HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've always wanted one, but the one thing keeping me from just running out and selling a kidney for an original HK91 is the lack of a paddle mag release. I know it sounds stupid and superficial, but after handling a PTR91 in a store, I know I want a paddle mag release.

Furthermore, if I'm correct, the PTR91 didn't seem to have enough flutes in the barrel...I doubt it's factory HK, but I might be wrong.

That said, is there an aftermarket G3 style rifle, with the full-length hand guard (not like the wide style MP5 hand guards on the closest thing Vector currently sells), a paddle mag release, and a proper barrel? From what I understand, as the HK91 was intended to be a civilian rifle, it would be nigh impossible to install a G3-style lower, but am I wrong? I've spent a couple hours a day looking into this, searching forums, etc., and I've found some of the information I was looking for, but not all. Any input from you all is seriously appreciated. :) Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can clip & pin a G3 lower to fit a 91's semi shelf and add a paddle mag release for around $400 on top of $2000 for a gun and you are ready to go.

Ok, I've always wanted one, but the one thing keeping me from just running out and selling a kidney for an original HK91 is the lack of a paddle mag release. I know it sounds stupid and superficial, but after handling a PTR91 in a store, I know I want a paddle mag release.

Furthermore, if I'm correct, the PTR91 didn't seem to have enough flutes in the barrel...I doubt it's factory HK, but I might be wrong.

That said, is there an aftermarket G3 style rifle, with the full-length hand guard (not like the wide style MP5 hand guards on the closest thing Vector currently sells), a paddle mag release, and a proper barrel? From what I understand, as the HK91 was intended to be a civilian rifle, it would be nigh impossible to install a G3-style lower, but am I wrong? I've spent a couple hours a day looking into this, searching forums, etc., and I've found some of the information I was looking for, but not all. Any input from you all is seriously appreciated. :) Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I do that, the original mag release button will still be there, though, right?

·
2,832 Posts
if you want a padle type mag release, you can also installed(yourself) a Tac Latch for $50-60, it works sideways unlike the G3 padle

·
Registered
886 Posts
+1 for a Tac latch, PTR's have a few less flutes, this apparently reduces recoil on a PTR vs an HK-91.

Bill

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That Tac Latch looks like a good idea. I noticed on Gunbroker the other day that Vector made some sort of full length HK91-style rifle with the paddle mag release; are Vector's rifles quality pieces, or should I stick with the HK91 with Tac Latch?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Sturmgreif just an FYI, if I remember correctly the Vector's paddle release is like HK's where it pivots front to back. My release swivels side to side. From the Vector 93 clone that I have handled, the thing worked fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right...I'll have to do some more thinking (not that I won't have the time...the USC/UMP project set me back a good bit, lol). I'd prefer factory HK, but the exclusion of the paddle release makes no sense to me. I like the lateral mag release, but I'd prefer the traditional style paddle mag release...thanks for the input, guys. :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Right...I'll have to do some more thinking (not that I won't have the time...the USC/UMP project set me back a good bit, lol). I'd prefer factory HK, but the exclusion of the paddle release makes no sense to me. I like the lateral mag release, but I'd prefer the traditional style paddle mag release...thanks for the input, guys. :)
Hey the legislators feel a paddle magazine release makes the firearm evil.........just like coloring it black.......

·
Registered
886 Posts
I guess I wanted the HK91 more than the paddle mag release. Since I'm not carrying it into combat I suppose I can take an extra few seconds to drop the magazine and reload. I prefer owning the HK rather than the PTR.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah...I kinda forgot about paddle mag releases being considered an evil feature. I guess that makes sense, then. That would be awesome if they imported them again for a limited time, now that the ban is over...

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can clip & pin a G3 lower to fit a 91's semi shelf and add a paddle mag release for around $400 on top of $2000 for a gun and you are ready to go.
Along these lines, does anyone know of any HK-91 semi-auto grip frames available? I mean the non-Navy (read: metal) ones that only have SF.

I'm hesitant to get the G3 SEF assembly for a semi-auto, since it looks like a machine gun (I'm in an unfriendly state for that) and it seems silly to have the 3rd selection if it's non-functional.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Who sells the tac latch?

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
thanks for the link. They mention that this cannot be used with the PTR91? Is that true?
I would call PTR to make sure. That being said, I think it's low on the list of no no's for most LE departments meaning they could probably care less if you installed one on your PTR/JLD.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Along these lines, does anyone know of any HK-91 semi-auto grip frames available? I mean the non-Navy (read: metal) ones that only have SF.

I'm hesitant to get the G3 SEF assembly for a semi-auto, since it looks like a machine gun (I'm in an unfriendly state for that) and it seems silly to have the 3rd selection if it's non-functional.
I have an extra one for a 91, but I was planning on having Bill Springfield work his magic on it.

I do have a separate 93/94 trigger assembly at home, but you'd have to change out some parts to make it work on a 91 series rifle.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The 93/94 trigger pack is the same, the ejector will have to be swapped out.(very easy). If its a true 94 9mm, then the hammer spring will need to be swapped out for the heavier G3 version, again easy.

Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts