HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened the first time I shot an MP5. I took the gun apart, and realized some of what went into the design. The quality, the engineering, the overengineering actually. A true system approach. And then as with many of you, I started to experience their different firearms, and realized that there was some serious quality going on here. I started doing some research, and realized that there was not much information out there to be had, especially about those in Germany who are responsible for "the most advanced tactical firearms on Earth." Once I read about the G11, it was all over for me.

At HK, like the engineers under Kelly Johnson at Lockheed in the 60s who were responsible for the SR-71, an aircraft that to this day cannot be matched in speed, altitude and a host of other records, the engineers who conceived of the G11 were still years ahead of everyone else in firearms design. That intrigued me to no end, and my voracious appetite for knowledge was getting stifled by the lack of info that was readily available.

I started gathering literature, and found that the German produced literature in the form of cut sheets and trifold brochures had great photography and really showed off the guns. Before I knew it I had a literature collection, without ever intending to have one.

I had talked about putting together a website, and this site debuted, very incomplete, in April, 1999. My skills as a web designer leave a lot to be desired, but it is the content that makes HKPRO attractive, I believe.

HKPRO the name just came out of my head, as a desire to have a website name that is more catchy than "Tom's Totally Ate Up Unofficial HK Page." Know what I mean? I think it works well.

There are many here on this board who know who I am. It is not a secret, though I appreciate people not divulging it unnecessarily, I am still uncomfortable about it. I am a pretty private person I guess, as much as having an Internet presence can give you privacy.

Someone on the other thread said that I have incredible access. I do not work for the company, but I am in law enforcement. I am a certified Master MP5 Instructor, and HK armorer, among other things. Now maybe you can see why I always hammer on the legal issues surrounding this site. I don't accept ads for hi cap SOCOM .45 mags or USP45 mags or 'white' USP9 or .40 mags, (except the few that larryccf brought in with his P8 pistols.) Crap, there is another unfinished page, the P8! :) You know full well that many in America want to do away with private firearms ownership, and the Internet attracts the few that want to make it bad for the many. I am confident that most ALL of the visitors to my site, and you the regular members are law abiding citizens and quite a few LEO's who just want to be left alone to enjoy their [lately demonized] hobby.

HK in VA has been very kind to me, and is very supportive of the website. After all, it is a rather large free commercial for them, is it not? They have not just handed me scads of literature, but with specific questions, they are good about helping me. I have no idea how the Germans at HK feel about the site. One of my great goals, is to get to Oberndorf, and hopefully that will happen next year.

Some of you have suggested that I write a book. Folks, that has already been done, most recently by Manfred Kersten, and Walter Schmid. The anniversary book is the most comprehensive book ever written about HK, and is one of the few books out there that I would ever pay a bunch of money for something that I can't read. Actually, I rely on my four years of HS German that I now wish I had paid much greater attention to for information for the site that comes from that book. It is rumored to be available in English someday, and if and when that happens, you will have the most comprehensive work. There is no need for me to re-write it. Those authors being German got much more access than anyone from the U.S. coming in cold could ever hope to get.

Sometimes people wonder where I get the great photographs. Most all of the photographs come from books and magazines that you can own, except I guess now 'HK-Die Pistolen' is out of print. The most amazing thing is the amount of people who from all over the world are sending me pictures, especially for the HK in Action pages.

This website is taking on a life of its own, and it is very gratifying. You cannot imagine the amount of traffic, and it is most all word of mouth for the most part. There are a lot more things planned for the future, and it is just a lot of fun to do. I am thinking about starting a page for YOU to display your collections, as the result of visitor input to the suggestion boards. What do you think about it? I don't want people with gun poses, but static collection shots that are of decent quality might be doable.

Think about this, all you who read this post. HK is not just a gun that you own! Maybe it is like a fine collector automobile, like a fine sports car, that you care for and only drive when the weather is perfect, or like a Harley motorcycle. There is a pride of ownership that comes from it, and causes you to want to own a shirt, or an HK knife or jacket, or to visit a website that adds to your enjoyment.

I hope that you will continue to enjoy this website as much as I enjoy making it. I don't feel that I am ever going to be "finished" and I hope that I never am. With your help, it will hopefully continue to improve for many years to come.

--Tom
(HKPRO)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the bio info. I've been curious, too. I doubt anyone wanted to know your favorite color or birthday. What you told us should suffice.

It sounds as if gathering HK information has been a quest for the Holy Grail for you. Keep it coming. I appreciate your efforts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First thing I did this morning was to look up your site with my coffee in hand. I was not disapointed! Best,Robert

------------------
"Endurance"

[This message has been edited by RSLINTII (edited 06-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RSLINTII (edited 06-12-2000).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just assumed that it was a group of people who managed this site, not just one man! Wow! That's impressive.

I visit this site on a daily basis because the information is so current and reliable. The internet has a lot of information, but determining what is credible or garbage takes great effort. At times, it seems to have become a high-tech version of the telephone game.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication. This is truly the finest site on the internet.

G

·
0 Posts
HKPRO-

Thanks for putting this site together. It gives everyone an opportunity to learn from each other. I have surely learned a ton. In fact, I am rather new to the world of HK and often find myself clicking back to the Table of Contents when reading threads to get more information on a particular weapon.

HK should really sponsor this site. Of course, I guess in a way they do, but with information instead of money. Still as you said this is a HUGE advertisement for them.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Kenny

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I too thank you for putting this site up. It's kind of like a friendly bar or coffee house that I stop by almost everyday just to see whats up. Sometimes I hang out awhile and some times I move on. Not to mention backround pictures for my desktop have come from this site for the last year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks Tom! Great story ... I guess you're just like many of us, HK enthusiasts - but you have taken the initiative (and time) to put this site together for MANY of us to enjoy. Again, kudos to you.

I hope you acheive your goal to visit HK in Oberndorf. If anyone from HK-USA reads this, they should gladly offer to pay for your trip after all you have done (and continue to do) to promote HK products and image. Have you been to HK-USA in Sterling yet? On your way to Germany, HK should also have you as their guest in Virginia!

In regards to a picture post for our collections, I think that is a great idea. While you have some fantastic photos in your "World of HK", there are many more photos out there.

Keep up the good work ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's funny. The first thing I did this morning was come to this site too, and this was the first thread I checked.

Great post, great board. I'm over the decision of whether or not to buy HK now... it's just WHICH ONE?

a proud member,

Erik

·
Registered
7 Posts
A certified Master MP5 Instructor? Damn, you're my idol!!! Way to go, keep up the good work, etc., etc.

One thing I've noticed is that HKPRO looks at these boards and posts replys pretty much EVERY DAY!!! I don't know of another internet board administrator that's so dedicated to his site! It's great to know that ideas, suggestions, questions are being listened to on a regular basis!!! Wow!

As far as a site for people to post thier collections, sounds great, but I think it would help if you made some sort satement regarding a privacy policy. The only thing stopping me from listing my collection on the "biggest HK fan" thread is that even my closest friends don't know the full extent of my addiction. I don't want people to really know exactly what I've got, but if I'm just some anonymous nickname (and I KNEW it would always stay that way) then it's no big deal. I'm not trying to be paranoid, just private.

[This message has been edited by HK33KEA3 (edited 06-11-2000).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
What more can I say???

Thank you for all your hard work and dedication!

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
HKPRO you are my idol. I am going into criminology in Canada so that i can become a police officer. It is what eye really want to do, and i even have to get laser eye surgery (another 3000 grand on top of my school fees) I get so excited when i think about being in Law enforcement, except for the fact that in canada law enforcment officers are very restricted in what guns and ammo they can carry. Here back up weapons are not allowed (RCMP only get their 9mm S&W model 4096 stainless) and we up here are usually slower into changing calibers. the 9mm is still too popular and the 45 looked at as to leathal. According to all FBI tests, in all reality it does not matter what cal, but if you even hit the person , preferably more than once (double tap center mass) Anyways, you ahve the best site I have ever seen, and i visit more than once a day. Great job.

have any good pics of the Stainless 45??? (USP of course)

thanx again

Surefire

G

·
0 Posts
HKPRO is the best gun-related site for more than just the fine photos and articles. The congenial atmosphere here is HKPROs greatest asset, which is a direct result of Tom's great attitude, even with the very few who try to foment discord. I was curious how I got to be a Senior Member, but since I stumbled across the site in July of last year, I guess that expains it. I like Tom's analogy to Lockheed, since I have been a member of Lockheed's club since I was 10-years-old (that was 1961 when I first shot there), and probably was spanked on occasion by the SR71 team. Too bad the club didn't have HKs back then, although we were shooting German firearms with Anschutz. My only suggestion here is don't equate HK with Harleys (typical American junk), but with fine BMW motorcycles.

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks Tom for this wonderful site and for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Well HKPRO I've only been here a very few months but in that time I've managed to achieve a senior member posting status, I guess I'll just leave that as a reflection on my appreciation to your dedication to the HK firm. I would like to say that you have one of the best sites on the net and from the names on the boards I think it's pretty obvious you have a serious dedication of fans. Which leads me to make a statement that I originally made in the suggestions board some time ago. That of adding a chat room to the site. I think you'd be amazed at the reception you'll get...and It'd be nice to visit with you yourself some evenings. Thanks again for not only a great site but a great meeting place for like minded individuals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
don't equate HK with Harleys (typical American junk), but with fine BMW motorcycles. [/B][/QUOTE]

yep. BMW motorcycles are only the best on the planet. Mmmmmmmmm. that R1200C sure loooks good. great choice on bikes there.

surefire

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all for the kind comments! As for chat, stay tuned; it is coming, as are other exciting changes. I only equated the Harley Davidson with HK, not for a quality comparison, but for the fervor that their devotees display about owning one. They can't hold a candle quality wise to German or Japanese bikes, but they have quite a cult following, don't you agree?

--HKPRO

·
Registered
13 Posts
GEE WHIZZ, I go on a 4 day camping trip and come back to find a posting revealing the background of our gracious host. I hope it is not too late to chime in . First of all Thanks for the info HK PRO it gives me all of what I have been wondering about you but was afraid to ask or maybe afraid isn't the word .I am very appreciative of the time and effort you put into this site and you do it with such enthusiasm it easily transfers to the visitor rather they be regular or occasional.Secondly as far as motorcycles go I will wait until my father wills me his Zundapp to make a final decision on which 2 wheeler I will dedicate my attention to. THANKS again and again for your marvelous site it is an asset to all who own or even have any interest in the finest tactical firearms ever known to man!

[This message has been edited by corporal jj (edited 06-12-2000).]

1 - 20 of 138 Posts