sense since you had to line up the bottom of the front sight to get it to hit POA/POI (because you're positioning the muzzle higher by doing so).

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That crossed my mind, but I *think* that these are the standard size sights.

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The front is definitely taller than a normal front, but I don't think that it is as tall as the tactical version would be

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Googled around and I'm quite sure that the tactical sights are MUCH taller than these

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have already emailed Heinie, but I figured that I'd throw this up here for discussion

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Possible, but unlikely. I trust the source, and it sure looks like every other Heinie front that I can find a pic of on google

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes.

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Me to. It certainly shoots straight when you line it up this way (single ragged holes), but it is a bit of a humdinger.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
It looks like you might need a shorter front sight. Could it be that someone swapped out the rear sight to a shorter one? I am not sure if the rear sight for the standard Heinie and tactical Heinie are different, but could that be the reason?

ETA: Looking at both your pics and the one with tactical sight, it does appear that your rear sight sits lower.

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well sure it could have been, but again I think it unlikely.

As best as I can tell the tactical rear Heinie is taller than the standard. But that is only going by images (look at the one I posted over on the other page - looks taller to me)

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Can you look at the bottom of the front sight and see if there is a gap between it and the slide? If there is, is it a big gap?

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Nope, no gap that I can see. The installation appears to be pretty perfect all the way around.

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FWIW the guy who I bought the gun from just sent me the receipt for the sights and install - all done by Heinie in April of this year. Model Code #3950P-Q which is the standard height set.

Glad that my hunch was right - that guy is good to go!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
have you tried the normal sight picture and placed the top dot covering the point of impact, not the top of the front sight?

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You mean number 3?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts