HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.

I found a very pristine condition HK91 to add to my collection and it got me wondering.. I have been considering dropping some considerable money to get started into the NFA world by having the 91 converted to FA.

Aside from the trigger pack, lower, and bolt carrier what else would need to be swapped out? I am trying to get a rough estimate of what this is going to end up costing me before I pull the trigger and end up having to eat ramen noodles for a year! I had always figured there were differences in the bolt head since that is usually the part of a G3 I see that has been demilled, but I haven't yet found information that specifically addresses the differences (if they exist at all).

·
Registered
992 Posts
What you need is a transferrable sear. This will cost about $12k to $13k for the sear and a trigger pack for it. Then all you will need is a FA carrier. The trigger housing and the bolt head are the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What you need is a transferrable sear. This will cost about $12k to $13k for the sear and a trigger pack for it. Then all you will need is a FA carrier. The trigger housing and the bolt head are the same.
Stupid question, but I've seen these G3 lowers for sale on the internet. Assuming you get the correct FFL license, won't this work with a FA carrier?

Or are there more components?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Stupid question, but I've seen these G3 lowers for sale on the internet. Assuming you get the correct FFL license, won't this work with a FA carrier?

Short Answer: No. The G3 pack has 3 pin holes, the HK91 has a shelf, not a push pin. So it will not work without federally prohibited modification.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Have you checked prices lately? A registered sear is in more of the $15,000 range.

I would highly suggest that you read the NFA conversion article referenced above. Other than becoming a Class II manufacturer and creating a Post Sample (for Govt. Agency only) the only way to use the full auto trigger group would be in a push pin registered receiver machinegun that was entered into the NFA registry prior to May 19, 1986.

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Scott

Of course, I meant by a licensed CII manufacturer. I thought I was clear by saying after obtain necessary FFL licenses.

But the parts kits do exist, making it easier for FA wantabees or collectors to get cheaper options into the FA market. With a complete kit, there several CII mgfers who will perform a BUILD for you, from a Parts Kit + flat, which you can supply or purchase from the CII mfger.

Never have done it myself, I assume that these companies are legit ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Short Answer: No. The G3 pack has 3 pin holes, the HK91 has a shelf, not a push pin. So it will not work without federally prohibited modification.
Robfurrow,

Thanks for your post ...

There are CII mfg'ers out there who will legally complete the BUILD for you, either "milling the shelf the drilling new pivot holes" or "clip n pin" the G3 lower and registering the necessary conversion parts. At least thats what I assume is true, having never done it myself. But sounds cheaper than forking out 20 grand.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,810 Posts
Drilling those holes is a no no... Seriously... read the reference. If you want a legal, civilian ownable G3, you are going to be in the $18k+ range.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What about this listing on GB:
HK G3 factory original transferable : Machine Guns at GunBroker.com

So that would make this a pre68 registered factory G3

Does that look legit?

If it is not, then the stamping work on the left side of the receiver is pretty good.

The seller isn't too smart though. If it were mine, I would have more photos of the lower swung down and the front pin hole etc.

Pretty cheap so far for even it were just a double pushpin conversion....

Hardcalibres

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Robfurrow,

Thanks for your post ...

There are CII mfg'ers out there who will legally complete the BUILD for you, either "milling the shelf the drilling new pivot holes" or "clip n pin" the G3 lower and registering the necessary conversion parts. At least thats what I assume is true, having never done it myself. But sounds cheaper than forking out 20 grand.
That possibility ended on May 19, 1986 for private individuals. Unless you are a Class 2 Manufacturer (Title I FFL, Special Operational Tax payer, and registered with the US State Dept for almost $3,000 per year) or Class 3 dealer (Title I FFL, + $500 SOT payer per year) with a demonstration letter from a Govt. Agency of that model machinegun on Agency letter head, making a G3 RR gun is not legal. Without the above circumstances no legal manufacturer can make you a G3. If you are a SOT payer and no longer wish to pay the SOT, all Post Sample machineguns in your inventory must be sold or destroyed before your SOT expires.

Yes, you could have a smith make or modify a HK91 clone for use with a Registered conversion device, but the days of making transferable machineguns ended in '86. I would highly recommend that you read The Complete Reference on the Legal NFA Conversion of HK Firearms for the finer points of what can or can't be done.

Scott

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
You can have an SOT holder modify one for you. You could even own it. But you couldn't possess it. You could only access it and shoot it with the dealer present. And it would live in his safe when not in use.

Otherwise, you're looking at about $18,000 and a six month wait. Which beats the hell out of $100,000 and a 10 year wait in the gray bar hotel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting line of thinking, and that referenced article is the best I have seen on the subject. In short, it would seem best to consider that full auto conversions
ended in '86. Today, it seems to me, the best way into this particular field of interest would be to forget about converting, and start looking for a well-done
effort being handed down from pre-'68. Bring money!

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Interesting line of thinking, and that referenced article is the best I have seen on the subject. In short, it would seem best to consider that full auto conversions
ended in '86. Today, it seems to me, the best way into this particular field of interest would be to forget about converting, and start looking for a well-done
effort being handed down from pre-'68. Bring money!
Yep, or just settle for an AR with a slide fire stock. Oops, too late. :wink:

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,810 Posts
I wish I could carve out some time to properly reformat it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts