HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone thoughts or experiences with either? I believe the HKParts is made of aluminum whereas the X Tech is polymer? Correct me if I'm wrong. Just an observation.

·
Banned
474 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend had his HKParts extension come apart after a single drop onto concrete during a reload (so the magazine was empty). Personally, I've had good luck with the Taylor Freelance magazine extensions over the last couple of years.
awesome, thanks for the real world feedback!! Are the TF mags polymer? have you drop yours ever? lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
awesome, thanks for the real world feedback!! Are the TF mags polymer? have you drop yours ever? lol
The Taylor Freelance ones are aluminum, I believe, probably 6061. I have dropped mine many, many times on concrete, usually empty; the older versions had some issues with bent locking plates (which was generally an easy fix, just flip them around), but I've not had any issues with the new locking plates.

I have like 6 or 9 of the Gen1s and Gen2s each (I think I have like 12 or 15 of the extensions total, would have to count to be sure), haven't touched the Gen3s yet. The Gen1s came with a ****ty beveled aluminium locking plate, which I wrote to Robin about, as it would bend after a single drop on concrete; one of the upgrades that the Gen2s had was a non-beveled stainless steel locking plate, which were much more rugged, and could take a lot of drops on concrete before it would bend enough be noticeable (which is usually well before it would cause it to not drop free), easily 30 or 40 drops. The Gen3s now have a spring steel locking plate, which I've found to be even better than the stainless steel plates, and I've yet to bend one of the black ones (I've put the spring steel locking plates on all of my extensions); I've accidentally dropped a fully loaded mag on concrete with the spring steel locking plate and it did not bend.

Aaron Marco, AKA Dr. No on this forum, used to be on the H&K shooting team, and is a LEO and SWAT team member that has also had lots of success with the Taylor Freelance extensions, both for competition (he's a GM in production, IIRC) and on duty. There are many threads on the Taylor Freelance baseplates on this forum, if you do a search.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! Definitely going to look into the TF mag extensions. Thanks~!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the Springer Precision and Taylor Freelance to different companies?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Do you have a pic of your TF mag extensions?
Two carry mags on the left (Gen2s), two practice mags on the right (Gen1s). You can see how beat up the practice mags get. The engraving of the "TF" on the bottom is pretty random, IME, but I believe most of them come engraved. The FDE is factory Cerakote.

The one on the right has a "competition" locking plate, basically you only have to unscrew it slightly to move the plate out the way, makes it easier to clean between shooting stages. I have a couple because Robin ran out of the regular ones for my order, but I've not had any issues using them, though I don't do the cleaning thing.

You can see the one on the left is a lot more beat up, where the magazine has deformed the baseplate some what. It still works fine, no issues feeding or dropping free, and it's been dropped quite a bit on the concrete, so it's only natural, IMO, that the softer aluminum gives way to the harder steel.

Here's how they look in the gun:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wouldn't suggest the HKParts extensions unless you are willing to do a little bit of tinkering with your magazines. They definitely will fly apart if used as directed.

·
Priest of the P7
4,878 Posts
I wouldn't suggest the HKParts extensions unless you are willing to do a little bit of tinkering with your magazines. They definitely will fly apart if used as directed.
I shoot with the HKparts extensions regularly and have never had a problem. Even put them through a three day class and they never came apart or had even a hickup. Always fed, the mags always slide free. Maybe I got the only 4 good ones.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's a lie. I have the +5 by HK Parts. I didn't have to modify anything. Just installed and it was good to go. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Two carry mags on the left (Gen2s), two practice mags on the right (Gen1s). You can see how beat up the practice mags get. The engraving of the "TF" on the bottom is pretty random, IME, but I believe most of them come engraved. The FDE is factory Cerakote.

The one on the right has a "competition" locking plate, basically you only have to unscrew it slightly to move the plate out the way, makes it easier to clean between shooting stages. I have a couple because Robin ran out of the regular ones for my order, but I've not had any issues using them, though I don't do the cleaning thing.

You can see the one on the left is a lot more beat up, where the magazine has deformed the baseplate some what. It still works fine, no issues feeding or dropping free, and it's been dropped quite a bit on the concrete, so it's only natural, IMO, that the softer aluminum gives way to the harder steel.

Here's how they look in the gun:

Two of those are loaded backwards

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
jerkman, you don't load your mags that way?? The HK pistols are so sophisticated, they automatically spin the bullets to their proper seated position before being fed.
Much like that old Nakamichi Dragon tape deck which spun the cassette by itself to play side two.

jeesh :)

:) smiley faces mean their is humorous sarcasm in this post, as we ALL KNOW hope americans can get so defensive about every little thing, i figured i may as well put this spoiler in it to avoid any anger management issues :)

:690::690::690::690::690::690::690::690::690::690:

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
jerkman, you don't load your mags that way?? The HK pistols are so sophisticated, they automatically spin the bullets to their proper seated position before being fed.
Much like that old Nakamichi Dragon tape deck which spun the cassette by itself to play side two.

jeesh :)

:) smiley faces mean their is humorous sarcasm in this post, as we ALL KNOW hope americans can get so defensive about every little thing, i figured i may as well put this spoiler in it to avoid any anger management issues :)

:690::690::690::690::690::690::690::690::690::690:
I am highly offended by your personal attacks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have heard from a pretty knowledgeable guy that there are feed issues with them when loaded to capacity, due to the fact the rounds are not supported on the sides at the very bottom, in the sense that there are no ridges to keep the stack consistent.

Two of those are loaded backwards
Bro... are you really gonna make me explain the joke?

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I have both and use them in competition. I love hkparts but the set screws on the extensions are a pain. I had one come apart in a match and they came loose a lot. The x-tech are much easier to use and mine have been 100% reliable so far, always loaded to 20

1 - 20 of 36 Posts