HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an HK91 and the exterior is about 85-90% (not bad for a 26-year old rifle). I am considering a refinish on it but I would want to match the orginal blue-grey finish. Anyone know what paint/finish and color mix HK used?

Additionally, will refinishing (to HK color spec) decrease it's value or am I just better off with leaving the factory finish with the claw marks and suffs and scratches? It's going to be a "casual" shooter but I handle my guns with EXTREME care... I have a 1991 pre-ban AR that I shoot frequently and it looks as it did the day I bought it.

Thanks!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Found it!! Thanks!!

Any ideas on change in value?
It mostly depends on the buyer, and if they are more interested in the finish being original, or they are more interested it in "looking" brand new. But it costs at most $200 to get one professionally refinished, so I wouldn't expect it to add more than that to the value.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It mostly depends on the buyer, and if they are more interested in the finish being original, or they are more interested it in "looking" brand new. But it costs at most $200 to get one professionally refinished, so I wouldn't expect it to add more than that to the value.
Thanks for the insight. I'm more concerned about it losing value than gaining. I'd never sell it... just more for the "oooh ahhh" value :)

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
It's your rifle...if ya want it to look new, refinish it. There are a lot of beat-up 91's out there. I know I'd refinish my "used" rifles, if they looked too used. 2-cents

·
2,832 Posts
Id think you would break even at best with a refinish, Id prefer one even with a few character marks than one with a unknown re-finish

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I've always wondered what a green 91 with green furniture would look like. Couldn't be any worse than the cheesey factory camo rifles. I had all those. Hated the fact, that the finish came off by looking at them.

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,707 Posts
Refinishing a 130 year old Colt SAA is a huge sin.

I don't think it matters on these HKs, given their relative youth.

Just should be done right.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. It's not beat-up at all. I's say the finish is 95%... small scuff at the front end of the charging tube, claw marks, 3-5 random nicks and some nicks on the bottom of the magwell (likey from the mags)... defintely "character" wear but like I said, in the 90-95% area.

I think I'm going to leave it be for now as I started thinking about getting a claw mount for it.

Again, thanks everyone!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nah man you need a paddle mag release and a refinish!!!
You know, I thought about the paddle... but as function as they are, it will take away from it's orginal configuration. That's one of the primary reasons I wont put a clipped/pinned grip on it. I'm an avid amirer of assault rifles. I'll ad accessories and such but I typically won't try to change the base config.

As sick as it sounds... my paddle solution is to buy a genuine G3 :D

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
You know, I thought about the paddle... but as function as they are, it will take away from it's orginal configuration. That's one of the primary reasons I wont put a clipped/pinned grip on it. I'm an avid amirer of assault rifles. I'll ad accessories and such but I typically won't try to change the base config.

As sick as it sounds... my paddle solution is to buy a genuine G3 :D
It just depends on how you look at it. The only reason the HK91/93/94s didn't come with the paddle mag releases is that they didn't want to take the time to come up with a design that would allow keeping it after the semi-auto shelves were added.

So it's not really adding an accessory, it's more like returning it to what it's supposed to be.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It just depends on how you look at it. The only reason the HK91/93/94s didn't come with the paddle mag releases is that they didn't want to take the time to come up with a design that would allow keeping it after the semi-auto shelves were added.

So it's not really adding an accessory, it's more like returning it to what it's supposed to be.
I hear ya... I just like keeping things factory... kind of like auto collectors. They don't look at what it "should" have, they look at it as "did it come that way from the factory". As odd as it may sound, I look at rifles the same way. I agree with Tom when he said it's a young rifle, but I still can't help it. I have a pre-ban "bastardized" AR (came from Colt with a "slab" lower and no bayo-lug - verified). As much as I hate the slab side and lack of bayo lug, I've decided to leave it be simply because it came from the factory that way... sigh.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I would believe your words until I saw your SL8/G36 conversion work in the Members Gallery. You sure modified the hell out of that one.... LOL

A paddle mag conversion is a cake walk considering all the work you put into your SL8. :)

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I hear ya... I just like keeping things factory... kind of like auto collectors. They don't look at what it "should" have, they look at it as "did it come that way from the factory".

Not all car guys are like that. I cut em up, and make them the way I like them. I don't do it to please others, as they aren't paying for it.:20000000:

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would believe your words until I saw your SL8/G36 conversion work in the Members Gallery. You sure modified the hell out of that one.... LOL

A paddle mag conversion is a cake walk considering all the work you put into your SL8. :)
LMAO... smart a**!! I bought the SL8 with the pure intent to hack the hell out of it!... but seriously, since we can't own genuine G36's the SL8 conversion was the route... but if you DID notice, my hack-em-up job resulted in a near perfect replication :D

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not all car guys are like that. I cut em up, and make them the way I like them. I don't do it to please others, as they aren't paying for it.:20000000:
I hear ya dude, completely... I'm just more of an "authenticity" kinda guy... THAT's what pleases me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts