HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI HKP

Just want to give you all the heads up, I've been emailing Mike at Rimcountry MFG and he is going to do a limited run of 1/7 twist 16" HK93 and 8.25" HK53 barrels in 1/7 twist.

If you want one, contact him directly at [email protected]
I'm not making a dime on this, just wanted to pass on the info.

The 16" bbls are $245, the 8.25" are $225 plus shipping.

I am going to be getting two barrels for future builds, one for "33 SG-1" and a "33K". So if you want one, let him know, he probably won't be cutting them for a while, so probably early next year?

·
Registered
390 Posts
That's awesome! I planned on getting their 1/9, but I'd prefer the 1/7. Did he say if he needs a deposit or full payment upfront or anything?

It would be perfect timing if he plans to cut them in a couple of months. My money isn't right yet, but will be in the next 2-3 months.

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's awesome! I planned on getting their 1/9, but I'd prefer the 1/7. Did he say if he needs a deposit or full payment upfront or anything?

It would be perfect timing if he plans to cut them in a couple of months. My money isn't right yet, but will be in the next 2-3 months.
I don't think he needs any $ right now ~ though as we get closer perhaps?
I'll ask and post what he says.

2-3 months is just about right for me too. Nothing says "happy new year!" than a 1/7 twist 223 HK 90 series!:730:

·
Banned
848 Posts
barrel run

Just for clarification, we will run some 1 in 7 barrels for those who want them. I will give the post some time for people to respond to, then order blanks. pricing is posted above and we expect to start them around the 1st of the year. You guys have been great with ideas for new parts and hopefully you are real happy with the parts that have been sold already.THANKS ALOT!

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
N00B ALERT! question.. What are the advantages with the 8.25 BBL having a 1/7 and not a 1/9? Same question with the 16" BBL - TIA...
Longer bullets need faster twist. You'll see talk about the heavier .223/5.56 needing a faster spin to properly stabilize. It's really the length of the bullet that matters, but for a given diameter bullet, as it gets longer, it gets heavier, and since the bullet weight is a known value printed right on the box, it's easier to discuss in those terms instead of the length.

As far as bbl length goes, the longer a barrel is, the higher the bullet velocity will be, so conversely, the shorter it is the slower it will be. Bullet spin is a function of it's velocity down the barrel and barrel twist, so if the bullet has a slower velocity when it leaves the muzzle, it needs a tighter twist to get the necessary spin rate before it leaves the bbl. So the shorter the bbl, the more it needs the faster rifling twist.

·
Registered
390 Posts
So even though a bullet coming out of a shorter barrel has less velocity than one in a longer barrel, therefore losing some penetration power, when a tighter twist is put on it (1/7), does it regain any more of its' penetration power back with the tighter twist?

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
So even though a bullet coming out of a shorter barrel has less velocity than one in a longer barrel, therefore losing some penetration power, when a tighter twist is put on it (1/7), does it regain any more of its' penetration power back with the tighter twist?
No, the bullet spin is what stabilizes it in flight, so it is accurate. It's just like the "spiral" when a qood quarterback throws the football, or one of those gyroscopes you may have played with as a kid. To simplify it greatly, when an object spins like that, it resists being deflected from its path. I'm not sure why they didn't come out with the heavier (and longer) 5.56mm rounds until they had been in use for decades, but that's why you don't see 1/7 twist HK33/93/53 barrels until those made in the late 80s.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I recently received email confirmation that I would be put on the list. I asked him if there was any chance these would be 4150 ORD steel. They will apparently be 4140. While I am glad these will be produced, I really wish they'd do a 4150 ORD steel barrel....for fullauto, ya know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts