HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi... respectfully asking for a little help/advice.. as most my rifle experience is with the AR platform
I am considering getting an HK93 (the one in pix), and the gentleman offering this seems to be honest . I also have a chance to get a 91 for about the same price, and I'm trying to decide which one, as I can only get one.
One of the reasons I'm leaning toward the 93 over the 91 is that I'm recovering from surgery (8 weeks post) and my sternum is wired.. and just the thought of shooting the 91 (.308 ), if it's the same recoil as my Galil .308, is painful at this time. I've started to shoot my AR's, so I know I can shoot the 93 without too much discomfort.
Would you (experienced in both 91/93) pick one over the other? If so, what reasoning would that be? If the 91 is a much better deal, I'll heal and enjoy it 6 mos from now, so the recoil issue won't be an issue soon, and is not the only thing driving the decision.
Thanks in advance for any help
V/R
Mick

·
Registered
24 Posts
With a compensator (PWS FSC91) and heavy buffer you can tame the recoil of HK91 down to very comfortable levels so don't let that deter you if what you really want is the 308.

EDIT: Then again, I probably wouldn't want to make those mods to a factory HK, even though both are easy to make and you can return to the original configuration.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I've had both. My HK 51 is basically a converted HK 91 and my HK 53 was made from an HK 83. The HK91 is much cheaper to shoot when it comes to ammo cost. Depending on the price, the HK 93 may be the better deal. They use to demand more money than the HK 91. Neither are cheap today.

Sean

·
Registered
197 Posts
Get the 93 first, it will always be worth more and the recoil will always be less than the 91 regardless of what kind of buffer/muzzle break you use.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would get the HK 93 now because currently nobody makes a quality aftermarket clone of the
HK 93.
If you still want a .308 gun later get a PTR. It is a well made clone and a much
cheaper price than a factory HK91.
Gerald

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would get the HK 93 now because currently nobody makes a quality aftermarket clone of the
HK 93.
If you still want a .308 gun later get a PTR. It is a well made clone and a much
cheaper price than a factory HK91.
Gerald
I'm not sure I can legally own a PTR.. Are any of the clones PreBan (9/94) ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.
From the picture, to me.. this one looks pretty mint. To those with the experience, does this look like a shooter, or a collector? And is there a huge differential in value between a shooter in good condition, and a collector quality piece?

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
I'm not sure I can legally own a PTR.. Are any of the clones PreBan (9/94) ?
The only "clone" prebans are early FMP and SpringField SAR rifles. There are no .223/5.56 preban clone types that I'm aware of.

I also vote for the 93.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks again everyone... I'm going to get the 93... appreciate all the knowledge transfer.
Hey, one quick question... Are these made to handle 5.56 Nato, or just .223? I did a local search here on HKP, and found some say that the twist rate will not support green tip 62 gr, so 55 grain .223 is the correct ammo.... and others say they shoot 5.56 Nato just fine. I'm going to stick with 55 gr .223 as per the docs on the rifle I found on google.... Unless there is some expertise that says differnt? Thanks
-Mick

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
Early HK93 rifles have the 1:12 twist rate. Later models (barrel marked "178") have 1:7 twist barrels. With the early HK93s, stick with 55gr ammo.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Get both. It is rare that one gets the opportunity to buy both from one seller in nice condition. If you already have a Galil 308, then I would bet you good taste in weapons. I hope you have a speedy recovery and are back out there in no time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get both. It is rare that one gets the opportunity to both from one seller in nice condition. If you already have a Galil 308, then I would bet you good taste in weapons. I hope you have a speedy recovery and are back out there in no time.
Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm out shooting pistol now... not rifle or shotgun. I was told it might be another couple of months before shotgun... rifle .223 shot last week..5.56 I'm going to try in the next week or so. not expecting a problem... not .308 though Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Start with the 93. I have both a 91 and a 93. Then I have several clones HK33K clone and a HK33 SG1 clone.

·
Registered
34,527 Posts
Mick,

Hoping for a full and quick recovery--- since both are the same price, stay with the HK93 (generally, > value)!!!

Tony

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Go 93. It was my first "black" rifle, and I have come home after 30 years. I have had PSG1s, G3s, and 21s, but the 5.56 platform is "just right".

Enjoy whichever you decide on, heal up.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I agree with all the other posts. Get the 93 first, it is quite a rare rifle, not too many imported. I had mine out at the range two weeks ago after placing an ACOG on it, nice shooting rifle. I only put around 80 rounds through it, no problems or jams, just hard on brass. You won't regret the 93.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I have not heard you say what you want to do with it. If all you want to do is shoot paper, and perhaps have something usable for self defense, a 93 might work, but bearing in mind the limitations forced by the slow twist, you'll probably not be shooting anything heavier than 55 grains.

I shoot a lot of ammo heavier than 55 grains. I might, just for the heck of it, hunt deer with my roller locks. I could afford a HK93, but got a C93 because the barrel rifling twist was a lot faster, capable of stabilizing a 60gr Nosler Partition. I also did not feel bad putting G3 wood furniture on it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The 93 has the right size, balance. The 91 is front heavy unless you go with a G3K set up but it's still a little piglet. I like the 91's myself though- especially grabbing the first bench available on the left side of the range and raining brass down on the bolt action crowd.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts