HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen all kinds of magazines for HK91 rifles.
Some are heavy , steel ones with 7.62 and two letter date code stamped on the side. (IJ, IH, etc)
Some are much lighter black magacines stamped G3

What 20rd magaiznes was HK shipping their rifles with in the 1980's?

Would like to know more about different HK91 style magaiznes .

THANK YOU.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
They shipped with steel date-coded 20-round magazines, at least all those I saw. If any shipped with military aluminum mags, they were the exception.

There are also 5-round steel mags.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They shipped with steel date-coded 20-round magazines, at least all those I saw. If any shipped with military aluminum mags, they were the exception.

There are also 5-round steel mags.
So the caliber and two letter stamped steel magazines are HK factory correct magazines for 1980's HK91's ?

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Yes, and you can decipher the date code quite simply, have a look at the HKPro "Symbols on HK Firearms."

The Symbols on HK Firearms

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
STEEL mags marked HI and IA 7.62×51 are HK. Factory mags? How about black Light weight mags marked G3 HK 12/79?

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Germany military issue "paratrooper" aluminum mags produced December, 1979.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
HK also produced 30-round magazines for the HK91/G3. I recently acquired the 30-rounder pictured below which has no factory markings at all. I believe it to be genuine HK based on my research.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
HK also produced 30-round magazines for the HK91/G3. I recently acquired the 30-rounder pictured below which has no factory markings at all. I believe it to be genuine HK based on my research.

Someone with more knowledge might tell me I'm wrong but I believe that is an aftermarket job.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Could be. I have no way of knowing for sure in this instance. What specifically makes you believe they are not HK factory made?
I would think that HK would have done a more seamless job and they also look like the ones RTG sells. The South Africans (I believe) did 30 rounders that were just longer bodies with no curve to them.

As I said though I could be wrong and if so I expect a resident expert to tell me so soon.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I would think that HK would have done a more seamless job and they also look like the ones RTG sells. The South Africans (I believe) did 30 rounders that were just longer bodies with no curve to them.

As I said though I could be wrong and if so I expect a resident expert to tell me so soon.
The welds are consistent with all other factory HK ones I have seen via the search function on this site and elsewhere. I've seen the South African ones - they are straight with no curve or weld marks. USA manufactured welds are sloppier. Based on what I have read, the ones RTG sells are from RDTS and are 40-rounders fashioned after the original HK 30-round mags.

All that said, I am no expert and am saying all this based on a month or so worth of research. As you indicated, there are others that may have better information than I.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I always figured it was Fleming or some other madman from that era building those frankenmags for the HK51K. I've got one like the above and it works great.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
No way Tony, really?? Man I always thought there was no way the frankenmag was factory. I just bought one with these dimples at a gun show last year for $10. It was in the cheap mag bin!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts