HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my 94 engraved, only two years after getting the stamp. I'd like to go ahead and cut the barrel don close to MP5 length to test the gun out a lot, then eventually get M60JOE to thread it for the three lug adapter. Don't want to replace the barrel with something else. Eventually I'll get the paddle mag release. Not sure about MP5 markings.

Does anybody know what length should be sticking out there, or should I just email Joe?

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
It's your gun and you should do what you want, but I wouldn't cut the barrel to test it. 94s run just fine with a short barrel, every bit of evidence I have ever seen proves it. For me, just send off for the final work by whatever smith you choose and enjoy the final product.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's your gun and you should do what you want, but I wouldn't cut the barrel to test it. 94s run just fine with a short barrel, every bit of evidence I have ever seen proves it. For me, just send off for the final work by whatever smith you choose and enjoy the final product.
Well this has been a discussed topic in the past, in that the person who did the Form 1 is technically supposed to do the SBR conversion. Getting it cut by someone else was considered incorrect sequencing, and potentially made that third party the actual "maker" of the SBR. Maybe that changed in the last few years. The last one that I converted that had to have the barrel actually cut was back in 2008. All the others since were pistols that just required adding a stock after engraving.

Maybe it's now considered a "don't care".

But hey, the reality of it is that I really just want to cut it down and play with it in that form for a while before sending it off for the other mod work. I've shot it with my sear in it a few times, but that long barrel sticking out the front is just dorky looking.

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
Well this has been a discussed topic in the past, in that the person who did the Form 1 is technically supposed to do the SBR conversion. Getting it cut by someone else was considered incorrect sequencing, and potentially made that third party the actual "maker" of the SBR. Maybe that changed in the last few years. The last one that I converted that had to have the barrel actually cut was back in 2008. All the others since were pistols that just required adding a stock after engraving.

Maybe it's now considered a "don't care".

But hey, the reality of it is that I really just want to cut it down and play with it in that form for a while before sending it off for the other mod work. I've shot it with my sear in it a few times, but that long barrel sticking out the front is just dorky looking.
Just from the outside looking in....why not keep the original (just in case you want to sell off in the future, and remove from NFA) and install the below listed? This way you don't lose the "value", by cutting down the barrel. Just a thought.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-N-Barrel-Threaded-1-2-X-32-3-Lug-82p16967.htm

·
Banned
2,002 Posts
I cringe every time I hear someone speak of cutting down their own barrel unless a very good machinist.. God Terrible Things can and have happened. Most prolifically in the AK world, but its everywhere. Send it in and I would replace barrel. Do it right way the first time.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cringe every time I hear someone speak of cutting down their own barrel unless a very good machinist.. God Terrible Things can and have happened. Most prolifically in the AK world, but its everywhere. Send it in and I would replace barrel. Do it right way the first time.
I'm not technically a machinist. I am however a design engineer with 33 years of experience in electrical, mechanical, and carpentry. Also have my own wood and machine shop in the garage. But all that being said, I've cut down barrels like this before. And my true love is in hand craftsmanship. So I'll probably go old school on it. A saw and hand files will do the trick. It's a 50yd. weapon so I'm not too worried about .5 MOA accuracy. And it's only temporary anyway. These cold hammer forged barrels appear to be solid non-layered steel so it'll work for now.

Hell, might decide to go with a new barrel eventually anyway, but just hate the wear and tear of doing the swap. It's primarily going to be a sear host for shooting, so not really going for a museum piece. Trust me when I say that it was well used by the time I got it. Well at least it looks like it was a truck gun anyway.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I'm not technically a machinist. I am however a design engineer with 33 years of experience in electrical, mechanical, and carpentry. Also have my own wood and machine shop in the garage. But all that being said, I've cut down barrels like this before. And my true love is in hand craftsmanship. So I'll probably go old school on it. A saw and hand files will do the trick. It's a 50yd. weapon so I'm not too worried about .5 MOA accuracy. And it's only temporary anyway. These cold hammer forged barrels appear to be solid non-layered steel so it'll work for now.

Hell, might decide to go with a new barrel eventually anyway, but just hate the wear and tear of doing the swap. It's primarily going to be a sear host for shooting, so not really going for a museum piece. Trust me when I say that it was well used by the time I got it. Well at least it looks like it was a truck gun anyway.
I don't believe there to be a big deal cutting it, but I wouldn't do it simply to test it but rather in anticipation of sending it off to be "finished" (3 lug etc.). One of the respected smiths that I have used "required" me to cut the barrel to anything under 16" so that I, in fact, actually "manufactured" the sbr. I guess you could say that he simply "cleaned up my work" by further cutting to correct length and threading accordingly.

On one of my 94 conversions, I actually had the 94 barrel swapped with a MP5 three lug which pretty well guarantees that you will have no issues with using a can. Those "conversions" obviously involve more costs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Back in 2011 I had Jayson Cotter at IGF give my Hk94 the MP5-N look and when I asked him then, he advised: "We need at least 1.4" of barrel forward of the front sight to do the install. If you can cut it about 2" forward of the front sight we can recut and do the machining no problem." That's what I did, after my Form 1 came back, I cut it 2" forward of the front site. He did the rest and it came back great! Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back in 2011 I had Jayson Cotter at IGF give my Hk94 the MP5-N look and when I asked him then, he advised: "We need at least 1.4" of barrel forward of the front sight to do the install. If you can cut it about 2" forward of the front sight we can recut and do the machining no problem." That's what I did, after my Form 1 came back, I cut it 2" forward of the front site. He did the rest and it came back great! Good luck with yours.
Thanks. I did some measurements of a few other guns last night and ended up cutting it to 1.5. I squared it, crowned it, and blued it. Actually looks pretty good. Took it to the range tonight with the sear installed. Ran about 8 mags of S&B and Federal Estate ammo through it. The thing ran perfectly. I'm very pleased. I might have cut the barrel a bit short, but I'll just need it threaded for the three lug adapter. Not worried about the N type with the threads out front. I've got an extra new barrel in that configuration for a backup, if I wear out the original or just don't like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts