HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the pricing is steep, but the laws of supply and demand are in effect. The supply is very limited and there is a fairly big demand. But some of the prices I've seen are ridiculous. Asking $5500 for an SP89 is a bit much IMO. (saw this at a show). The seller was either delusional are looking for a sucker. Of course I did see someone ask him about setting up a payment plan so I guess there are some out there. I think $2500-$3000 is about the most I'd ever pay for either (depending on condition and adequate funds available for discretionary purchases).

I also think that some of the clones out there have helped jack up the prices of real HKs. Get more stuff in circulation and create interest. Get people to buy the cheaper clones casue they look great and are affordable. People may (or may not) have to fiddle with their clone to get to work - which means looking for parts. People want real parts. Then people want real HK all the way.

I'll be getting a cloned MP-5 at some point just becasue I don't have the money to put down for the real thing, not to mention I would really like to play with the toys I get, not just keep them locked up in a safe. Now if I ever win the lottery then thats a different story.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
It is supply in demand and in this case, there wont ever be any more supply. Not too different from the machinegun situation and the 1986 ban. 94s are fairly plentiful although they were imported in much smaller numbers than the 91s, similar with the 93s. 94 prices have actually levelled a bit due to the DOJ guns but I believe that is starting to change. As long as they are legal, they will inevitably go up. The SP89s are much more limited in supply, hence the higher prices. Most of the ones Ive seen sell, no improvements or accessories have gone 3200-3500 dollars, but many are packaged up and are 4K+. I dont expect to see these go down, only rise in price.

·
Atta' Boy!!
575 Posts
Seems that the top end has slowed down somewhat, like the sear market, only so many suckers out there for now. Now with the clones, it's bad business to fire your HK stuff. Might as well have it mothballed as an investment and burn the barrels off the clone. This months SAR had a good article about Vector Arms, seems that as parts become more scarce the clones will increase in price if they have to produce a lot of the parts domestically. By the way, I have a NIB SP-89 for $6000, but you can make low interest monthly payments! :)
God Bless,
Pyro Mike

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not to hijack but I believe it is in the same vein....is a restamped SP89 to MP5K PDW in the long run worth the same, more or less than leaving it stamped as an SP89?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
In the current market its worth more as its a desireable addition and is basically worth the cost of the work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In the current market its worth more as its a desireable addition and is basically worth the cost of the work.
What he said. There are things you can do that would decrease the value (like actually having fun shooting it :61: ) and things that would make it more desirable. I think that most people would pay more for it IMO.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I paid $3500 for my SP89 (my avitar), then promptly had it rebarreled and refinished ($900). And although it was an expensive "investment" I don't think my kids will ever go to college from the sale of it. That being said, mine is a shooter...I scufferd it the first week I got it back from the refinish. I could have found a cheaper one, but it was a FTF sale and I had to have it. Gunbroker had 3 consecutive serial numbered ones a few months ago for $16,000. I have been debating about the restamp and paddle release, but think I will have RDTS do it soon.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I paid just under $3k almost exactly one year ago for an SP89 that had some scuffs on the exterior but was mechanically like new, with like new internals.

It immediately wnet to Phil Flack, who sent it to HK and had it rebarreled with a factory MP5K-PDW barrel. He then installed a paddle mag release and sent it to Gordon Miller for remark to MP5K-N.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sturm has a 99%-er for $3900 right now...

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Those prices are about right. I paid 4K for mine but it already came with the 3 lug PDW barrel installed plus magazines, etc. It was in 99 percent condition. It is an SBR now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts