HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's come to this. I sent my Hk91 to Jeff and the barrel's shot, gone, history, game over. The next and most logical step is doing a G3k conversion which Jeff and I have already spoke about. Got it....now I'm committed. I'm in the process of collecting parts and the only true dilemma I have is the barrel.

I hear nothing but great things about RCM barrels...and most likely the cheapest route to go to complete the conversion. But it's not an original German barrel and that eats at my side. I can't decide wether or not to pull the trigger on the RCM or go on a search for a true Hk91 barrel and cut it down to 12.5" and pin the extended FH on until I go the SBR route. I don't care about resell or value, I'm more interested in the purity of the rifle.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. What would you do if you were in my situation? If you've crossed this same bridge, what route did you go? If I decide to go the true german Hk barrel, is IGF the most recommended smith to cut and thread the barrel and what are their lead times and costs for doing so?

I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Have not cross the same bridge .... yet. Also you need to factor in is that the G3K barrels are 1 in 10 inch twist while the G3 / HK91 barrels are 1 in 12 twist, thus the faster twist might be better for the 175gr M118LR and/or with a suppressor ....

·
Registered
951 Posts
If I may ask, why is your 91 barrel toast? And what did it take to get it there (round count, dropped down a mountain, etc.)?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I may ask, why is your 91 barrel toast? And what did it take to get it there (round count, dropped down a mountain, etc.)?
It appears this gun was used as a sear host... many indications and evidence point to that being the case.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/152755-brass-ejection-issues-no.html A discussion some of us had last winter before I sent this off to Jeff last week.

Unfortunately, I was unaware of this when I bought it from the previous owner (not sure he did either, he was not the original owner) and consequently did not have the ability or sense to inspect it until putting a couple hundred rounds through it.

Have not cross the same bridge .... yet. Also you need to factor in is that the G3K barrels are 1 in 10 inch twist while the G3 / HK91 barrels are 1 in 12 twist, thus the faster twist might be better for the 175gr M118LR and/or with a suppressor ....
Probably wouldn't go suppressed, but you're right...something to consider with the faster twist rate. Although, having spoken with Jeff about the extended FH, they do impede accuracy quite a bit, but when I can go SBR...it's something I'll have to consider for sure.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I've thought about it long enough and just got off the phone with Jeff, I'm going with the RCM. It's factory correct and it's the best option...Ghillie approved! Thanks for clearing up a few things for me Jeff and setting me straight, always appreciate your advice and knowledge. Ordering my barrel right now.

·
Vendor
6,916 Posts
Ok, I've thought about it long enough and just got off the phone with Jeff, I'm going with the RCM. It's factory correct and it's the best option...Ghillie approved! Thanks for clearing up a few things for me Jeff and setting me straight, always appreciate your advice and knowledge. Ordering my barrel right now.
Outstanding sir.. I will get her all fix up..

·
Vendor
2,158 Posts
I used an CHF RCM barrel w/ mine, and I love it, very accurate w/ everything including DAG Training ammo. Has the correct twist. Are you going w/ an sbr or are you going to pin a flash hider?

I have found I enjoy mine so far in the configuration below. Jeff Did the build. I continue to be impressed with what both Ghillie and RCM put out. I want to upgrade my MP5k Clone Coheire Arms Barrel w/ one of their navy threaded ones one day.

Here is a video of the first rounds through it. I had 1 ftf in the video in the beginning, and one in the end. but this was the first mag the gun had seen other than test fire. As it broke in a bit, it is feeding and extracting everything perfect. I have since been running a bunch of steel and dag plastic ammo through it w/ no problems. I highly recommend getting a training bolt and dag ammo, awesome for plinking.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I love my G3k. Barrels are like brake rotors. Go with the RCM and spend the extra cash on ammo for now. Then keep your eye out for a clean HK G3k barrel from a parts kit, so you can go back to all German the next time your replace your rotors.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...I think the RCM barrel was the right choice.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Rocket

Just to complete the analysis loop, think everyone would be interested in the details of Jeff's analysis of the issues with your HK91, possible back on the old thread (makes a great trouble shooting reference for the next guy). Wonder if this was the first or second barrel in your HK91?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rocket

Just to complete the analysis loop, think everyone would be interested in the details of Jeff's analysis of the issues with your HK91, possible back on the old thread (makes a great trouble shooting reference for the next guy). Wonder if this was the first or second barrel in your HK91?
Good idea. I'll see if I can articulate the behavioral problems and Jeff's analysis of the rifle when he looked at it. He actually sent me some photos so I'll post them as well on the original thread.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for posting the new pics Jeff. Always good talking with you.

·
Registered
951 Posts
It appears this gun was used as a sear host... many indications and evidence point to that being the case.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/152755-brass-ejection-issues-no.html A discussion some of us had last winter before I sent this off to Jeff last week.

Unfortunately, I was unaware of this when I bought it from the previous owner (not sure he did either, he was not the original owner) and consequently did not have the ability or sense to inspect it until putting a couple hundred rounds through it.

Probably wouldn't go suppressed, but you're right...something to consider with the faster twist rate. Although, having spoken with Jeff about the extended FH, they do impede accuracy quite a bit, but when I can go SBR...it's something I'll have to consider for sure.
Thanks for the info, didn't mean to hijack your thread, I was just curious what it takes to push a barrel into unservicability. And FWIW, I think you made a wise choice with the RCM barrel, they make some really nice stuff.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
No experience with shooting an RCM barrel but the 93 barrel I have for my future Ghillie build looks very nice, crisp and professional, very much an HK clone but with the added sweetness of being completely nitrided

That original barrel looks stress fractured in those pics, hard to see the pics perfectly but it looks ugly. I would recommend a complete new non US bolt head assembly as well, but Jeff will take care of you

1 - 20 of 28 Posts