HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replace the barrel on an HK94? Mine has had alot of rounds thru it, and the flutes are almost gone. I found a new barrel, but I was wondering if this is something I can do, or do I need to pay someone to replace it?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It can be done with the right equipment (10-12 ton shop press, barrel push rod, feeler guage). The hardest part is getting the barrel pin out without bashing the heck out of the receiver.

I cheat when doing barrels. I place the receiver in a vise while supporting the front end from movement. I drill out the hardened steel barrel pin with an undersized (CARBIDE) end mill (5/32" works well). The hollowed pin can be tapped out. Press out the barrel.

Install is best from the chamber end out. Set the gap at .018 and drill the new barrel pin hole with a #9 drill (if memory serves correct) and punch a new barrel pin in. This is not a hard project to do but you must know eaxactly what's required and have the right tools.

Most people will tell you to send it off, but I like to ramble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With a very simple fixture and a correctly shouldered pin, the bbl retaining pin comes right out with the use of a press. I've thought about marketing this fixture, but am too busy.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Most people will tell you to send it off, but I like to ramble.
Like Carl says - "I reckon I like the way you talk, mmm hmmm."

Whenever I start my first build, I think I"ll make a fixture to hold the receiver and try pounding the pin out first.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I tried to hammer one out once, it didn't budge, and I came to the conclusion that if I hammered any harder that I would bend the receiver, so I'd second that.
Projekt: Let me know about the fixture you are talking about. I ended up cutting a block of hard wood to support the receiver under the trunnion in a press, but I don't think I would try that again either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Edavidson,
How many rounds does your HK94 have through it? I know of at least one MP-5 with almost a half a million documented rounds and the barrel was still within tolerance. Is yours damaged or are the flutes just full of funk? You would have a tough time wearing a HK-94 hammer forged barrel out. Check with a HK armorer like Phil Flack of PF guns for some answers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts