HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For CQB, is the HK53 effective enough? It seems that the 5.56 would trump the MP5 9mm, especially for armor penetration. But man, the HK53 is so loud. I love shooting my MP5 much more, but the 53 is sexy. But I can shoot an entire mag of 115gr thru my MP5 with no ear pro. My HK53 isn't that forgiving.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,224 Posts
You also don't want to be the number one man in the stack when the number two man is armed with a HK53 and firing over your shoulder.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankfully I am not in LE. I was considering a mini uzi for backback/5.11 sling pack, but now am leaning toward the HK53. I suppose FA isn't a requirement, but it would be nice to have it, if needed.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,224 Posts
Thankfully I am not in LE. I was considering a mini uzi for backback/5.11 sling pack, but now am leaning toward the HK53. I suppose FA isn't a requirement, but it would be nice to have it, if needed.
FA is always nice to have, especially in such a smooth and easy to control weapon like the HK53.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I didn't realize this was a "ccw my machine gun" thread.

It's good to put things like that in the first post.

And now my recommendation, you should move to a first world country. It's nice to wake up and not need FA.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've had a 53 set up as my bedroom go to gun for the last 5 years and given the short ranges, consider it a very good solution. However, I would not run it in my home without a suppressor - just too much flash and bang. I recently decided to move to a BREN 805 because of some ergos and slightly better reliability. While I have a sear I've never set up an HD gun with select fire. Don't need it and based on my experiments when training, I can get more and better hits using good old semi for any round beyond 9mm (which I believe has greater penetration than 223 at short range).

As for a backpack gun, I'd be thinking light weight, something the 53 is not. Matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's certainly effective enough, but there are better 5.56mm CQB weapons available. The MK18 is a better weapon. The MP5 is great if you want to use 9mm, which itself is plenty effective against unarmored people. One just doesn't always know what they're getting into.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
I didn't realize this was a "ccw my machine gun" thread.

It's good to put things like that in the first post.

And now my recommendation, you should move to a first world country. It's nice to wake up and not need FA.
Point me to one where nobody died from violent crime in the last year and I'll consider moving there. Otherwise, I'm staying in Texas. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Pistol caliber for CQB, especially with unknown collaterals!!! :biggrin:

Tony
9mm, especially out of a carbine, will still blow through multiple drywall walls without really slowing down much. It will still kill someone.

Carnik Con showed this in their hilarious (like all their videos) P90 video, comapring the 5.7x28 out of a P90 and 9mm out of an MP5 for wall penetration. He does the comparison right around the 4 minute mark. Man, I miss that channel. God speed, Dugan Ashley.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Everybody thinks short AR's are so great until the shoot one indoors, or inside a vehicle.

The 53 has to be every bit as terrible, but I love mine (outdoors). ;-)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
9mm, especially out of a carbine, will still blow through multiple drywall walls without really slowing down much. It will still kill someone.

Carnik Con showed this in their hilarious (like all their videos) P90 video, comapring the 5.7x28 out of a P90 and 9mm out of an MP5 for wall penetration. He does the comparison right around the 4 minute mark. Man, I miss that channel. God speed, Ashley Doogan.

How have I not seen this guy before now. Does the 'God speed' mean he died?

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
How have I not seen this guy before now. Does the 'God speed' mean he died?
He's still alive, as far as I know, but he stopped making videos, after he was diagnosed with MS in 2014.

His channel was amazing. The LMG video was perhaps one of the best YouTube gun videos out there and the MP5SD one was simply superb.

·
Registered
640 Posts
He's still alive, as far as I know, but he stopped making videos, after he was diagnosed with MS in 2014.

His channel was amazing. The LMG video was perhaps one of the best YouTube gun videos out there and the MP5SD one was simply superb.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering why he hasn't made any videos in a while. I love his stuff

To keep it HK related here is his MP5 SD video

1 - 20 of 24 Posts