HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure every owner of a 91 has wrestled with locked rollers when reassembling the rifle. I'm not sure who designed the system, but depressing the bolt retaining arm is a royal pain in the tail. I found an old set of amphenol pliers that take the pain out it all. You can do the same with a channel lock plier after padding the jaws. Tygon tubing works well as a padding material. Since using the pliers I have eliminated the grunting, swearing and dread involved in reassembling the 91's bolt assembly. Maybe someone out there has never found the bolt retaining arm spring to be a challenge, but it was for me. Not so with the use of a simple tool and some tubing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You just have to know the right way to do it. If you accidently press the bolt back far enough to lock the lever(rollers out), simply twist the bolt head and it'll come back apart. I used to do the same thing you are describing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Or , simply try to install the carrier into the reciever backwards and as you insert it into the reciever it will "pop" the rollers back in.
NoHair

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You just have to know the right way to do it. If you accidently press the bolt back far enough to lock the lever(rollers out), simply twist the bolt head and it'll come back apart. I used to do the same thing you are describing.
I had no problem twisting the bolt head to disassemble the unit. It was depressing the bolt retaining arm to allow reassembly that was a bitch. All is well in 91 land now.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Or , simply try to install the carrier into the reciever backwards and as you insert it into the reciever it will "pop" the rollers back in.
NoHair
This is BAD advice and will first dent the receiver edges and eventually spread the rear of the receiver open.

I suggest you do it correctly.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Find the directions from HK for reassembly. No grunting, no sweating, no pliers, and no cussing! No tools required and is super simple once you do a couple of times.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had no problem twisting the bolt head to disassemble the unit. It was depressing the bolt retaining arm to allow reassembly that was a bitch. All is well in 91 land now.
I'll have to dig my PTR or HK93 out of the vault and tear it apart. There's a way you can turn the bolt while pushing it down on the locking piece and carrier so that it wedges under the retaining arm and lifts it up. Then you turn the bolt/locking piece into place. Once you master it, it's easy!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dug out my 93 and tore it down. The trick is to put your locking piece into the carrier, set the bolt onto the locking piece, then twist the bolt clockwise so that the bottom of the bolt is lined up with the bolt retaining arm. The bottom of the bolt is angled at the rear so with a firm push, it'll lift the arm right up. Next, continue turning the bolt clockwise until it's 90 degress off-center:rollers should be on top and bottom. Pull the bolt out slightly and then twist the bolt the rest of the way so that it's in the right position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts