HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright gents, I'm getting to the point where I want a new long gun...and HK long gun. Ar's are boring to me, and I just cant get into AKs....what I came up with was a an HK53. Problem is bigfoot is eaiser to find. Now, I spoken with a couple people already to get a general idea, however I'm extending the conversation here. Now before we start, yes, I've "used the search function" but I'm still looking for some specific answers.

To start, I understand that this isnt going to inexpensive. Second, if I do a clone go with DT. Third, it seems as though most agree that getting a build kit, AND a 93 is the best way to go. So i'm curious, what have others done to build their HK53's? Who do you use, what components do you use (gun, kit, etc) Who do you recommend for building, what price are you looking at, what time length are we talking? I'm ok with waiting, all good things and what not, but I'm curious if It's really worth it to invest ~7k to get this done. I've been told D53 is #1 for clones, Zenith #2, and vectors are garbage....

Any advice on this or input on what others have done would be GREATLY appreciated.

TMG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bernie Francis of B3 Armament in Chantilly had 2 53's at the Richmond, Va gun show last weekend, both built by Mike Woodward of TSC Machine. They were in the $7000 price range.

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
IF you need the reciever to be from HK, go all in and get a demilled 53 and try to source a ratty 93. IGF, TSC, TPM, etc will make it into a beautiful gun.

Me, I did not want to spend that kind of money.....

My 53 in 300blk was built by brethren off of a SW flat, and a hodge-podge of parts I supplied (and 922r parts). I like it, a lot.

My 53 in 5.56 was built by Jeff @ PCS, SW flat, hodge-podge of parts, Yada , yade, yada.

I love this gun, too. And PCS built me this under a time crunch so that I could e-file a form 1. Jeff's turnaround time is amazing, and greatly appreciated.

IF I wanted a turn-key solution, Dakota Tactical makes beautiful stuff. I just never wanted to endure the wait. Maybe with the new dealer network it will be easier to buy a DT?

Enjoy the process, and then the result.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
TPM do great builds. Dakoto is great too but not the only one anymore that delivers top notch quality. I have TPM, MM, BPP and TF builds that all run great and look identical. 2K is what TPM charges plus the price for a 93 which you can find for less than 3k

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you want actual HK then the only part from a 93 that would be used is the receiver. Pick up a 53 kit and have the 93 receiver built and re-engraved. Sell off the remaining 93 parts to help fund your build.

Price-wise will be the cost of a 93 donor and a 53 kit plus labor depending on who you have build it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I started the HK53 project, I looked for a HK93 that was ... well broken in. The idea being a lower purchase price, and buying a beat up gun that would end up being refinished eases my conscience about destroying a HK93.

I went after the specific parts needed rather than a parts kit. I lucked out and found a brand new barrel. Scored the like new HK53 BCG from the barrel seller and was able to source the rest of the required HK53 parts from our HKPRO supporting vendors. Off the top of my head, I think my final bill was in the $5500 - $5600 range, plus another $200 for Uncle Sam.

Look toward the end of this post for the HK53 ...
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/tpm-outfitters/226444-thanks-ken-matt.html

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Alright gents, I'm getting to the point where I want a new long gun...and HK long gun.

TMG
Uh, just in case you haven't figured out the obvious... The 53 is not a long gun. It's short.

LOL. J/K

I have two clone 53 pistols that I use as sear hosts. Even upgraded one to an SBR. Great guns and I really like them. Wouldn't get rid of either. But yes, the conversion of an HK93 would be sublime.

All that said, that's a lot of money to make a short long gun with questionable lethality. I'd suggest a clone 53 from DT and if you really want a highly functional .223 with great flexibility, go for a 33k.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
OP...I had Jayson at IGF do mine. Bought a parts kit, a flat from a fellow member here, and wallah!! It is flawless in looks and operation. However, I will caution you that if you go SBR, go ahead and put in the paperwork for a suppressor. It is obnoxiously loud, but very accurate. Good luck, and have fun with the build.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a vector 53 and it shoots amazing. I've never had any issues with it and it's a great gun. I shoot it more than all of my other 50 rifles. Having bought both real HK's and clones my suggestion would be that If you want a safe queen go the 7k 93 conversion route. If you want a gun you can shoot and shoot a lot without regret get a clone.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
What I meant to say above was that if I wanted to do any conversion to my HK93, it would be to a 33k. Not a 53.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts