HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found my 91 in the back of my closet that I bought new in 1980 and the date code is 1980 under a bunch of other weapons I'd forgotten about I'm looking to lighten it up are there any high quality light weight parts that will enable me to take of some of the weight

·
Registered
480 Posts
Are you talking about a HK91 or HK91-1?
The HK91-1 has an extra shroud around the barrel and a thumbhole stock. It is a heavy beast, and balances worse than a standard HK91.
Otherwise, hit the gym. It ain't that bad. There are some 5,56 weapon systems that weigh in the realm of a HK91. I think the way that the HK91 balances makes it feel heavier than it is.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Good point. I should have read more carefully. I stand corrected. Does the barrel have some sort of shroud on it or why do you find it heavy or unmanageable? The balances of the HK91 are off to begin with, but not so much so that it should necessitate switching the barrel for a lighter weight, low profile barrel.

Again, just my .02 cents but an curious to see if you ended up with a "weird and wonderful" variation on old faithful for some reason.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I too, would love to find an "Old Stash" of weapons in my closet, burried under a bunch of other weapons I'd forgotten.
Welcome to the forum. That's a really neat first post.

Chief

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for all your input guys the balance answer explains a lot that's why it feels heavy to me and I looked to converting to a g36 but seeing how I live in aurora Colo I don't think now would be the best time to ask the chief of police to sign of on sbr rifle

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I understand that.....SMH, what a shame.

Your other option is that you could always sell it to me...kidding, I love the 91's and feel your pain. Good luck and I hope that you're able to enjoys your rifles.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not much you can do to lighten it, but below will shave off a few ounces.

swap the steel cocking tube cap for an aluminum one.
Use a MP5 Clipped and pinned Fbi ambi pack and lower (with a 308 ejector, of course).
Use alloy mags
take off the bi-pod & wide handguard and put on a slim handguard
Use an MFI mount if you are using a scope.
Dont use two mags clamped together

This will shave off a few ounces compared to other parts. See below.

PART APPROX WEIGHT (oz)

slim 91 handguard 8.2
slim 91 handguard w sling clip 9.1
wide vented 91 handguard 13.1
wide standard 91 handguard 13.7
ptr rail 91 stipped with mounting bolt 10.9
2" rail sec w bolts 0.4
3" rail sec w bolts 0.7

alum tube cap 0.2
steel tube cap 0.6
bayo adaptor 1.4

fbi lower ambi & pack 1 lb 0.1