HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Hk91 SA(as opposed to the G3 kit) conversion kit from a member here(sorry can't remember who)

Took it to the range sunday, worked perfectly.

As I was shooting the 91 in 308 a young boy(guessing 10 years old) asked me if it kicked much, i said for what it was no not really. Turns out the young boys dad had forgot to bring the key for the gun lock on his 10/22. So I ask the young boy if he wanted to shoot the 91 with the 22 kit installed(if OK with his dad).......he said YES!

So I load up the 2 mags, get the boy set up at the bench. He shot one round and turned around with the BIGGEST smile on his face, he LOVED it. I told him to keep shootin and I would keep loading the mags.......he ran 80 rds thru it. his dad was taking pics. The boy said that he had never had some much fun shooting before and I beleive him :)

It was worth the $ I spent on the kit for just that one time shootin :)

The 22 kit is a blast even for a big kid like me, it shoots great, worked flawlessly, accurate, easy to install(less than a minute) and just a heck of alot of fun.

I used an old 22 scope and mounted it in a spare HK claw mount, this way I could change back and forth without messing with resighting the irons or optics. Think I will get spare rear sight and do the same(have 22 and 308 irons)

FYI, it fed any of the cheap ammo I fed it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
That is a great story. That young man will probably remember that experience for life. Thanks for your generosity as it will help the next generation along in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again that is the best accessory HK has made for that rifle.

Tons of fun.

:D

·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did try the 22 kit in my JLD91 and it wouldn't work, something was keeping the carrier from going back forward, I thought it was the trigger pack, but I tried a few real HK lowers/packs and had the same problem, not sure what was holding it up.

·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the young man's dad had just let the boy shoot his Masin Nagant(sp) so he was a bit leary about the 308......seems he didn't enjoy the kick of the 7.62x54R(I think thats it)

Maybe he wanted the boy to grow up w/ a shoulder. LOL

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Sweet video! Thanks for sharing.

And a big thank you to Landpimp for sharing the Hk .22 experience with that kid. Great way to generate excitement for the shooting sport!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've used my .22 conversion unit in my 93 quite a bit and enjoy it. I only wish it would work with the PSG-1 trigger pac. it only works with the standard pac.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I did try the 22 kit in my JLD91 and it wouldn't work, something was keeping the carrier from going back forward, I thought it was the trigger pack, but I tried a few real HK lowers/packs and had the same problem, not sure what was holding it up.
I find with my PTR91 that I pretty much have to look down into the ejection port while very slowly retracting the cocking handle. As soon as the bolt face clears the case head on the first round in the magazine, I let the handle go to chamber the round. It works flawlessly from then on.

Someone on this board suggested a 2" piece of radiator hose or the like over the mainspring so that we don't retract the handle so far that it catches on the nose of the hammer.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
don't retract the handle so far that it catches on the nose of the hammer.
I'm just lazy lately, but would a retimed hammer cure the problem? They lay a bit lower in the pack. I've got a G-3 and a 91 and a G-3 22 kit (without the extension) ... just too lazy after coming back from vacation.....:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts