HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the itch for a 30cal battle rifle and have always loved the HK91. According to some the recoil impulse on the HK91 is akin to getting kicked in the shoulder by an angry mule. Just curious if any of you have a paratrooper model and if so how much does it suck to shoot?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Yes it will tear your arm off, literally by the roots...It was all my 5' tall daughter in law could do to go thru 5 magazines on this monster!

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
I just shot my HK91 for the first time a few weeks ago and my initial reaction was "that's it?"

It's not that bad.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Paratrooper meaning the collapsible stock? While not as comfortable as the fixed stock, I don't find them to be nearly as bad as folks make them out to be.

·
Registered
409 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a wimp, I have that model 91 and while it's not terrible - lots of my bolt guns are worse, the recoil and collapsible stock combine to create a gun I honestly didn't enjoy shooting. I did some work on the buffer and now generally shoot it with a Magpul fixed stock and like it better. To be clear, it's fine unless youre recoil sensitive but I'd constantly be grabbing my SCAR heavy and never the G3 before I made the changes. And, if I may be so bold - the damn thing is a handful with the auto sear installed. Once was enough ;-). Matt

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My 4'10", 100lb, 67yo wife can shoot my PTR91 (18" barrel/full stock) without any issue.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The recoil does not allow for prolonged comfortable shooting sessions though it is better than a Mosin Nagant or Enfield. A muzzle brake is the most effective way to fix this. I have a FSC 91 on one PTR and an even more effective PRC on my new PTR and those both really helped a lot.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Winters and a heavy coat make it easy.

Summer in a T-shirt, it will leave a few marks.

The older 'shooter' stock is more comfy but getting a proper sight picture is harder.

Dennis

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ditto on the heavy coat vs T-shirt...

I'm 6' tall and 200+ lbs, and never had problems firing several magazines with the collapsible stock, not comfy but hardly punishing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like the A3 (PARA) stock, never bothered me. (Winter or Summer) The only thing I don't like is the cheek slap and that can be fixed with some pipe insulation.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I guess the only question now is, where can I find one?
You buy the rifle of your choice and then order the stock from a vendor or private party. Pull two pins, replace stock and reinstall pins. Then put on your man pants and go shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
RTG parts will have the stocks, I believe they still have some of the old style:

The newer style were really designed with launching rifle grenades and are not as comfortable.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You buy the rifle of your choice and then order the stock from a vendor or private party. Pull two pins, replace stock and reinstall pins. Then put on your man pants and go shooting.
I've looked at hkparts.net for said man pants but they were back ordered. Any others sources you can suggest ;-)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The recoil does not allow for prolonged comfortable shooting sessions though it is better than a Mosin Nagant or Enfield. A muzzle brake is the most effective way to fix this. I have a FSC 91 on one PTR and an even more effective PRC on my new PTR and those both really helped a lot.
What is the "PRC" ?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts