HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a bunch of this ammo at a local gun store. They are boxed loose in 50 round containers. I figured the offering of 308 Win in 150 grain FMJ might be just what the doctor ordered for my HK91.

I've been running around shooting a pretty wide array of ammo in the 91 trying to see what is a good alternative to the Federal Gold Medal ammo (168 gr) that I'd been shooting in that and in my SR9TC. The Gold Medal ammo is just too expensive to shoot all the time.

Anyhow I'd been testing with not much satisfaction (within 3 moa, but with the Gold Medal I'd been shooting under the potential of the load). Other loads I could do better, but you can clearly see the difference in loads.

This ammo is a backwards step. For some reason I get groupings with the standard 3 moa tolerance for a battle rifle, then get a flyer that pushes the moa out to 4.5 or 5. It pretty consistently does this. At first I thought it was me, but I had my friend shoot and same thing.

My 91 is set up with a 12X scope and a Bill Springfield trigger group.

For those of you that run across the MagTech ammo in 150 grain FMJ, my suggestion to you is to skip it..........not worth it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
For a very small investment you could be set up to handload cartridges tuned to your rifle.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^I have thought seriously about that Stubbicatt, but I need to rearrange a lot of stuff to make room to setup a loading station (rooms where I can do this are somewhat limited in my house).

·
Registered
962 Posts
I gothrough a lot of this MAgtech .308. Reason being is its cheaper than surplus ammo here in town. A 50 round box with tax runs me $32.00. Its great for plikning, not target shootin. I use all my lake city .308 for for "important" shooting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts